FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    wish4#2
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Taking Zantac- spit-up worse!!

I feel that once he started Zantac that he is spitting up MORE! (He has only taken it 3 times so far, 2x yesterday and once this morning) Has this happened to anyone? He is 6 weeks tomorrow - I don't want him in pain anymore - just want to help him - soooo frustrating!

2. Advertisement

hedgehog
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    I am sorry that you have to deal with reflux. My DD was on Zantac in NICU. One thing that we were told, is that it does not help with the amount of spit up. It affects the acidity thus making it not as painful when the stuff comes back up. Also, give it a few days to reach it effectiveness... Hang in there. I hope he'll be feeling better soon.
    Mom to three: , , and

mmi
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    The zantac does nothing to make spit up better or worse... it only helps decrease acid, only time will help the lower esaphogeal valve close and thus help with spit up. The zantac's main purpose it to decrease the acid in the spit up so it does not damage the esaphogus.....

Thickened feeds can help with spitup as like gravity heavier things stay down better than light. Children's Hosp in Pittsburgh goes from 1 teaspoon per ounce to 1 tablespoon per ounce of cereal in every bottle of formula/breast milk. Oatmeal cereal is less consipating than rice. Playtex ventaire bottles with a stage 2 nipple work well for thickened feeds.

Positioning will help a bit. We never layed either of our refluxers on their backs....even for diaper changes prop them up.

Reflux is a long, frustrating process and unfortunately hangs around for several months in most. Hugs to you.
    3 years and 15 medicated cycles(clomid, injections, iui's, ivf's, fet, you name it) and 2 angels before finally getting princess 1 (1999)

2 injection cycles for princess 2(2002)
    Truly miracles!

"Life isn't measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

Nukegirl
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    How do you prop them up for diaper changes? My daughter has reflux and we just started on the rice cereal but I had to decrease because of constipation and also give her the Karo syrup to help.

Isla Mujeres
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Our vomiting part of the reflux never seemed to get better. At 8 weeks I got desperate and started to track my diet. My son threw up after certain foods. I even called my pedi about it. She wasn't concerned. Keeping the journal was great and I was able to pinpoint the trigger foods... We still are on Prevacid for some reason zantac/axid and zegerid worked for about a week then stopped working.

wish4#2
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Isla - Curious - what foods triggered it or made it worse??

vraz
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    wish4#2,

What formula is he on? My son's formula made his GERD worse. Once I switched him to Gentlease, he did fine. He did not need meds anymore. Zantac eventually stopped working and so did the Prevacid. Talk to your pedi about possible changing his formula. I also did oatmeal cereal. 1tsp per oz.

mmi
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oatmeal is much less constipating than rice cereal...... definitely try it if you are havnig constipation issues.
    3 years and 15 medicated cycles(clomid, injections, iui's, ivf's, fet, you name it) and 2 angels before finally getting princess 1 (1999)

2 injection cycles for princess 2(2002)
    Truly miracles!

"Life isn't measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

wish4#2
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Vraz - my son does not have any symptoms anymore - this was posted back in June - the Reflux symptoms lasted only for a month - very lucky! By the way, he is on Nutramigen formula. I am happy that the Gentlease formula worked for you! I was just asking Isla what foods made his GERD symptoms worse - just curious - some days my LO is crankier than others and I have always attributed it to the food I was eating... like Sushi for some reason makes him cranky and gassy!

Isla Mujeres
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

why is there a thumbs down before my post ? Weird...

Text book dairy. He also got congested from soy. A friend saw the baby rejecting me and screaming at me whole he was hungry . She said her daughter did that with broccoli and sodas. Once I kept track the signs were so obvious.
    Last edited by Isla Mujeres; 09-04-2008 at 08:26 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast