FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

fetch
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Question diarrhea and vomiting toddler

I'm sure this has been discussed here a zillion times before, but I wondered if I could get some suggestions on things to do for my little guy.
    He's had diarrhea since Sunday and today he vomitted in daycare so they sent him home.

His appetite is okay, although not great right now.
    He's drinking okay too and WANTS milk although I was told to cut him off dairy for now because of this. He's sleepy, but not acting overly sick.

I bought some pedialyte and have bread, rice and crackers on hand.

So, any other suggestions? Is it better to feed him a little here and there instead of meals? Do I need to give him pedialyte even?
    How long will this last?

Thanks ladies!
    Last edited by fetch; 04-19-2007 at 01:54 PM.

2. Advertisement

OurFirst
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I let him drink as much pedialyte or tea or water as he wants, and I would let him eat if it wants it or not. My Ped said to just make sure they drink. The appetite will come back. I think what you are doing is great. I don't have any suggestions. I hope your little guy feels better soon.

Jen
    Mom to M J born 10.13.05

StaceyTX
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Honestly, I usually stop all solid food until we've gone a whole day without vomitting. But my children usually don't want to eat when they are sick. If it is just diahreah, I usually feed them the brat diet, bananas, rice, applesauce, toast, and we do oatmeal because it is bland and they love it.

When vomitting, I offer 1 teaspoon of applejuice (my boys don't like pedialyte) every 15 minutes or so, as long as they keep it down. Keeps them from chugging the liquid and throwing it all back up at one time.

The last virus we had lasted 5-7 days....but many only last 24 hours. Usually for us, the vomitting comes first, then diahreah.
    Born in Heaven 12/5/01
    9 years old
    7years old
    4 years old

"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - unknown

3boys2luv
    is melting!!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    bananas and broths are good, too. If he's hungry, let him eat and see if it stays down. If it doesn't, then I'd hold off on food for the rest of the day and then try giving him little bits here and there so it's not so much on his stomach all at once. Fluids are the most important, as Jen said, because you have to watch out for dehydration. Hope he's better fast.
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by chickens.

MichelleTX
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just went through this w/ds #2. It probably took a good 2 weeks before he could tolerate milk again. We gave him ice water w/a little gatorade in it (he will not drink pedialyte, makes him throw up, can't blame him really, it's disgusting). He took that fine so ped said to keep giving it to him. As far as food it's a good idea to stick w/the BRAT diet. Grayson still eats baby oatmeal so he ate alot of that w/gerber bananas or applesauce mixed in it. I used water mixed w/a little pedialyte mixed in for the oatmeal. He also ate ritz crackers, strawberry applesauce w/no sugar added, regular bananas, toast and plain rice. It was so tough because he loves to eat and he loves his milk. Milk made him puke almost immediately after drinking it. The ped gave him something for nausea. These little pills that disolve in your mouth. They gagged him so I melted them in his oatmeal.

I hope your ds is feeling better soon!

(((hugs)))
    Michelle
    Rylan 11
    Chloe 9
    Grayson 6

KittyAB
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would do the BRAT diet till his symptoms improve.

JJsmom
    has no status.
    Just East of West and slighty North of South
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm in the middle of a horrendous stomach flu with my 2.5 year old and got this info just this evening from the on-call nurse at our children's hospital:

When throwing up: No solids for at least 4 hours since the last episode. For the liquid, for the first hour give 1 tsp of pedialyte every 5 minutes and double it the second hour if it's tolerated and then keep going at that pace. If he throws up again, I am to start the process over at the beginning offering the smaller amount.

I was told that he needs to have one normal urine output diaper (meaning I don't have to search for the pee in it when I check but not necessarily bursting either) per 12 hour period. Should he cry without tears or feel dry mouthed to me before then, I am to call back.

I hope your little guy feels better quickly!!!!!!
    The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it. -- Flannery O'Connor