FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

momla
    now has a status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hopeful

Anybody work for UPS, DHL or FedEx?

What kind of educational requirements do you need to be a delivery driver? I'm asking for my bil who has his GED and no college. Do they make pretty good money?

Thanks!
    Momla Mommy to (10), (7)
    Baby Girl due April 27th!!

"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss it you will land among the stars." ~Les Brown

2. Advertisement

LandJ
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I think Athena used to do some holiday work for UPS. One of my best friend's dh is now a mucky wuck guru for UPS. He started as a part timer right out of high school and worked his way up as he completed college at the same time. I'm not sure, but they may have paid for his college, too. He's now 41 yo with his Masters degree and is pretty high up on their chain of command.
    8 years old

PrincessBride
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have two BILs that are UPS drivers, one with a college degree and one without. But, they both have high school diplomas, so not sure about the GED. One's been driving for years and the other has worked in the warehouse for years, waiting for a driving job. He just got that last year. I'm not sure about salaries.
    ~PBH~
    Mommy to a Grasshopper, Fairy and a Butterfly
    *Angelita Marie held in Grandma's arms until I come home & Precious Brother resting with them in the presence of Jesus*

AmymOH
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    No college needed for UPS or FedEx. I don't know about DHL but I'm assuming none there either. UPS and FedEx both pay pretty decently for drivers but they're hard as heck to get into. Usually you have to start in the warehouse loading and even those jobs they usually only hire people part time then you work your way up to full time, then you can put in for delivery job openings when they become available (which isn't real often from what I've heard). DH was interested in it, so he could be home nightly, but we can't afford for him to be part time forever waiting on the job.

Dh has also been trying to get into being a Schwans driver. They're pay for a route driver isn't too shabby either. With them, you can start right out delivering and no college is needed either. You may want to suggest them to BIL as well.
    "If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

Amy, mom to:
    DD N-7/24/89
    DS C-3/30/91
    DS M-9/01/93
    DD C-9/29/95

I'm at 50/50...2 of the 4 is of legal age and I still have my sanity...well somedays anyway!

Staceytoo
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    BIL is UPS driver and he started out loading the trucks early morning. It took him a while (couple of years) to get a driver job. So he worked two jobs at the same time because loading was only parttime. I think he is making mid 50's.

Staceytoo

Staceytoo
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sorry forgot. BIL no college degree but HS Diploma.

Staceytoo

Adrienne
    has status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Angelic
    I have a friend that has worked for UPS for 25+ years. He has HS and some college. Not sure about the requirements. good Teamsters benifits.

PS Does he have cute legs? That is a "requirement"

Adrienne

beautiful boy

sista
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My boss has a son who works at UPS and they pay well, and also will pay for college.
    Mom to DD E,11
    DS D,9
    DS N,7
    DD A,5

Louisette
    got accepted into the Family Nurse Practitioner Program for Graduate School starting Fall '11

Post Thanks / Like
    My twin brother started out in Fed Ex with a GED and they paid for his college and now he is a big wig in their new facility outside of Atlanta.

Good luck to your BIL.

Just Today
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did the hiring of drivers for UPS for 15 yrs. You don't need to have a h.s. diploma (a G.E.D. will suffice). It is is a union position and, at the time that I worked there, the hiring procedure was 4 inside promotions (part-time union employee) to 1 outside (non-union) hire. The outside hire also consists of ANY part-time non-union employee that already works for UPS (ex: part-time supervisor, administrative....). The easiest way to try to get in is in the seasonal period (which they are most probably already in the process of--the first big training session for drivers begins the Friday & Sat after Thanksgiving). Sometimes, with luck AND if you were an extremely good worker, if full-time positions open up in the New Yr (or shortly thereafter) you can get hired back on permanently. Requirements for package driver: 3 yrs clean driving record, current valid license and ability to pass physical examination and pass the road test for class c non-cdl license (can take the road test w/UPS supervisor, which are certified by the state to test, to obtain Class C non-cdl license. The ratios to which they can hire from the outside (or non-union) vary from local to local (union agreements) so the amount of time it can take varies also. A class c non-cdl is different from a cdl---non-cdl is driving a vehicle up to 26,000 lbs (not semi or over the road type vehicles). They also do hire cdl drivers for the X-Mas season, but they ARE required to already have the cdl license and still have to pass the UPS driver test as well as have clean driving record, pass physical exam and, I believe, 5 yrs of driving experience. UPS pkg drivers pay scale is very good (somewhat dependent on the driver and how good/quick they are). Tractor trailer is an extremely desirable position because it is considerably higher (and also hiring is based on seniority/local union agreement for ratios).

FEDEX is a non-union company. From what I remember, they are required to purchase the delivery truck and responsible for the maintenance/upkeep of the vehicle. I know that they are still non-union, but not certain if you still have to own the vehicle or not.
    Last edited by Just Today; 11-06-2007 at 10:22 AM.