FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Jane Smith
    long time FTer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Mellow

Is this tacky? Giving used items as a baby shower gift!

Would you take a used item to a baby shower as a gift? if you were the recipient would you be insulted or upset to receive a used item as a gift for your new baby? By used item, I mean something like an exersaucer or big toy which was purchased at a consignment store. It was obviously in great/excellent resaleable condition. Item was cleaned and sanitized before being offered for sale. Is this tacky? Should a baby shower gift be NWT or in a box, unused.

2. Advertisement

Kristip
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess it depends how well you know this person and if you think they might be receiving these types of things? Personally, I would not have minded getting items like this as we were going to need them.

I would feel fine giving that to close friends or family in similar situations.

Kim C
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I think if I wanted to give a gift that was not brand new, I would gladly give it - just not as a shower gift.

I hope that doesn't sound bad...but I would purchase something new to give as a shower gift.
    Kim C. ~~S (13), L (16), & L (18)
    TTC for 8 yrs. after Tubal Reversal
    IVF cycle #1 - 4/2010 - m/c
    Hoping for a miracle!

Nova
    is enjoying one day at a time!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Amazed
    I think I would give something small and NWT at the shower and give the gently used item privately. But that's me -- the person you're thinking about may be thrilled to get any gift regardless of where it was purchased.
    ~*~ Calmed the metabolic mayhem that accompanies PCOS and IR with a variety of alternative remedies and therapies. ~*~

KittyAB
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have done that but it was not the only gift. I would tell the new mom I found this, its in excellant condition and here is a little something else I picked up for the new bundle of joy.

There is nothing wrong with second hand esp if its in good condition. Somethings the baby is not in long enough to really spend big $$$ on.

Jadeeye
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can I be very honest? Yes. I mean just for the shower give something NWT, something small, and then on the side if they don't mind you can offer the not very new stuff too. I know I never used anything used for my baby, but lots of my friends loved to receive good condition used stuff. So that's just me. But I definately would say, for the shower, give a little new gift!

My Angels
    Lil' Angel 04/11/05 (8w)
    Jada & Jaelynn 11/25/05 (22w) id twins

My big boy Damien Marlon 11/26/00
    My baby Dorian Jayden 02/26/08

Christina~FL
    has no status.
    Auction board
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Blah
    I personally do not mind using "used" things that are in great shape for my children, but I do not think I would give something used as a shower "gift" I think I would take something brand new as the gift and then give the used item separate.
    Mommy to D 4/03 & A 3/07

“Hold the cross high so I may see it through the flames!” ~ Joan of Arc

Zoey
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yup, tacky IMO. I buy my own used stuff cause we can't always afford brand new, but for a shower or gift from someone, I would like it new.
    ZOEY
    TTC SINCE 2001
    2001 (early m/c)
    DS - 7 DS - 5.5 DD - 5.5 DS - 3 YEAR OLD
    IUI & IVF
    LOVE AVON? I SELL IT! VISIT MY WEBSIGHT FOR GREAT DEALS AND SPECIALS!! www.youravon.com/khagedorn

LOVE BARGAINS? VISIT FT'S LIVE AUCTION BOARD!

JodieB
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have been torn by this before. I dont think that I would give it as a gift for the shower.

We all know its the thought that counts though!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    JodiebMommy to
    Ryland age 8 06/28/98
    Jenna age 7 07/18/99
    Joshua age 6 11/22/00

susane
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BC-Kim C.
    I think if I wanted to give a gift that was not brand new, I would gladly give it - just not as a shower gift.

I hope that doesn't sound bad...but I would purchase something new to give as a shower gift.
    this is what I did. I called her first said I had such and such that I would LOVE for her to have and brought it over. I brought something else new but it was a bit smaller than I normally would have bought.
    Susan
    Jake 8 yrs old
    Tyler 6 yrs old

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast