FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    tbush3801
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine

Overweight and doing IVF

has anyone tried ivf even though you were overweight? did it work?

2. Advertisement

dawnymarie
    cleaning house
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Crappy
    Tbush - there are a lot of woman doing IVF that are overweight. I know there have been some successes as well. I have been told that my age is more of an factor than my weight and I am not skinny.

Hang in there.
    Hugs
    Dawn

shef
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm totally at a crossroad right now in deciding whether or not to do an IVF cycle (it would be number 2/ number one didn't work) or wait till I lose weight.
    My RE advised me to lose weight, stating that for the first cycle they had to use a lot of meds to stim and that if I lost weight, they'd probably retrieve more eggs with the meds. (They think that a lot of my eggs might be older, unhealthy eggs)/ more eggs, more choices for healthy ones, hopefully).
    The only problem is that I only now started working out and dieting, and at my age (late 30's) waiting a few months can mean a higher FSH number (the number indicates ovarian reserve; the higher the number, the lower the reserve). It's very hard to know when that number will jump. It's like gambling. When you bet right, you win big. When you bet wrong, you go for broke!
    So I'm REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLY nervous right now about my decision to wait on IVF or go on ahead. To top matters, my RE provides a grant to help with the payments, and this is the only month he can gaurantee the funds.
    If I wait, and they don't get more grant money in, it'll cost DOUBLE!
    I think doing IVF while being overweight can work, but it depends on a couple of things.
    Your FSH number, your BMI...
    Usually, a BMI up to 35 is considered acceptable.
    An FSH under 10 is ideal, although, many women have been known to conceive with higher numbers. I know women who are significantly overweight who did have kids.
    I hope this info helps. If you have any advice for my situation, I'd really appreciate it!

hatzy
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in the same boat. I did my first IVF in november and although there were lots of follies, they only retrieved 4 eggs. At the followup appt., RE said taking 6 months at my age (35 at the time), to lose weight will yield more of a benefit for future cycles than my age increasing. Unfortunately, I had some major family issues come up after starting my weight loss and it came back on and a few extra to boot. So here I am, 6 months later, 36 yrs old, 10 lbs heavier (obese, not just overweight).

Went to RE this week and he still said take another few months. If I lose weight, great...if I don't, he'll still do a cycle. It is ultimately up to me. But we decided a few more months is worth it. I' might try herbalife. I've never been one to try fad diets or any supplements, but I'll try it now that I have a good reason.

Me: 39 DH: 39 PCOS and overweight
    10/20/03 Second trimester loss - IC or Preterm Labor - jury still out
    5 IUIs + Clomid + Metformin = BFNs;
    IVF #1-3 BFN 2006-2008
    New Doc 4/09 - DX- immune issues and clotting disorder IVF#4 7/09 BFP! m/c 8/8/09
    IVF #5 August 2010! ER 8/13/10 BFP! m/c 9/12/10

Er
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not convinced that telling someone to lose weight on a crash diet basis is good medical advice. I guess I'd have to see the research on that. So far, the only research I've seen is correlational, not causal comparative. In other words, it is statistically true, that IVF is less successful in heavier women, but it may or may not be true, that by losing weight you increase your odds.

And, there is some research that poor nutrition hastens the gradual process of declining ovarian reserve. Though, that is not a real conclusive thing either.

As far as meds, if you are heavier, and therefore don't respond as well to the meds, I don't know why your RE couldn't simply up the dose. Many drugs are dependent on blood volume, which is affected by weight. That being said, I am sure there is an upper limit as far as dosage is concerned.

My wife, who is curvy, (and I like her just fine that way), went through IVF 3 times, including one frozen cycle, and was successful, but has been on high doses of nearly everything. I never asked if it was due to weight or whatever and the RE didn't volunteer. The simple fact of the matter is, he administered the appropriate dosages of meds to get the job done.

