FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

McKenna
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

How soon do you resume normal activity after a laparoscopy and D&C?

On Friday, I had my 2nd laparoscopy. My first one was 6 years ago. The doc removed some endo during that one. This time, I also had a hysteroscopy and D&C at the same time. Thankfully no endo was found!!! But hopefully the D&C will take care of whatever was leftover from the fibroid I had last year and stop the heavy bleeding and clotting I've been having.

It seems like I am getting all kinds of conflicting info on recovery times. I just feel more wiped out after this lap than I did after my last one. One incision seems to be slightly infected also. I just generally don't feel well, but I am back to full-time mommy duty this afternoon. Right now both of my girls are gone on a field trip with oldest DD's school. DH took them (God bless him!). When they get back, I'll be back to lifting and chasing, etc. Is it too soon for that? I'm still having some major pain from the CO2 gas they put in my abdomen. It feels like I have a broken rib or something, but I can't take any pain meds because they knock me out. I haven't even had the prescription filled.

So, how long should I "take it easy?" Does it depend on my health prior to surgery or is it a pretty standard recovery time for everyone?
    McKenna

Me (34) DH (35) Together 19 years!

#1 M(8.5) SPD, ADHD, AD-NOS
    #2 O(6.5) SPD
    #3 G (7/11/09 - 11/20/09) Down syndrome, congenital heart defects, subm. CP, syndactyly - died in my arms after open-heart surgery
    #4 L (7 mos) ASD heart defect - closed by 6 mos

6.5 years of IF

There is always a choice - choose life!

2. Advertisement

maryP926
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't base it on what people say, every person is different, and so is every surgery. They tell you it's a few days, but I always need at least a week to resume my normal activities, like laundry, etc. The last Lap I had, I didn't pick up my kids for at least 5-6 days (geesh, that was tough)
    Hope you're feeling better soon. Take it easy
    Me 37/DH 38
    Twins R & T 3/14/06

"Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born, I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. " --Maureen Hawkins.

nicci
    stressed
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I had my lap done I was very very sick from it. So take your time when you get back to doing things. If you are still having problems call your dr and see if there is something you can take without knocking you out. Hope you feel better soon.

McKenna
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maryP926
    Don't base it on what people say, every person is different, and so is every surgery. They tell you it's a few days, but I always need at least a week to resume my normal activities, like laundry, etc. The last Lap I had, I didn't pick up my kids for at least 5-6 days (geesh, that was tough)
    Hope you're feeling better soon. Take it easy
    That's kind of what I was thinking. I guess it really varies. My usual health problems have been aggravated by the surgery, so I just feel zapped. On the day of my surgery, I came home and slept off the anesthetic for a few hours. Once I woke up, I went into the kitchen and started doing the dishes. After I'd finished loading a load, I just about passed out. Since then, I've been trying not to do too much. But I just can't let things get more behind than they already are. So I've been doing dishes and laundry for the last 2 days. I've put away about 7 loads of clothes. DH did help...a little bit.
    McKenna

Me (34) DH (35) Together 19 years!

#1 M(8.5) SPD, ADHD, AD-NOS
    #2 O(6.5) SPD
    #3 G (7/11/09 - 11/20/09) Down syndrome, congenital heart defects, subm. CP, syndactyly - died in my arms after open-heart surgery
    #4 L (7 mos) ASD heart defect - closed by 6 mos

6.5 years of IF

There is always a choice - choose life!

BC-MAV
    has Queen status
    Board Coordinator for Surrogacy BB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I don't know... I have only had a D & C at one time... and a laparscopy at another time. The only thing I know is that the RE said to wait 3 cycles after the D & C to try to conceive... having that funny AF right after the D & C, then 2nd AF, then the 3rd regular AF. Don't know about resuming activities. We went to Disney World a few days after my D & C and I was fine physically.
    MAV Mom to

B (13)
    A (9)

(4/99) (4/05)

_g_
    has no idea what this status is for.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine
    everyone bounces back differently. try not to over do things. to answer your question, i went back to work the next day and worked at our church carnival after work. i felt better to stand and move around.
    g
    9 yrs 9/14/01 twins 8 yrs 1/24/03 6 yrs 1/11/05

Daje
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I resumed normal activities after my D&C...I had been bleeding for 12 weeks so I felt TONS better that the bleeding had stopped. Plus I had a 4month old and a 2 year old, moving and a husband that couldn't take off work...so I was sorta forced

After the lap, pre-kids...I was off work for a week. But that was before kiddos, when I was allowed to lay around and before childbirth...I think I'm much tougher these days!

JanetOH
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure what to tell you about the recovery time...however, when I had the laps done, I had the horrible gas pains as well. What helped...I know this sounds weird, but lay upside down (prop pillows up so there is a little "ramp" next to a bed or sofa. Lay that was for about 10 minutes or so several times per day. It helps the "gas" to be absorbed by your abdomen, not your diaphragm.

Janet
    Janet
    Aaron & Andrew 11/16/00

jillgalindo
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Bored
    I have had 2 laps I chose to do my first on a Friday and the next day I was out shopping. I was in a little pain but walking around helped me I was back at work the following Monday. My second lap was because of my tubal. I had that surgery on a Wednesday and by Friday I was out and about and not in any pain. Both of them were before baby.
    me 33 mommy to Zoey 4 years old
    TTC #1 02/01
    It's a girl Zoey Lee-Ann born 12/13/05 1:29am 6lbs8ozs

frdzgrl
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had the most trouble after the anesthetic, and the gas issues. I had my lap on a Friday and was back to work on Monday, but this was pre kids. I took it easy all weekend, but felt weird going back to work on Monday. In retro--probably should have taken it off. I think it was a week before I felt like "myself" again.
    -Nikki

DD: 10-6-2006
    DS: 10-22-2008