FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

alison75
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Question confused about labs, LH, FSH ratio

Hi ! I'm 29 and I've been off BC for 16 months. I work in a laboratory and I have done some testing on myself off the record (shame on me). I know all of the standard normal ranges, but I'm confused about what the big picture should be telling me. I'm seeing a new Doc next month --my last Doc was just a Clomid pusher without any testing whatsoever. I know I should just wait and let her order the tests, but I was curious about what my "Day 3" labs would look like. I was thinking I might have PCOS, but now I'm not sure what's wrong with me... irregular periods, gaining weight-- especially in the middle, moderate acne, cholesterol and blood pressure slightly increased for the first time in my life, and I have been noticing 1 or 2 chin hairs popping up every so often (eeeek)

Here are my Day 3 labs:

E2 = 31 PROG = 0.6 LH = 1.3 FSH = 5.2 PRL = 7

what would my ratio be?
    LH/FSH = 0.25 FSH/LH = 4.0 which one is it?? and what does it mean?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated, thanks

2. Advertisement

MomZ
    has no status.
    Board Coordinator
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hello,
    I dont really know much about the ratios. But, it does sound like you might have PCOS. Have you checked your insulin/blood sugar at all? That can be a tell tale sign also. You have one leg up over all of us, being able to do your own labs!
    GOOD LUCK
    Julie
    Last edited by MomZ; 03-27-2005 at 02:39 PM.

DrAussieMom
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Alison - I don't have the answer, but am VERY interested in the answers you obtain. I get my results back tomorrow on my CD3 tests. When I find out more answers, I will post them (or site, as I do the research).
    Me and DH.
    - DD is over 2 now!
    - One Bundle of Joy a few months old!

DrAussieMom
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I did some searaches on the net:

LH: < 7 mIU/ml. A normal LH level is similar to FSH. An LH that is higher than FSH is one indication of PCOS.

FSH is often used as a gauge of ovarian reserve. In general, under 6 is excellent, 6-9 is good, 9-10 fair, 10-13 diminished reserve, 13+ very hard to stimulate.

In PCOS testing, the LH:FSH ratio may be used in the diagnosis. The ratio is usually close to 1:1, but if the LH is higher, it is one possible indication of PCOS.

Most of the other websites I looked at said that LH:FHS ratios or >3:1 is a problem for PCOS.
    Me and DH.
    - DD is over 2 now!
    - One Bundle of Joy a few months old!

alison75
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi everyone. Thanks for your replies

I did the thyroid tests and although they are within normal ranges, my FT3 and FT4 are at the very low end of the normal range.

I know a lot of my symptoms seem like PCOS, but my low LH doesnt' fit. I wonder what else it could be. It seems like I have a few symptoms of anything and everything I read about! lol I guess I'm just being paranoid.

I'm just going to try to relax and let the Doc figure it out. I see my new Doc April 15. I've heard good things about her. I'll let you know what she comes up with.

Take care, everyone