One thing dietarily, that my wife has found helpful, we think, is eating a very low carb, high protein diet throughout all of this. Mind you, she lost a small amount of weight, but nothing substantial.

Good luck to you.

scubanut2004
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am very overweight and am in the IVF process right now -started follistim on Friday and added menapor last night. Schedule for ER next week. My doctor wasn't concerned with the weight as much as I thought he would be. I'm 41 and that is more of a concern at this point than the weight issue.

Goodthingscome
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Pg Ment

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that I did IVF very overweight. I am 5'4" and weighed in at roughly 242. and it worked. We have a beautiful 6 month ols son. I was told I had PCOS and that I needed to lose weight. Personally I think alot of it is mind over matter.

I never saw a reason for me not to get pg. My mum was big and had 5 of us, so I saw no reason for it not to be the same with me.

Just wanted to add the reason IVF #1 was cancelled was cos RE put me on a low dose of meds cos I was 26. He then upped the dose and BINGO. Pg first full cycle.
    Vicky Shane 2002

IVF#1 - Jan 2006 - Cancelled
    IVF#2 - April 2006 - BFP- 1st Beta (24/4) - 489, 2nd beta (1/5) 4436, 3rd Beta(11/5) 30,000
    ANDREW DANIEL BORN VIA C/S 12/8/06. HERE AT LAST!!!!!!!
    FET #1 BFP!!! PATRICK SHANE BORN VIA C/S 2/3/09.

scubanut2004
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent news and congratulations on your bundle of joy!!!

This gives me hope. I am scheduled for egg removal on Wednesday. I have 11 follicles, all the in the 16-20 range right now. My uterine lining is thickening. Everything is looking positive.

To compensate for my weight, my doctor gave me a bit more hormone treatment than most. I was on 375 follistim for 10 days and 2 vials of menapor for 5 days. My follicles were growing a bit slower than most but everything is normal now.

I am now achy and bloated and tender and the doctor likes to hear that!

Pautau426
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodthingscome
    Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that I did IVF very overweight. I am 5'4" and weighed in at roughly 242. and it worked. We have a beautiful 6 month ols son. I was told I had PCOS and that I needed to lose weight. Personally I think alot of it is mind over matter.

I never saw a reason for me not to get pg. My mum was big and had 5 of us, so I saw no reason for it not to be the same with me.

Just wanted to add the reason IVF #1 was cancelled was cos RE put me on a low dose of meds cos I was 26. He then upped the dose and BINGO. Pg first full cycle.
    Hello Vicki,
    My name is Paula and new to the forum. I am starting my IVF treatment in a few weeks. I am 36yrs and plus size. My DH and I are doing IVF due a male factor and so far nothing regarding my weight has been a factor, but I have been thinking about. You have given me hope with IVF.
    Congrats on your baby boy!!

Paula

Goodthingscome
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Paula,

Thanks for the kind wishes re our little man. He has cut a tooth!!! Isnt it amazing sometimes how people can have alot in common. We too did IVF due to a MF only issue. Dh had no sperm so we used donor and it worked for us first go.

scubanut2004:

Have faith cos really you gotta see it happenong berfore it ever will. As for being bloated I remember the feeling I was on 300 of puregon and then he dropped me back to about 200 but I still remember the pain...lol Oh and just another quick warning YOU WILL FEEL LIKE YOU HAVE BEEN RUN OVER BY A BUS 15 TIMES OVER after your egg retrieval, but hey all worth it in the end.

Take care to you both and best of luck.
    Vicky Shane 2002

IVF#1 - Jan 2006 - Cancelled
    IVF#2 - April 2006 - BFP- 1st Beta (24/4) - 489, 2nd beta (1/5) 4436, 3rd Beta(11/5) 30,000
    ANDREW DANIEL BORN VIA C/S 12/8/06. HERE AT LAST!!!!!!!
    FET #1 BFP!!! PATRICK SHANE BORN VIA C/S 2/3/09.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast