FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

Lori
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mineral Oil for pooping?

My autistic son, 4yrs,3month has been potty training since Memorial Day weekend. He started off doing great - both pee and big poops in the potty. But, then, the poop thing got scary or something. And, he started retaining. He went 4 days without going -he would just have skid marks or runny poop in his undies.

So, we did suppository...NOTHING. The next day we did an enema...lots came out but it was really horrible for him.

So, I called the Ped who suggested Mineral Oil. I didn't want to do it...but, a couple days ago I felt he was leaving me no option.

Within 6-8 hours things did start to move...but, he was still able to hold it in. So, he was pooping several times in his undies or pull up.

Today, I gave him another teaspoon this morning. The kid has pooped 8times! Again, he just won't let it all come out. When I clean him up, I can see more is waiting right at his rectrum. But, he won't help it along! GRRRRR!

So...tonight I gave him another 1/2 teaspoon.

Has anyone used Mineral Oil for this on their child? How much did you give him? Did they have LARGE BMs or did they do what my son is doing?

Just curious....

Lori
    Lori

"C&N" 9 year old twins

2. Advertisement

maryingermany
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    yes, mineral oil is great.. I gave our son 1/2 teaspoon every other day.
    Mom of 6
    Military spouse on our 5th deployment

LandJ
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    When my son was 2 he was potty trained for poop, but then had a really bad experience with constipation. He then associated the pain of the constipation with the potty so he started to hold it. Our ped. told us to use a tsp. of mineral oil in his milk or juice (you can't smell or taste it) daily. It didn't really make him go MORE, just made it so he couldn't hold it. The idea was to watch for the signs and get him to the potty quick where he couldn't hold it. He was supposed to get the idea that it didn't hurt anymore to poop on the potty. I'm telling ya....all it did was make the poop REALLY messy in his pants. I couldn't get him to the potty quick enough. But it was only his usual once a day.....it didn't make him go more.

Your son is going more b/c of the amount of poop he's been holding all this time. Once he gets all that out of there it might be a little easier.

Hope things get better real soon!!!!
    8 years old

MomZ
    has no status.
    Board Coordinator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    We have had to use mineral oil before as well. It lubricates the intestinal wall to help move things along. It works for us.
    Extreme PCOS, Insulin Resistance
    Wife to Bill~May 10, 1997
    Proud Mom to Zachary~July 18, 2001

Robbie
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh yes! When my daughters get backed up it's the only thing that works. My ped recommended it.
    Robbie
    Mom to identical twin girls 1/27/03

JanetOH
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    May I recommend Aloe Juice. It can be found at health food stores like Whole Foods or Wild Oats.

You can put it in something else like juice or give it straight (my son would drink it from a little dixie cup). There are directions on the packaging for children. It works great. My ds has always battled with constipation and this worked wonders when we were potty training to keep things soft so he didn't have to strain for bowel movements.

-Janet
    Janet
    Aaron & Andrew 11/16/00

AEO&A
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    I second the aloe juice. We used the cranberry flavor from GNC and I would put it in his juice. E was a retainer and would have skids all day long in his underwear because he was holding it. When we started it, I had to give him a babylax glycerin suppository to clear him out and then after a few days of the aloe juice he was going at least once a day instead of the once every 4-5 days he was doing before. We don't have to use it anymore because he is no longer holding it and goes pretty regularly.