FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

life_in_mono
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

TORCH test

does anyone know if both male and female has to do TORCH test separately. i donot understand why men has to do TORCH !!!

2. Advertisement

MomZ
    has no status.
    Board Coordinator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I can honestly say I am not familiar with that test. Would you be able to tell me about it?
    Thanks,
    Julie

bes1622
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a good question. I don't think men have to do TORCH b/c it's only the immune status of the mother that counts since she shares circulation/blood with the fetus.

TORCH tests for:
    Toxoplasmosis
    Other [usually means syphilis]
    Rubella
    Cytomegalovirus
    Herpes

It doesn't matter as much if you've been exposed prior, it's just if you start out negative and THEN get infected, the fetus could become infected and potentially die. If you're negative for rubella antibody, you get the vaccine. You just have to avoid exposures to the others if you're negative.

MomZ
    has no status.
    Board Coordinator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Oh, ok. Thank you for explaining that for me!
    ~Julie

3 ladybugs
    has no status.
    IVF, Child loss, Cancer & IF
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Doh
    I am personally glad that my DH had to do all those tests.

If I have to take another syphlis test I may scream. I think I have had 4-5 of them done in the 4 + years I have been married or to get my marriage licence. I don't know how many negatives equal "I DON'T have it" but clearly it is more then 5. For me it is not so much about the test but the principle of it. They assume that either me or my DH is cheating on each other. What a wonderful way to say congratulations you are going to be a parent or I am sorry you are infertile!

Sorry that just touched a nerve with me.

Jennifer
    Jennifer (36) - Final try FET Nov. 12, 2012. You can follow my story at: www.OurUnplannedLife.com (Caution child, child loss, and cancer mentioned in blog)

life_in_mono
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    TORCH for Women i understand , its for the babies but for men @(#^!@*&^@ ??? but
    i've been told from the clinic that TORCH is a CDC requirement for both . They do for men if they have to keep the cryopreserve inorder to protect other preservation from contamination .Although we never had to do in hospital where the cryopreserve was kept initially . i think most clinic do unneccessary tests , when they see insurance will cover for it . Which to me is very unfair. my advise to everyone is to ASK "why this and why not that " .. in US , patient has the right to accept and refuse treatment . but in fertility clinics their attitudes are either its theier ways or highways . or maybe our RE are just showing attitudes cause we are colored . who knows !