FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions

Kim C
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Has anyone ever had a bone marrow test?

My best friend has a continuously low white blood cell count, and after trying a few things with no success, her dr. has ordered a bone marrow test for next week. She is a nervous wreck!

Can anyone tell me a little about this test? Thanks, in advance, for any information.
    Kim C. ~~S (13), L (16), & L (18)
    TTC for 8 yrs. after Tubal Reversal
    IVF cycle #1 - 4/2010 - m/c
    Hoping for a miracle!

2. Advertisement

Booker
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My 4 year old daughter just had one done on Tuesday so I can only speak from seeing it done. She was sedated completely so she didn't feel any pain. She was sore the day of the procedure, but she still got up and walked herself to the bathroom. She limped a little on the trip there but was walking pretty good by the trip back. She has not complained about back pain today and isn't limping. The sight where the needle went in is very bruised (she has low platelets so hers definitely bruised worse than a normal persons)

I have done quite a bit of reading about what a bone marrow donor feels and they all describe it as feeling like you've had a really hard fall. They say Tylenol helps and it should only be sore for a day or 2.

I asked the doctors and nurses if they had seen last week's episode of Grey's Anatomy where Izzy is a bone marrow donor and has marrow withdrawn. They all agreed that if they had to have one done that they would want to be knocked out. They do them on adult patients with local anesthesia, but there is pain involved. They were all upset that they showed Izzy using a wheelchair and being in so much pain. They are afraid the show might keep some people from signing up to be a donor.

Let me know if she has any more questions and I'll try to answer them or will ask someone here at the hospital.
    Booker

DD#1 10/00
    DD#2 8/02 www.caringbridge.org/visit/carolineharmon
    DD #3 3/06

MarieL
    is a happy camper.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Marielle has had a number of BMA's (bone marrow aspriations). She never had any pain or soreness afterwards, maybe because of her age? They put her under so she didn't feel it when it was performed. She was up and doing normal things right away afterwards.

I would venture to guess that the "not knowing" would make her more nervous than the test itself. Maybe even wondering what the results will show. The doctors must think that leukemia may be a possibility or they wouldn't be doing it....

Edited to add that Marielle never had any bruising after the test. There was a small band aid (you know the circle type that are about a dime big) covering where the needle went in and a little dot where the actual procedure was done. Marielle never had platelet problems, though, at the time of her BMA's.
    Marie L, Mama to Marielle, 9 and Rico, 8
    Mom to cancer SURVIVOR!

robli
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've had 2 bone marrow biopsies. I had Hodgkin's Lymphoma and the biopsies I had included marrow aspiration and a bone samples, so your friends may be different. The aspiration will be the same but they may or may not need to take a bone sample.

I had two completely different experiences with mine...two different docs. With my first I was given Demerol prior to the proceedure and it was still VERY painful. The second BMB was done with no sedation or pain meds and it wasn't painful, just uncomfortable. Really it depends on how well your doc numbs you up. Since your friend doen't know if her doc is a super nummer, I would definately request some sort of sedation or pain meds before the biopsy. If she is numbed sufficiantly the most unconfortable part is the aspiration itself...it's a weird uncomfortable pressure type feeling. The proceedure isn't very long and quite different than donating bone marrow. For the biopsy they only need a small amount.

I was sore for maybe 4-5 days afterward and took Tylenol for the pain. I did have a small amount of bruising at the sites.

Hope this helps. If your friend has any more questions or want's me to elaborate on anything, she can email me... rhall@ocsnet.net

Hope all goes well!
    Hugs to your buddy!
    Robin
    ~~~~
    Julia 10 yrs
    Christy 9 yrs
    Jason 4 yrs

lambchops
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I had one when I was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's t-cell lymphoma. They wanted to make sure it hadn't gotten into my bones. In any case, they did my bone marrow test in my pelvis (lower back). I had Demerol and something else (Attivan?) to make me "happy" and was awake while they did the procedure. I had some aching/pain after but during the actual procedure the pain was sharp, stinging and immediate.
    --Shelly (31), DH (32)

Mommy to Zachary Nathan (5/6/6), Only Child...HELP!

Sevencagedtigers.com - Blog
    Flickr - Photographs
    Epinions - Product Reviews

Louisette
    got accepted into the Family Nurse Practitioner Program for Graduate School starting Fall '11

Post Thanks / Like
    I had one since my WBC (White Blood Count) has been continually elevated. I had it in the Oncologists office without any sedation except lidocaine into the skin at the site where they put in the screw to screw it into the pelvis bone. It really wasnt that bad until they started screwing into the bone to get the sample. At that point, it was still tolerable but don't want to do it again if I don't have to...ever.

The worse part was when I was laying on my back and I ended up kicking the MD during the procedure. I kept telling him to move since couldn't be responsible for what I did with my leg and since he didn't listen and I wiggled a little and ended up knocking him in the head with the back of my leg. Oh well, warned you!

robin
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Dh had one done. No sedation. Some numbing. HORRIBLE. That was a long time ago, and he still gets pain at the site once in awhile.
    ~Robin~
    DD through adoption-8
    DS through IVF-6
    DS though FET-1
    3 angels in heaven

3boys2luv
    is melting!!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    BIL has had it done a few times due to his leukemia and treatment (because they could not find a match for him). It was local sedation and he was a little sore for a few days, but nothing that kept him from walking or anything that bad.
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by chickens.