FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    kary
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Sad

help-how do i stop the dog from eating the kids toys?

when we got nemo, i explained to the kids that they needed to put their toys away or there was a chance the nemo would get to them.. in the last two days, he has chewed on the pen for maddy's leapster, ripped the nose off jake's webkin, chewed the dress up party dress of maddy's and chewed holes in i think 2 stuffed animals of maddy's (can you see a pattern? maddyi s the least neat person in the house) while they are out today, i am going to put her stuffies in her net and sort of pick up her room-i have told her to close her door but i noticed last night that it does not "catch" the correct way, so off to home depot for me later.

but i need help. jim is starting to get ticked and i don't blame him. tia

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best
    of everything;
    they just make the best of everything they have!

www.AllWrappedUpandMore.com

http://tinyurl.com/2btdbfc

2. Advertisement

kary
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Sad
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsmom
    Can you use gates to confine the dog to a certain area of the house so that it cannot get to things? Is this a puppy or a dog with bad habits?

we have a crate but HATES it and will cry forever until you take him out. i noticed he does this at night mostly. the dog is 1.5 and we have had him for about 3 weeks. he has been really good about not chewing until recently. he was a rescue so i really don't know if there were issues before

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best
    of everything;
    they just make the best of everything they have!

www.AllWrappedUpandMore.com

http://tinyurl.com/2btdbfc

DrAussieMom
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    OK - there are two philosphies in my extended family. Here they are:

Our neighbor is a K-9 cop. he says, when you catch the dog IN THE ACT to take whatever it is and tape it in his mouth, but make sure to be there, so he is OK and able to breathe OK. Basically duct tape it in for about 5 minutes. My Dad and brother tried it with their dogs, and they NEVER chewed ANYTHING ever again. I can't seem to get myself to do this, so we tried other things, that have minimized it, but not solved the issue sompletely.

We have one area for the dog's chew toys - only one - so they dogs knows what is his. everything else on the ground is off limits. He knows, but something sneaks stuff outside.

Also, pick a saying "What is this" is ours...... say it any time he is bad. We have a "time out" area, which is his cage - but he LOVES to be in there, so it really doesn't help too much.
    Me and DH.
    - DD is over 2 now!
    - One Bundle of Joy a few months old!

DunkinGirl
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Oh, boy. I have many, many dog-chewed toys. Oddly, it is our older dog that is prone to chewing the kids' toys. The puppy is really good about only chewing her own toys.

I used to keep toys in the pack & play, but I doubt you still have one set up!

One thing you can try. If you catch the dog in the act, have one of his own toys to replace the thing you are taking away from him. Speak sternly when you are taking the first toy away, and praise him when he starts chewing on the appropriate doggy toy.

Keep anything sentimental or irreplaceable out of the doggy's reach!!

Good luck!!

I'm heading out today to get replacement toys for the exersaucer - our older dog chewed about 3 toys from that when J was a baby, and we're getting ready to use it for the new baby.

Suzie
    DunkinGirl

lilysmom
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    we buy those over sized bones and let the dog chew on that. but he has chewed toys and shoes.

our dog is an outside dog so if the kids leave stuff out there, its not the dogs fault.
    Mom to Lily & Claire

pattycakemom
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Mellow
    we have a terrible problem with this and have yet to find a solution.
    K and R

7 years IF

Life is not what we expect or want...Life is about what is. How we respond to what IS makes the difference.
    two miracles:

Louisette
    got accepted into the Family Nurse Practitioner Program for Graduate School starting Fall '11

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a spray called "Bitter Apple" sold in pet suply stores. It works wonderfully but the downside is that you won't know what to spray it on until he starts chewing something.

If you see his chewing something he shouldn't say "No" and replace that with an acceptable choice for the dog. Kong toys are great since they are indestructible.

good luck!

jan21
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some dogs are just more oral than others.

We are on our 2nd Golden Retriever. They chew on EVERYTHING, especially as pups. Our 1st Golden was 3 when our twins were born, so by the time they had "toys" he was older and didn't bother with them.

We now have another Golden who is a bit over a year. Our trick for getting him to stop chewing? Access. Whenever is not fully supervised he is gated in the kitchen or in his crate. When we do catch him chewing something, we immediately say "no" and give him one of HIS chew toys/bones etc. He is finally starting to "get it" and go for his stuff first but we still have to take away the kids' stuff all the time.

BUT we also are trying to make THEM responsible for it - if he is chewing something of theirs it's because THEY left it on the floor. They are old enough to NOT leave their stuff on the floor (whether or not we had a dog) and if he chews up something, we give them little sympathy.

We've used Bitter Apple but I would hate to have to put it on the kids' toys.

Another thing that will help with the chewing is make sure the dog gets plenty of exercise and attention. Dogs chew out of boredom and frustration.

Janice
    Laura & Elizabeth 11/29/00

3monkeys
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jan21
    BUT we also are trying to make THEM responsible for it - if he is chewing something of theirs it's because THEY left it on the floor. They are old enough to NOT leave their stuff on the floor (whether or not we had a dog) and if he chews up something, we give them little sympathy.
    Same here. We have a lab retriever and she loves plush and plastic. My kids (after 2 years) have learned not to leave any precious ones within her reach. On a more positive note, I have gotten rid of MANY of these annoying plushes Unfortunately, along the way, a Webkinz lost its nose and 3 Care Bears lost faces. Maddie (our dog, not your DD!) loves to chew the faces off the animals and then she takes the stuffing out.

Danielle
    is having a clomid nightmare!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Personally, I think it is more to do with a bad owner, than a bad dog. And I have a dog who chews everything she can get her little jaws around. And I am a bad dog owner!!! She is a small dog, but she doesn't get the exercise that she deserves!

Now, I'm not calling you a bad owner, but in my case and in the other cases that I know of, it is the same thing. The dogs aren't getting enough exercise or they are bored and they are trying to remedy their situation!

And remember . . . I AM A BAD DOG OWNER. My dog should hate me, but she is ever faithful!
    "Mommy to Bailey (b/d 9/3/01) "Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal"
    "Mommy to Jessica (b. 10/05/02)" "Before you were conceived I wanted you, Before you were born I loved you, Before you were here an hour I would die for you This is the miracle of life."

mom to Josh, Matt, & Brian and MiMi to Braden & Landen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast