FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    saphire
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

what do you have your kids wear to a funeral?

My uncle passed away and we are going to his funeral later on today. I have what I am going to wear but I am not sure what to put the girls in. I have dressy clothes for the boys that are comfortable for them, but what about girls, I guess I do have something for my four year old. But I need something for my one year old. Suggestions?
    Also, is red taboo to wear to a funeral? I was just thinking about it and for my ds his shirt is red, bottoms are navy blue. I am not sure what the funeral etiquette is.
    , , ,
    and three precious angels, gone but never forgotten.

If you're headed in the wrong direction, God allows U-turns.
    -unknown author

2. Advertisement

Kylie
    cool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    Just dress them nicely and don't worry about the color.

BC-MAV
    has Queen status
    Board Coordinator for Surrogacy BB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I generally wouldn't bring young kids to a funeral. I brought DS to my Mom's BF funeral and it was OPEN CASKET! I didn't know and had to quickly whisk away DS because I didn't feel he was ready to understand all this. Fortunatley another Mom had her 5 year old in another room playing with cars so DS was entertained. I had DS dressed in kaki pants and a short oxford shirt of a light color (either blue or white) and he had loafers on. I would tend to stray away from bright colors for myslef or the kids as most people wear dark colors or modest prints.
    MAV Mom to

B (13)
    A (8)

(4/99) (4/05)

McKenna
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My great aunt just died of cancer. It was open casket. I took both my girls, as they adored her and she adored them. I know my 2-yr-old didn't really understand it and will probably not remember any of it. But I explained everything, in advance, to both of my girls. We went over it all until I was sure they had as much of an understanding as they could have for their ages. My 4-yr-old was just wonderful about the whole thing. She said, "Great Aunt A has gone to Heaven now and this is just her old body that was sick."

I dressed my 4-yr-old in a nice summer dress (navy blue and white). She's totally comfy in dresses and loves wearing them. My 2-yr-old wore a 2 piece sundress-type outfit. It was cool and comfy yet looked dressy enough for the occasion. I do think comfort is very important for the little ones. Being well-behaved for an entire funeral is a lot to ask. So we have to make sure they are at least comfortable.
    McKenna

Me (34) DH (35) Together 19 years!

#1 M(8.5) SPD, ADHD, AD-NOS
    #2 O(6.5) SPD
    #3 G (7/11/09 - 11/20/09) Down syndrome, congenital heart defects, subm. CP, syndactyly - died in my arms after open-heart surgery
    #4 L (7 mos) ASD heart defect - closed by 6 mos

6.5 years of IF

There is always a choice - choose life!

HeatherMA
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    When my Dad died last summer I put my 6 year old in a nicer sun dress and nice sandals. I didn't take my 4 year old DS as he is a bit wild and I didn't know what I'd get in terms of behaviour..

I am sorry for your loss.

mommyatlast
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't bring them. My parents did the same thing for us -- kept us away from funerals until we were older....I am appreciative as an adult that she did that for us when we were kids.
    L, 41 Dh, 38
    6/29/05 "E"
    4/04/08 "JK"

lisa in venice
    has no status.
    Board Coordinator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Funerals are HUGE in the AA community so it is rare not to see children of all ages and lots of them at funerals, infact it is expected that kids will be there. Usually you just do dressy clothes in somber colors but a tradition that I think is sweet is that often little girls wear all white to funerals. In the old days children would wear white for several months after the death of someone signifigant.

lisa

mom_of_2_cuties
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    DD was one when my grandmother passed. I just put her in a cute skirt, and top(it just happened to be this past fall so it was a brown tone.) They don't really make black childrens clothes, so as long as she is comfortable that is all that matters, you want her to be happy and not fuss.

Jann
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,
    My baby is 5 months and he has already been to 3 funerals. Oy! Two of my friends' fathers have passed away and one friend's grandmother. I hope there are no more for a long time! Jann

marg
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Children always go to funerals in my family. It would seem strange not to see any there. They wear church clothes, whatever they have. For the boys that's typically khakis or blue pants with a dress shirt in any color. If the girls happen to have a dark dress they'll wear it but really any dress or sweater/skirt type outfit will do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast