FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BC-MAV
    has Queen status
    Board Coordinator for Surrogacy BB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

For urinary pain... AZO or Cystex or Cranberry tablets?

DH brought home 3 different OTC things.... AZO, Cystex, and cranberry tablets as I have had some urinary irritation this afternoon. I have taken the AZO red tablets before for urinary irritation/pain (maybe once a year?) and I had no uti and no fever and I was fine after a few days. I don't know what the cranberry pills do so I am gonna skip that. I see the ingredients are different between AZO and Cystex and have no idea which is better. AZO's active ingredient is a urinary analgesic (phenazopyridiine hydroyochloride) and CYSTEX active ingredients are and antibacterial and an analgesic (methenamine and sodium salicylate). Anyone know which is better for urinary pain... AZO or CYSTEX?
    MAV Mom to

B (13)
    A (9)

(4/99) (4/05)

2. Advertisement

lambchops
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Well...depending on what the issue is, you're just as good off to drink lots of water. FWIW, Cranberry is a diuretic which is what you need. Peeing out the bad stuff. But with that said, if you've got an infection you may need an antibiotic.
    --Shelly (31), DH (32)

Mommy to Zachary Nathan (5/6/6), Only Child...HELP!

Sevencagedtigers.com - Blog
    Flickr - Photographs
    Epinions - Product Reviews

JoanneNY
    Long time FTer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I don't know anything about CYSTEX, but I have used AZO and it relieved my pain pretty quickly.

Just so you know, these OTC meds are strictly to relieve pain until you can get to the doctor and get a script. They do nothing to clear up the infection. If you have a true UTI, as soon as you stop taking the OTC stuff, the pain will return and the infection will be even worse because it went untreated for longer than if you had the script to begin with. My doctor hates many of the OTC things that are around now because most are nothing more than a quick fix and keep people from getting proper medical treatment (not just in the case of UTI, but in general).
    Joanne
    Dylan ~ 9 years old and his ^i^ twin
    ^i^ 3/03

"All great ideas were crazy before they were brilliant."

BC-MAV
    has Queen status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Well what are the symptoms of a UTI? How would it get worse? Would you be in pain after you stopped the OTC stuff? Would you get a fever? I don't think I have ever had a UTI. Also how is a UTI diagnosed? Could I go to the RE? He is the only person I go to for paps... he is not a regular OB GYN... he does fertility stuff.... and he does my paps. So you think I need to go to the RE to see if I have a UTI?
    MAV Mom to

B (13)
    A (9)

(4/99) (4/05)

JoanneNY
    Long time FTer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BC-MAV
    Well what are the symptoms of a UTI? How would it get worse? Would you be in pain after you stopped the OTC stuff? Would you get a fever? I don't think I have ever had a UTI. Also how is a UTI diagnosed? Could I go to the RE? He is the only person I go to for paps... he is not a regular OB GYN... he does fertility stuff.... and he does my paps. So you think I need to go to the RE to see if I have a UTI?
    Well, you can google it to get really specific info, but generally the major symptoms are a frequent sense of needing to urinate (though many times it's just a "trickle"), pain when urinating, sometimes bleeding as well. Your stomach may feel very hard and even distended.

It would get worse because just like any infection, left untreated, that's what happens without antibiotics to attack the infection. Those OTC meds you're talking are not to promote healing - they will just give you temporary relief from the discomfort.

And yes, the pain will return when you stop the OTC meds - they just basically mask the pain. In fact, if I'm just late taking a dosage, the pain is back pretty quickly. Again, they're really just intended to give relief until you see a doctor - I believe it even says this on the box.

It's a simple diagnosis - just requires you to pee into a cup and they run a test on it. I go to my GP for it.
    Joanne
    ^i^ 3/03

virga
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    When my bladder gets irritable, I take cranberry tabs. It usually takes care of it and I'm succeptible to infections.
    Last edited by virga; 05-13-2007 at 08:23 PM.
    Mom to ~
    Daughter 8/91; Son 5/01; Son 12/03; Son [born and returned] 8/07

BC-MAV
    has Queen status
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    So I can go to my GP for it? He is uptown and the RE is a bit further out. But I already took some of the pills this evening so would it "mess up" the test? I think it colors your pee red!!!!
    MAV Mom to

B (13)
    A (9)

(4/99) (4/05)

JoanneNY
    Long time FTer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yes, you can definitely go to your GP - see my post above (I think we were posting at the same time).
    Joanne
    ^i^ 3/03

Ferret Mommy
    sure needs some positive thoughts! :)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    In Love
    Cranberry tablets help me if I feel the onset... but once the pain is there, AZO.. but you should see a Dr. If there is bacteria than it can turn into a kidney infection and those really hurt. I bet if you called your GP and told them you already started the AZO.. they may call something in, only cause having a test after your urine is orange wont do a thing for them. Hope ya feel better soon!
    Kat DH
    1/07 -
    6/09
    10/09
    3/12 -

Adrienne
    has status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Angelic
    After your Thurs Thankful post, it is possible you have a UTI.

I have some bladder irritation but not a UTI--I went to the MD yesterday and peed in a cup to be sure--and I got the perscription strength of Azo.

ETA: if you have a mexican market nearby you can get some dried corn silk and make tea from it for bladder irritation.

Adrienne

beautiful boy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast