FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    katiesmom
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Confused

why is my baby so stiff?????

I have noticed this about her for about the past 1 to 2 months. She is so hard to hold on to becasue she stiffens up when she is held. She always arches her back and gets in this really tense position. When I try to sit her on my lap I actually have to bend her into place. I think that is why she does not do the bjorn or the sling well. I had her in the bjorn tonight while i was trying to do dishes and she was so arched that I could not even buckle one of the bottons. Her head was pressed into my chest (she was doing this herself) and stays that way. Should I be concerned or is this normal for some babies. Even my neighbor commented on it when she held her.
    Linda

TTC 4 years 6 failed Clomid/HCG/IUI
    *KB natural suprise miracle born at 28 weeks 9/14/99 due to HELLP syn.
    *JB another natural suprise 6/16/04
    AND BABY make three MADISON CLAIRE!!!!! born June 22nd 6lbs 2 oz our family is complete

2. Advertisement

jjejo
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My DS did the same thing. I think it is because they are learning to use their muscles and move different ways. I was worried at first but then figured he was just figuring out his body, and at 18 months he's a normal baby. I think it is a phase a lot of babies go through.
    Married to DH, Josh, for 3 years

DD - 11/10/03
    DS - 4/11/05

SM to for M&M EDD 5/8/07

pepper
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lindsay has preferred to stand for a long time now - especially with people other than me. Laying or sitting down makes her think of nursing or sleeping.

Joyous
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Inspired
    It's been awhile since mine were babies but I remember them doing that if they were mad or uncomfortable. Is that a possibility?

I wouldn't be to worried but if it's still happening at her next well baby appt I would tell the dr.

mellymom
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    the little refluxers don't like to be bent forward because the acid just bubbles out of the belly onto the esophagus. they do tend to not want to even nurse cuddled up sometimes.

melanie
    bio kids: abi 20 anders 19 aaron 16! wow, 2 in college!
    9/4/03 home with annie from guat now 8 (home at 8mo)
    12/14/07 fc adoption kendell now 6 (in arms at 4 mo)
    8/4/10 fc adoption christopher now 3!(in arms 9wks)
    12/22/10 fc adoption collin now 3 also (in arms 5.5 mo...K's bro)
    2 chromosomal mc's in 2008
    12/07 wife to my high school sweetheart FINALLY after 25 yrs!

Sophia1212
    loves laundry... when they are clean.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Tired
    It's so odd you brought this up because I was just noticing the same thing with my dd. When I hold my twins up by their underarms and tap their toes to the floor, ds will bounce his feet but dd stiffens up as if to stand, which is impossible since they are only 19 weeks old.

I plan to mention it to their pedi at their next appt.
    BFP on first IVF with triplets!!
    Little Angel lives on through them 12/15/05
    I never met you, but I know you. I never held you, but I feel you. You don't cry, but I hear you. Thank you for M and S. You would like them a lot.

RIP Shelbey (Aug 12, 2011) I miss you like crazy.

WillowTree
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't been experiencing exactly what you describe, but I'll share my own experience (our little man is 6 mos. old) - just in case it might help??

When my little firefly stiffens up his spine and arches, I translate this into baby-speak as, "I DO NOT, absolutely DO NOT like this. Stop right now!"

He'll stiffen when: he's bored, needs his nappy changed but doesn't want to lose his autonomy and would rather wallow in a heavy wet diaper, (this is a biggie at our house) when he doesn't want to leave a warm pair of arms to get buckled into the car seat.

He just arches his entire little body backwards, maintains this rigid stance, frowns furiously and starts screeching. Just last week we began placing him in those wooden kiddie chairs in a restaurant. When we tried giving him a few spoonfuls, he does the "1/2 - stiffy" : leans waaay back in the chair and points his chin and eyes to the ceiling - all to avoid the spoon coming his way. Again, for us, in baby-speak, "I'm not interested in this gruel you're offering. Get away! You think you can pull the wool over my eyes. Where's my mommy milk?! Now! "

So . . .your little girl may not love the Baby Bjorn - and may just prefer to ride in high warm style directly in your arms while being constantly cuddled. Babies have very different needs and desires.

But . . . that body arch stiffness? if I were a betting woman? I'd probably say she's telling you very simply, "no can do." So, congratulations! You've got a live independent wire there - she definitely knows what she wants and isn't about to let you lead her around by the nose like a trained seal or, in this case, by the Baby Bjorn.

wantsababy2
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My DD is 4 days older than yours and does the same thing.

For her, its gas. She arches, squirms and grimaces for a bit, then cuts a big stinky one and feels all better and relaxes again. DH calls her the exorcist because not only does she arch, but her head twists upward and almost all the way to the back, and always to the left side - truly scary looking. She does the arching in our arms, in her bouncer, on her activity mat, change table, anywhere. Sometimes she does it for 5 minutes or more, but usually just for a minute or two. Several times a day. Sometimes, there's a lot of leg kicking going on too until she can pass the gas.

We talked to the ped about this and he said as long as she's handling it OK (ie not screaming and no other signs of anything) not to worry.

KittyAB
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not help here. Alison was a kicker from the moment she was conceived! She didnt stiffen up but kicked (still does) while she is awake!

robin
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It sounds a little more than the "norm" that I've dealt with. You know what I'd do? Find a pediatric chiropractor. They are so tight in that womb, in all different ways...then get squeezed down the birthcanal (if you didn't have C). I had a relative who's baby was the same way, rigid. He was pretty grumpy too. Took him to the chiropractor and he was then the happiest baby ever. Just a thought.
    ~Robin~
    DD through adoption-8
    DS through IVF-6
    DS though FET-1
    3 angels in heaven

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast