FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Monchhichi
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Tired

Ensure vs. Pediasure... big difference?

I picked up some Pediasure for my youngest. She is a very picky eater and is TINY. (She's pretty well fallen off of the growth charts. She's 21 mos and similar in size to a typical 9-12 mos old.) I figured Pediasure couldn't hurt... we give her one in the morning and figure at least she gets one meal in a day.

So... Ensure is on sale this week... for half the price of Pediasure. Is there anything harmful to toddlers in Ensure? If it's not as good for her, I will buy the Pediasure, but would love to save about $15 per case while it's on sale!
    Mommy to two beautiful girls:
    Jordan (8) - dx: Asperger's Syndrome, SID/SPD, milk allergy
    Brooklyn (5)- small but mighty!

Visit my online store!

2. Advertisement

darla
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    i would call a local pharmacy

or ask the nutritionist on the ensure site....
    http://ensure.com/ask/index.aspx
    Darla

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

Ellie Mae
    What does not kill us...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Amused
    My pediatirican had me giving Troy Pedisure and did not want me to give him Ensure. Then, I found out from the children's hospital nutritionist (and my new pediatirican) that if you mix a packet of Carnation instant breakfast with whole milk it is the same nutritional value of Pediasure...and cheaper!!! Now, Troy get's three bottles a day of whole milk with carnation. It has helped him gain weight, but he is still small.

Good luck!

16 15 13 6 5/05

BC-GoMom
    Jesus is the Reason for the Season!
    BC: Preg +35/Christianity
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    If you look there is a big sodium difference. My ds would swell when we would try Ensure- he was on pedisure for years... it was his sole source for nutrition for years through a g tube.
    some of the othr minerals were a little differnt too... ensure -if I remember correctly was very close in calorie/oz.
    HTH
    JenC

Laura1
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would not substitute ensure for pedisure. Ensure is for adults and pedisure is for children and I am sure that the electrolytes, supplements, etc. in there are adjusted so that the child gets a child dose and not an adult dose but I am not expert on these things. One thing that I use to give Miss K when she was off of formula was Similac2 made for the toddler as a substitute. http://www.amazon.com/Similac-Advanc.../dp/B000ARWL3M

Monchhichi
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Tired
    Thanks, ladies. I figured it wouldn't work but was hoping to save $15.

I will check that out, Laura. I know we had a sample of it here... I'll have to check it out in the stores.

Visit my online store!

kimmie
    is probably exhausted!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    We tried Ensure earlier this week, at the suggestion of the nutritionist at Maddy's GI doc, and it was a horrible experiment. She was very ill from the switch. The two are quite similar in calories, but quite different in nutritional values, according to the nutritionist.

I wouldn't do it without checking with a professional first. I know how expensive the Pediasure is ~ it is Maddy's sole intake (and has been since she was a year old). She's finally on the waiver program and gets it through insurance, now, so we no longer have to pay out of pocket for it. It was a long 9+ years, though. lol
    Kim, Mama to Maddy (age 17!!)
    Click here to visit Maddy's Farm (baby pics) or http://maddysfarm.blogspot.com/ or http://cdlsusa.org for more info on Cornelia deLange Syndrome

jillgalindo
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Bored
    Oh I wish they could drink ensure instead of pedisure. My dd drinks pedisure because she is int he 8th% for weight so her pedi said she needs 1 can a day. My grandpa passed away in Sept and had so many cases of ensure and my mom asked if dd could drink I told her I didn't think so. I just figured they call it pedisure for a reason.
    me 33 mommy to Zoey 4 years old
    TTC #1 02/01
    It's a girl Zoey Lee-Ann born 12/13/05 1:29am 6lbs8ozs

Monchhichi
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Tired
    Kim, my doctor would probably say, "Go for it!" He didn't even suggest the Pediasure... someone here suggested it when I had said that Brooklyn's percentile was dropping on the growth curve. Every time I ask my doctor, he just says, "She's just going to be little. You're not tall." However, I weighed her yesterday and she weighed 18.8 lbs (by my scale, which doesn't seem in sync with the doctor's scale, so she might be 2 lbs heavier than that), which is a pound drop in the past month. She is also very small, at only 30 inches. I did one of the online height predictors, and since it only started at 2, I estimated that she would grow 2 inches in the next 3 mos (though she hasn't grown at all in the past 3 mos) and it predicted her height at 4'10"! I'm short, but even I'm 5'3" and our donor was 6' tall, so 4'10" does NOT make sense!

Jill, how big is Zoey? She's 7 mos younger than Brooklyn, so I just wondered how big she was.

Visit my online store!

Monchhichi
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Tired
    Oh, another question... does it have to be Pediasure brand, or is the Equate (Walmart) brand equivalent?

Visit my online store!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast