FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

ShariKay
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Need Ideas for Gift for Catholic Nun!

Hi Ladies! This is the second year I've been a member of the Friday morning Bible Study at my church and I would really like to give the Nun who coordinates the group a Christmas Gift. I was hoping to find a modest but thoughtful gift around $10 or $15. Something that wouldn't get put away but could be out all year 'round. Any ideas? They pretty much lead a life of poverty so I'm sure she would appreciate anything. Nevertheless, I hoped to find something "thoughtful" for someone in Our Lord's Service. Hope you can help. Thanks, in advance.

Hugs, ShariKay
    Hugs, ShariKay
    Mama to my precious 6-year old DS

3/22/01

"The only real disability is a negative attitude!"
    ~Scott Hamilton (Olympic Gold Medalist Figure Skater, Found of "Stars on Ice," and Cancer Survivor)

2. Advertisement

Bernadette
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    What a nice thing to do.
    I know gift cards sound boring, but they are probebly what she could use. ( drug store/ local food store ) Maybe make her some cookies or bread and add the card to that ?
    Bernadette

Anna....14
    Frederick 10, dx with autism at 27 mo old
    Grace 10
    Julian 2

MarinaTwinMom
    says hello!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine
    You could do something like a Barnes and Noble gift card, a Yankee candle (one of those nice, big ones that burn forever), or a CD of some music.
    and

KL
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have 3 Catholic Nuns in my close family circle. 1 is my husbands aunt and the other 2 are her "sisters" who are now as close as if they are our aunts -aunts by choice I call them. They do have limited resources like you mention. The things my family members appreciate are the things they would like to indulge in but might not always have the resources or might not allow themselves to do out of being conservative with their finances. In our case BarnesAndNobles is a great gift card because all 3 love to read. They also enjoy a bite to eat at a local family restaurant. And there is a clothing store they prefer to shop at (conservative but well made clothing that will last) and I happen to know that at the moment they are all light on clothing so this year they are all receiving a clothing item from this store along with the gift receipt in case my choice doesn't fit their exact clothing need. If I give a gift card I often wrap it with a small box of chocolates from a local chocolate shop that the whole family LOVES. And if you are not close enough to her to know what she enjoys you can always make a donation to a charity or a cause she supports as a gift in her name. Or how about a couple of passes to a local museum or tickets to the theater?
    Kim

Kaitlin & Laine . Aug 6, 2004
    We are 5 years old!!!

"Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand-and melting like a snowflake..."
    - Marie Beyon Ray

AmymOH
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    One of my nursing instructors was a Nun, and one of the most positive influences I've ever had in my life. Last Christmas I gave her a card with a heartfelt letter inside, along with a gift certificate to a local restaurant that she'd mentioned a few times in class that she really enjoyed but had only been there a few times (I'm sure due to finances). She never mentioned it to me in words, but I did get a hug with tears in her eyes after the next class. I knew "why".
    "If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

Amy, mom to:
    DD N-7/24/89
    DS C-3/30/91
    DS M-9/01/93
    DD C-9/29/95

I'm at 50/50...2 of the 4 is of legal age and I still have my sanity...well somedays anyway!

QTip
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amazed
    This is kind of a family joke, but my mother always remembered the nuns on Christmas and made a special trip to the convent to deliver her little gift to them. Every year it was the same things: homemade stewed prunes (this made us kids laugh to no end ) and a pair of socks for each of the nuns. The last few years, there were fewer nuns, and I guess more funds in mom's pocket, so she got them new lanz flannel nightgowns (personal, but they were friends with my mom).

Anything would be nice.
    Slippers
    scarf
    gloves
    nice socks
    tote bag
    Q-tip
    my 3 boys:
    Cabezon III (11yrs)
    Lauchita (10 yrs)
    Monkey (8 yrs)

mom_of_2_cuties
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My mom works at a Catholic school, and the nuns there love getting gift cert. to restaurants, because they can use it to dine in or take out, Since they are the only 2 in the convent it is nice, to have a break from cooking, plus it is something they would not do for themselves.

tessqt
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cool
    I second/third the gift certificates for bookstores or local restaurants! We don't have any Nuns at our school anymore but if I did that's what I would get. I am getting their teachers that anyway!
    Take Care and God Bless
    Tess

China Angel - 1998
    Korea Angel - 2000

Cat Mom
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    My Aunt is a Nun and she appreciates gift cards to restaurants and specialty food stores. Also, I know in the past some people have given her a bottle of wine, if that is something you are comfortable with. I guess it would also depend on the Nun, but I know my Aunt and several of the other sisters do appreciate a bottle of wine from time to time.

Tiffany
    Tiffany (36) DH (44)
    IVF#2, Baden Troy born 11/11/06
    Natural Surprise, Alexandra Elyse 2/14/08

www.custommetalart.etsy.com

AshleyR
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My step cousin is a Nun, and she always appreciated gift certificates, especially to restaurants.
    Happy Mummy to Our Haitian Princess Christina 7
    and Mummy to our China Prince, Jordan Li 6
    Homeschooling and loving it!
    Our beloved furbaby 04.12.1994-07.10.2008
    We love and miss you always.
    The Best Cocker Spaniel in the World