FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Miscarriage, Low Progesterone, Low HCG

Somedaybaby
    Confused, but can't wait to get to the bottom of this!

Post Thanks / Like

Question Miscarriage, Low Progesterone, Low HCG

I've had two miscarriages now. I'll start with the reason for my post:

I'm second cycle post-miscarriage (which occurred in November, doctor attributed it to low progesterone, .7 at 6 weeks). I finally purchased an OPK, to pinpoint my ovulation, as we have utilized the "Fertility Tracking" for birth control, utilizing CM and temp to detect O, and we've had two instances where I ovulated earlier/later than expected, resulting in pregnancy. Well, the first cycle after miscarriage, in December, I ended up with a yeast infection two days before I started bleeding for my period. Period was short and strange, but I attributed it to my hormones. I had also started temping mid-cycle after the miscarriage bleeding, and my temps were my typical 97.9-ish range. Well, before period, temp shot to 99, during and after my period, my temps leveled out and have stayed consistently in the mid-98 range, with a few 98.9's in there. My new OPK did not detect ovulation this month, although it's possible I missed it, bc I bought and started using it on cycle day 16, anticipating O on CD 18 or 19. I don't know what's going on. Neg. pregnancy tests, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything because I've never tested positive before 5.5-6 weeks, anyhow. I don't know what to think, any thoughts?

History:

I have a better understanding of Fertility Tracking now, but I'm glad for the pregnancies when we weren't trying, if for no other reason than that I have now realized I have a problem. We want children, and apparently don't seem to have a problem conceiving, but instead, with carrying to term.

The first pregnancy, I never really knew what was going on. I suspected I was pregnant and tested before, during and after my "period", and it was negative. I found out I was pregnant two weeks after my "period". I only tested mid-cycle because I was bleeding, in addition to other odd symptoms, which had never happened. My first HCG was 31. My next was "no longer registering a pregnancy".

The second pregnancy, I wasn't planning, either. October 2015, I found out I was pregnant. Nov. 8 I miscarried. We weren't actively "trying", but we were excited. I again found out I was pregnant two weeks after my "period" in October, and luckily (ironically), had a pre-existing appointment for a pelvic exam with my OB/GYN. Because I was positive for pregnancy on an HPT, but bleeding, and had a history of MC, she tested HCG and Progesterone. HCG was 38, and Progesterone was .7.

By the time I had follow-up blood drawn, my HCG was 8. Had one last blood draw to confirm my body had taken care of itself. My doctor advised that, for future pregnancies, they'd prescribe me progesterone supplements, and advised a pre-conception appointment. My appointment is this afternoon. Anyone have similar experience?

2. Advertisement

TTCyears
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Bashful
    I had 6 pg losses and IMHO my progesterone was low b/c the pgs had already failed (in retrospect to uterine and tube abnormalities). During testing in ovulatory cycles, I had 7dpo draws to confirm my P4 peaked above 10 and although my late dpo P4 was low I had a short LP, so that made sense. When I did have success (after uterine surgery) my P4 was fine during pg.

When my hCG drops below 100, my body cycles (P4 drops rapidly and I ovulate shortly thereafter). My body is a machine that way - no early loss is going to stop my cycle, we're moving on here! (unless I take P4 supps and then it f's everything up for a few weeks or months). I suppose the idea that P4 doesn't "hurt" a pg makes it something to try, but in retrospect the 2 times I did that it needlessly elongated my early losses and caused me more stress (since it wrecked my next cycles also). But if you are the person it does make a positive difference for, then it's worth a try. If I could go back, I would not have done so. But then hindsight is 20/20.

My ectopics had AF followed by late BFPs. Those are dangerous pgs. When I tracked the recent one I realized I actually got an early BFP, it went to BFN I bled and then I got a BFP again. Dangerous. I mention this since your BFPs have been late. Ectopics are rare, so wishing yours is something else.

Wishing yours is something very treatable, or that it was "bad luck" (two chromosomally abnormal pgs) and that the future is happily uneventful pgs!
    Thanks Somedaybaby thanked for this post

Somedaybaby
    Confused, but can't wait to get to the bottom of this!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your response and insights, I really appreciate it. Sorry for delay on my end - I had lost my login credentials and couldn't figure out how to respond - finally tried to register a new name, and it then prompted to reset my password

That is very interesting, about the late positives being ectopic. I'm so sorry for your losses and difficulties, and very much appreciate that you've shared your experiences with me.

I've since had more testing, and been tracking my periods very consistently. I also have a short luteal phase, which I've discovered since my initial post. I've had quite a bit of blood work done, and an MRI of my pituitary recently. I'm heterozygous for MTHFR, have a pineal cyst, a rt frontal lobe meningioma, and am hypothyroid. I'm FINALLY going to an RE at the end of this month, and also to a neurologist due to the incidental findings on my MRI (the cyst and meningioma). Hoping to get answers.

How are you doing, currently?

Beth641
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    sorry for your bad incident.. God bless you
    Thanks Somedaybaby thanked for this post

TTCyears
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Bashful
    I'm heterozygous for MTHFR and recently developed a thyroid tumor (under observation). Oh, the joys of human body and healthcare. I'm ok; I am transitioning from IF/RPL to life after and it's good but hard. I am glad to see you are taking next steps. FX, FX!
    Likes Romy69 liked this post

swiftmood
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am sorry to know your story. Have your considered doing PGS NGS or karyotyping?