FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

DawnL
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Health question....Is it normal to have a fever while on antibiotics?

It's me I am asking about. I am sick, and have felt horrible for days. My sinuses were bugging me, my left eye was awful (red, etc, I thought it might be pink eye) my glands swollen, and just generally felt awful. The physician's asst. gave me an ointment for my eye, as he said it was viral conjunctivitis. A few days later, my eye wasn't really better, and it spread to the other one. Still feel terrible. Worse even. This time it's a nurse that helps me, and she gives me Azithromycin, as I'm allergic to Penicillin. I had an ear infection, sinuses were still terrible, sore throat, although it wasn't testing as strep. She also gave me something to squirt up my nose, to try to get the sinuses swelling to go down.

Today was my third day on this antibiotic, and I have felt horrible all day. My eyes are still really bad, and I've felt all day like I should just curl up in a corner and sleep for 3 weeks. Of course, I can't do that, especially this time of year. I skipped lunch so I could lay down for 45 minutes. That's all I had time for. I actually lost the van in the mall parking lot, and wandered around for a full five minutes with the baby, looking for it in a daze.

Now I am running a slight fever. It's only 99.7, but if I have a fever, something is usually pretty wrong with me. Shouldn't I not be running a fever then, if I am on antibiotics? Especially the third day. I don't expect to be completely better, but really, I feel worse, and now have a fever on top of everything. I would think I would be slightly better. I have been taking DayQuil and NyQuil, too, to try to ease my symptoms, as well.

So, should I wait until after the prescription, which is 2 more days? Or do I really have to drag myself back to the Dr for the third time? Sorry to be whiny, but I am not normally sick, and I totally do NOT have time for this. It's making me really grumpy, too. You do not want to be grumpy while dealing with a mouthy 4 year old all day. It's not pretty.
    DawnL Jim 21 wonderful years!
    Daphne-artist Jeran-future Spiderman Jalen-future Nascar champ

2. Advertisement

JanetOH
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like the antibiotic you were given is not working for the problem you have. I would call and tell the doctor and perhaps they can call a stronger antibiotic in to the pharmacy.

Same thing is happening right now with dh. He has been sick for 9 days...getting worse, not better...has a fever for several days (low grade like yours) and taken Amoxicillin for 2 days and tells me he is worse.

Hope you feel better.

Janet
    Janet
    Aaron & Andrew 11/16/00

Adrienne
    has status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Angelic
    antibiotics won't helpp with a virus and that is what it sounds like you have. I have been feeling much the same for 5 days with swollen glands and aches and such.

I hope you (and me) perk up real soon!

Adrienne

beautiful boy

stacyleigh
    Happy:)
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    Hi

I am sorry you are not feeling well. As the previous poster said, antibiotics do not help viruses on bacterial infections. With that said, My hospital doesn't consider 99.7 a temp. Anything over 101 is a fever.

A fever is actually a good thing, it is your body's way of fighting off the infection. The important thing is to make sure your fever is not too high, ideally we keep it below 104, but we will actually not even treat a fever until 101. Another thing is too keep yourself hydrated.

hope this helps. I hope you feel better soon.

Stacy
    me 38/dh 44, Severe male factor
    IVF#1 Brooke 4/26/07
    IVF#2 BFN
    IVF#3 Twins! Paige and Patrick 5/8/2009

FET#1 2/2012 Cancelled due to a natual miracle due 10/3/12!

DawnL
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, this does help. I didn't want to have to go back to the Dr if I didn't have to. I have only been on antibiotics once or twice as an adult, so I wasn't sure if I should be concerned or not.

My baby has an ear infection, too. He had a regularly scheduled Dr appt yesterday, and the Dr discovered it. So he's had 2 doses of antibiotics. He was not himself when we went to the mall today for Christmas pictures. He was not happy for pictures, but luckily he didn't cry when we took Santa pictures. As soon as we were done with Santa, though, he just started screaming. Dh took the boys to the car while dd and I finished up at the portrait studio. The baby was still screaming when we got to the car. He actually fell asleep, mid-scream, on the way home. Poor little guy!

To top it off, when I got him up from the crib this morning, the antibiotics have already given him stinky diapers. This will not be fun. But I sure hope his ears give him a break. I gave him Tylenol in the car before we left the mall parking lot. I hope that helps him, too.
    DawnL Jim 21 wonderful years!
    Daphne-artist Jeran-future Spiderman Jalen-future Nascar champ