FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

momla
    now has a status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hopeful

Recurrent toenail breaking/falling off/breaking/falling off...

Anyone have this? I have no idea why this is happening to me. I have a podiatry appt on Tuesday but I would love to hear from anyone who has this and now has beautiful toenails! LOL!

About a year and a half ago my big toenail on my left foot broke horizontally near the base. I couldn't remember injuring it but thought oh well, it will grow in and the old one will fall off. And it did. Then it happened again. And again. And again. Now the big toenail on my left food is fractured in 2 places horizontally. There is no toenail fungus and I have not injured it. I do not wear dress shoes except for church and special occasions. I wear those OR clogs to work and I wear tennis shoes (Adidas) or sandals the rest of the time. In the winter I do wear some other shoes but quite a variety and many of them I've had longer than I've had this problem.

Now it is happening to my right big toenail too.

It is so ugly. I keep them painted b/c it is less noticable but now I can't go without nail polish b/c it is stuck in the cracks on my toes and I can't get it off. So, right now I have no polish but I have red polish stripes on my toes. It is beautiful!

Anybody have this or know why I am getting this??? I've asked a couple of my partners (we're all family practice physicians) and none of us know.
    Momla Mommy to (10), (7)
    Baby Girl due April 27th!!

"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss it you will land among the stars." ~Les Brown

2. Advertisement

DKNY
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    are you certain there's no fungus of any sort? also, usually when there's a recurring problem with nails, it can often be blamed on a damaged cuticle bed. but you said you don't remember injuring it....hmmm...i'm very curious. let us know what happens after the doc. i'm sure they'll fix you up.
    Dina

I frizzle chickens!!

momla
    now has a status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hopeful
    Nope, it's not bumping. The clogs are those soft spongy things anyways. And, nope. No fungus. I'm sure. It doesn't look at all like a fungus infected nail. It is just a clean crack right across the nail near the base and then it grows out underneath and the top part falls off--repeatedly.

I am anxious to see the podiatrist. I kept waiting thinking it would just work itself out but it isn't.
    Momla Mommy to (10), (7)
    Baby Girl due April 27th!!

"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss it you will land among the stars." ~Les Brown

AthenaD
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Maybe the nail bed dried up the first time that it came off?
    me (41) dh (49)
    R 3/06
    A 11/07

Adrienne
    has status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Beats me but my dh's toenail were doing that before he got his diabetes diagnosis. He had two toenails that were doing that but now they are growing out fine. I believe your partners could figure if that was the problem.

Adrienne

beautiful boy