FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Kim C
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

How important is a tetanus shot after injury?

I don't believe I've had a tetanus shot since '92. Late last week I got cut on a rusty metal curtain rod. It took a huge chunk out of the skin on my finger. I keep having people tell me I should go get a tetanus shot - but don't want to look silly going to my dr for a cut that is healing nicely & doesn't need stitches...but just wondered what exactly can happen if I don't get the shot right away?

Thanks for any info - I'm researching the net, too.
    Kim C. ~~S (13), L (16), & L (18)
    TTC for 8 yrs. after Tubal Reversal
    IVF cycle #1 - 4/2010 - m/c
    Hoping for a miracle!

2. Advertisement

AMF
    thinks Molly's status is a hoot!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Amused
    I am no expert on the subject, but had a lesson recently in Tetnus 101...

If you had one in 92 and not since, then you are no longer considered 'covererd'...you need a booster every ten years or after every 'incident'.

Looks like you are due for a booster anyway!

Good luck

Kim C
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Okay - another question - what if you are so terribly forgetful, that you have had one in the last 10 yrs but can't remember. If I get another, can it hurt me instead of help me?
    Kim C. ~~S (13), L (16), & L (18)
    TTC for 8 yrs. after Tubal Reversal
    IVF cycle #1 - 4/2010 - m/c
    Hoping for a miracle!

TracyinMN
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    I stepped on a nail at my brother's house this summer. It had been about 8 years since my prior tetnus shot. The nail just barely broke the skin, but my doctor made me come in for another shot. My understanding is don't mess with tetnus. Better to get an extra shot than to suffer the consequences of no shot. Besides - they're only good for 10 years anyway - you are overdue!

Go in girl!
    Tracy
    DH Mike
    DD Ella 9
    DD Grace 7
    Bonus kids: Christine 26 and Andrew 23
    Granddaughter Madison: 2!

TracyinMN
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    Quote Originally Posted by BC-Kim C.
    Okay - another question - what if you are so terribly forgetful, that you have had one in the last 10 yrs but can't remember. If I get another, can it hurt me instead of help me?
    I bet your doctor would have record of the last time you got a shot. Most doctor's offices are computerized these days and they can look up information very easily.

Give em a call and see what they say!
    Tracy
    DH Mike
    DD Ella 9
    DD Grace 7
    Bonus kids: Christine 26 and Andrew 23
    Granddaughter Madison: 2!

bearz
    in a state of constant confusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've always wondered this. I live on a farm, where we get cut/scraped all the time. I'm react terribly to the tetanus shot...my arm swells up like a football...so I haven't had the shot since about 1984. Just can't have it. I haven't had any problems, but I clean out the cut immediately and make sure to use lots and lots of peroxide. The thing is, before tetanus shots I never heard of anyone dying from tetanus, so I find myself wondering how much of a danger it really is.
    The Farmer's Wife
    As I chose him, I chose this land, this life
    And always knew that as his wife
    Midst labors never done. By love we three were wed. We and the land are one.

AMF
    thinks Molly's status is a hoot!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Amused
    I would ask Dr. for expert opinion...but ds has had a few in his lifetime..on schedule and following and injury...so he has had two in the last 4 years..

He seems okay to me..unless too much tetnus vaccine makes you a goofy teenage boy... then he's got that.....LOL

Seriously, I had a tetnus booster last year as well...cuz I couldn't remember the last time I had one either, turns out it was 7 years prior...

MarieL
    is a happy camper.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    You know, for me, I'd rather put up with the shot than what could happen:

What is tetanus?

Tetanus, commonly called lockjaw, is a bacterial disease that affects the nervous system. As a result of widespread immunization, tetanus is now a rare disease.

Who gets tetanus?

Tetanus occurs more often in older people and in agricultural workers for whom contact with animal manure is more likely and immunization is inadequate.

How is tetanus spread?

Tetanus is contracted through a wound which becomes contaminated with the organism. It is not transmitted from person to person.

Where is the tetanus germ found?

The tetanus germ is present throughout the environment and is commonly found in soil contaminated with manure.

What are the symptoms of tetanus?

A common first sign of tetanus is muscular stiffness in the jaw (lockjaw), followed by stiffness of the neck, difficulty in swallowing, rigidity of abdominal muscles, spasms, sweating and fever.

How soon after infection do symptoms occur?

The incubation period is usually eight days but may range from three days to three weeks. Shorter incubation periods are associated with more heavily contaminated wounds.

Does past infection with tetanus make a person immune?

Recovery from tetanus may not result in immunity. Second attacks can occur and immunization is indicated after recovery.
    What is the treatment for tetanus?

Wounds should be thoroughly cleaned, and dead or devitalized tissue removed. If the patient has not had a tetanus toxoid booster in the previous 10 years, a single booster injection should be administered on the day of injury. For severe wounds, a booster may be given if more than five years have elapsed since the last dose. Tetanus immune globulin (TIG), antitoxin or antibiotics may be given if the patient has not been previously immunized with a series of at least three doses of toxoid.

What are the complications associated with tetanus?

Complications include spasm of the vocal cords and/or spasms of the respiratory muscles causing interference with breathing. Other complications include fractures of the spine or long bones, hypertension, abnormal heartbeats, coma, generalized infection, clotting in the blood vessels of the lung, pneumonia and death.

Is there a vaccine for tetanus?

An effective vaccine called tetanus toxoid has been available for many years. Tetanus toxoid in combination with diphtheria toxoid and acellular pertussis vaccine (DTaP) is given at two, four, six and 12-15 months of age, and between four and six years of age. Children who are seven years of age or older should receive Td (tetanus and diphtheria) toxoid. A tetanus booster shot is recommended every 10 years.

What can be done to prevent the spread of tetanus?

The single most important preventive measure is to maintain a high level of immunization in the community.
    Marie L, Mama to Marielle, 9 and Rico, 8
    Mom to cancer SURVIVOR!

Briar
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    You are better off with a tetnus shot than without it. I have a cat bite that got infected(happened Friday afternoon) saturday it was really swelled.I THINK I had a tetnus in 03 but was not sure, so the doctor gave me another and said it will not hurt you to have another.
    Raising Teenagers is like nailing jelly to a tree.

3boys2luv
    is melting!!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    Well, when your finger falls off, you'll see.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. You're supposed to get one every 10 years, but getting them more often isn't a bad thing. We all had them before one of our moves (required for us adults as we were due) and then about 2 years later I cut myself and they gave me another one even though I wasn't "due" again.

Just go get the shot. It can't hurt to have it, right?
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by chickens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast