FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    saphire
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

how many Christmas gifts do you buy your child?

We are started to Christmas shop but I have no idea how much to buy. They have so much already. We usually buy a ton but this year we are cutting way down because our house is being overtaken by toys.
    Just wandering how many gifts you buy for your kids.
    , , ,
    and three precious angels, gone but never forgotten.

If you're headed in the wrong direction, God allows U-turns.
    -unknown author

2. Advertisement

smileygirl
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    We are definitely setting a limit this year! We just don't have the room for much "stuff," especially with a new baby coming and all the equipment that comes with it!

Brooklyn and Blake are both getting 12" bicycles with helmets, Brooklyn is getting princess dress-ups, Blake is getting Buzz Lightyear and Woody dolls, they are both getting the Disney Memory game, pjs and a few hand puppets.

In their stockings, they are each getting a DVD, a CD, flashcards, Blake is getting two Thomas trains and Brooklyn is getting a Barbie.

We're actually pretty much done shopping for them- WHEW! I'm happy with what they are getting and they really don't know the difference if they don't get anything more!
    Lindsay
    & ~ 02/03
    ~ 01/06
    ~ 12/08
    ~ 12/11

Danielle
    is having a clomid nightmare!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    We always say we are setting a limit, but we end up going way over that every year. Our house is overrun with toys, too. However, that hasn't stopped me from buying her a doodle bear, a dora dominoes game, a few other odds & ends, about 15 different things from the Angelina Ballerina stuff, and she is still getting a my twinn doll. My mom and dad are buying her the stage 2 lifestyle deluxe kitchen, also.

That doesn't include what my grandparents will buy her, which will probably be mostly clothes, thank goodness.
    "Mommy to Bailey (b/d 9/3/01) "Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal"
    "Mommy to Jessica (b. 10/05/02)" "Before you were conceived I wanted you, Before you were born I loved you, Before you were here an hour I would die for you This is the miracle of life."

mom to Josh, Matt, & Brian and MiMi to Braden & Landen

3pookies
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Fine
    Well, we don't celebrate Christmas, but we do celebrate Hannukah. I like to buy the kids something for each of the eight nights. Not because they need it, but mainly because I never got eight presents as a kid and I was always jealous of those that did. Our house also seems to be overtaken by toys, so I am trying to limit the amount of toys I buy them. This year they will be getting some dvd's and books as part of their gifts. I'm also trying to buy some accessories for the toys that they already have. For instance, a cartridge for Jillian's Leapster.
    Meredith
    Proud Mommy to Jillian - 6/02
    Noah - 3/04 and
    Sari - 3/06

nicole
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    way too freaking many

This year my sd is getting an ipod and probably $10 in small gifts. So she'll get about 5. Nick will have more than I'd like to admit, and Ethan will probably get about 7-10. And this isn't including santa gifts
    sd 22
    ds 13
    ds 8

Mrs M
    married
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine
    Waaaaaaaaaaay too many. We are also trying to cut back this year. My Mom is coming over for Christmas and she thinks that we go way overboard - so I think we will cut back this year. DS is getting a cellphone and some books and games for his ps2 and computer, goggles and a helmut for skiing and DD is getting a razor scooter, American girl accessories and some other stuff. She wants a my Twinn but she already has American Girl dolls so I am thinking it would be a waste.
    Sue
    DS 18 DD 12

Somewhere in your make-up there lies sleeping, the seed of achievement which, if aroused and put into action, would carry you to heights, such as you may never have hoped to attain...

Greekmom
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I think last year each one received 5 from us. We will be doing the same this year.

Payton was an only child for almost 5 years. We spoiled him and I noticed by around age 4, he didn't appreciate the gifts he was receiving at all, he just wanted the next one. I call this the "spoiled factor".

Last year with them only receiving five, they were all happy with their gifts and we spent more time picking out the perfect gifts and not buying everything.

They receive other gifts, so they are well taken care of, they aren't overwhelmed and they appreciate the ones they receive.

This works for us.
    IUI
    IVF
    Birthday Surprise

mmi
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My kids usually have between 15-20 things to open each. Usually that includes one big thing, this year that is Marisol for my oldest and the Bitty twins for my youngest from American girl. I bought them both in March when I had a good coupon code. I just got 4 Hasbro games off toys r us, they ended up 5 bucks a piece with free shipping..... so even though they get alot of presents, I dont' spend a fortune. I am sure as they get older, the number of presents will go down as the price of their gifts go up. My kids only have one grandmother so they don't get many gifts from grandparents and my side of the family quit exchanging a few years ago, we just try to go to some fun thing together(like a sporting event or something). So beside what santa and we get them, they really don't get much else.
    3 years and 15 medicated cycles(clomid, injections, iui's, ivf's, fet, you name it) and 2 angels before finally getting princess 1 (1999)

2 injection cycles for princess 2(2002)
    Truly miracles!

"Life isn't measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

CathyNY
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    We have had to cut down for the very best reason: Nicky got totally overwhelmed the first year he really understood Christmas by the massive amount of gifts and absolutely let us know that he did NOT appreciate it. We do many fewer now. Nicky tends to get nice toys throughout the year--usually whenever a therapist tells us he would benefit from such-and-such--so we that's another reason not to go overboard on Christmas. I think last year I took a page from my Jewish friends and Nicky got eight--but that included his Christmas sweater and books and CDs. I may take a page from Greekmom's book and cut down to five. That sounds like a sensible number to me.
    Cathy
    and Nicky, seven years old

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.
    --Beverly Sills

Rebekah
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well,. I don't think we've ever had a set number of gifts that we get., but we do try to keep it to about $100 per child...for my son it can be less because he's only 4 and you can buy a lot of 4 year old toys for $100! I do try to keep the gifts even in number between the kids (making sure they each have the same number of gifts as each other) which can be challenging. I think this year we're going to try to scale back a little because ds's birthday is the first part of October and my twin dd's birthday is the end of November., so they will be getting tons of gifts from those and we already have more toys than they know what to do with! lol
    Very blessed SAHM to:
    16 16 10 5
    "It is no slight thing when they, who are so fresh from God, love us."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast