FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

uclalum
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Who prescribes Clomid

Do you think that my regular doctor will be the one to suggest/prescibe Clomid, or do you think that I will be referred to an RE for that?
    I noticed some people on this board were prescribed Clomid before seeing an RE.

2. Advertisement

Linaa78
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    When you say regular doctor do mean the doctor that you see if you have a cold or your OB/GYN?? I was first RX'd clomid by my OB/GYN. I am not sure if your regular GP doc would RX it. Perhaps you can ask your OB/GYN next time you go in.

shellsxj
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got my first two rounds of clomid from my OB/GYN

uclalum
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Linaa78
    When you say regular doctor do mean the doctor that you see if you have a cold or your OB/GYN?? I was first RX'd clomid by my OB/GYN. I am not sure if your regular GP doc would RX it. Perhaps you can ask your OB/GYN next time you go in.
    I have a primary care physician who isn't an OB/GYN but she does do all of my pelvic examps/pap smears, testing for thyroid, etc.
    I'm not sure why I wasn't given an OB/GYN in the first place. I just went to who my insurance told me to go to because I didn't want to risk not being covered.

I told my doctor that I wanted to conceive and she said that she wold refer me to an OB/GYN when I got pregnant.Well, yeah, great.... ....but what if I don't get pregnant? How can I get prescribed Clomid by an Ob/GYN if I don't have one?

What do ya'll think.

stef_b
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some general practicioners will also do all the gyno stuff (paps, ultrasounds, deliver babies, etc). My GP sees babies, children, adults, pregnant women through their pregnancy and delivers their babies, too. If you have a doc that does it all then they would be the ones who prescribe Clomid. If they don't deliver babies, they will not prescribe Clomid. Generally, a doctor will not prescribe the medication if they do not intend to follow you after you're pregnant. So, whoever you plan to go to when you're pregnant, that's who you should go to to see about getting started on Clomid.

My OB prescribed Clomid. I did not need an RE for it.

mamamolly
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you get to the point where you need treatment, then you can either ask the GP for clomid, or you can get the OB/Gyn referral for the clomid. How long have you been ttc? If there are no known infertility causes, then they say if you've tried for a year, then to move on to treatments or at least tests from docs if you're under 35, if you're over 35, then it's 6 months. (But if there's a known cause of infertility, like say you have ovulation or other problems then go in now)

uclalum
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mamamolly
    If you get to the point where you need treatment, then you can either ask the GP for clomid, or you can get the OB/Gyn referral for the clomid. How long have you been ttc? If there are no known infertility causes, then they say if you've tried for a year, then to move on to treatments or at least tests from docs if you're under 35, if you're over 35, then it's 6 months. (But if there's a known cause of infertility, like say you have ovulation or other problems then go in now)
    I have hypothyroidism. I take medication for it and my levels are pretty normal now. I noticed that the past 3 months that I ovulated on day 23 or later yet my cycles are only 30-31 days. I don't know if this short luteal phase is thyroid related or not. I'm willing to wait a few more months but I don't want to go a whole year.

Does anyone know whether or not LPD and Hypothyroidism are related?

mamamolly
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    ucla: I'm not sure if LPD and hypothyroidism are related (though I wouldn't be surprised), but if you're consistently having a 7 day luteal phase, then you do have a diagnosable (and treatable) problem right there-- because it would be really, really hard to get pregnant in a cycle like that. I would definitely not wait a year to get that checked on, no matter your age. I would talk to your PCP about it. Likely he won't know much about it, but he should give you a referral to at least an OB/Gyn, who can check you out, and from there you can decide on clomid, or progesterone, or whatever. Good luck!

Linaa78
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you are into taking herb/vits, vitamin B6 is helpful for the LP. Also progesterone or NPC (sold OTC) may be helpful. How are you checking ovulation, if you dont mind me asking?

uclalum
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Linaa78
    If you are into taking herb/vits, vitamin B6 is helpful for the LP. Also progesterone or NPC (sold OTC) may be helpful. How are you checking ovulation, if you dont mind me asking?
    I am checking ovulation by the opk's and bbt. I rely more on the sticks though because my temps are all over the place.