FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

EmmaJane
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Failed FET - How Soon Can I Try Another Transfer

I'm pretty certain my recent FET has resulted in a BFN. As I'm sure you all understand, I'm devestated but not yet ready to give up hope that another FET may work. For those of you who have had a BFN after a FET, what was your protocol after the BFN? Were you able to have another transfer fairly soon after? And did your RE do anything different which may have contributed to a future success?

Thank you for any responses...I'm really feeling down tonight.

2. Advertisement

SC-Impatient_in_VA
    *ments* Baby pic in album
    Site Coordinator
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    I'm very sorry to hear you think your FET did not work

Typically you will be asked to have the BFN period, then one more natural period, then you can begin the next FET.

SUCCESS MENT

My IVF was BFN but my first FET was BFP. The only things we did different were: for IVF I was allowed 1 can of Coke per day, for FET I went 0 caffeine; for IVF I discontinued aspirin about a week before retrieval, for FET I did aspirin the whole time (and my OB won't let me stop still).

Sometimes it's just a numbers game: my best 3 didn't pan out, but #4 is sticky and healthy. Keep at it, you'll get there.

kris73
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    EmmaJane: I think basically it depends on you and how you're feeling.

There's nothing wrong with going straight into another cycle with your next period, if this one is unfortunately a BFN. If you feel like taking a break and having a period (or more than one) before your next attempt, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that either. It's all dependent on you and how you're feeling physically and emotionally.

Impatient: I'm not sure that it's typical in every person to have two periods between transfers. Most women I know who have gone through FETs have always had the option of starting meds as soon as the period starts from the BFN. To be honest, I've never heard of anyone being asked to have the BFN period plus a natural period before starting another cycle...unless there were other issues involved.
    Last edited by kris73; 09-30-2012 at 07:17 PM.

SC-Impatient_in_VA
    *ments* Baby pic in album
    Site Coordinator
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    It's fairly standard with IVF and with medicated FETs as far as I've seen on here. Though I'm sure it must vary from doctor to doctor!

kris73
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting...I've never seen that before and I've been around here for a couple of years now. Between IVF and an FET, yes. Between FETs, no.

Most of the ladies I know (most of whom have had their baby/babies) were all doing back to back...definitely not waiting two periods. And that was by their doctors' input as none of them went against doctors' advice.

Personally, I'd go with how I was feeling and what my doctor said...simply because no one on here knows the specifics of every person going through IVF and/or FET.

KittyGal
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had mine about 1 month after and it was fine. It all depends on your RE, do you trust and like your RE that is very important to ask yourself?

EmmaJane
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for your responses. I did talk to my doctor and they said I could start my next cycle as soon as my period starts. This negative has hit me a lot harder than I had expected it to and I'm just trying to keep faith and hope that a future cycle may work.

shannij
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you can go either way. I personally had a cycle and then started with the next one. I wanted my body more back to 'normal' if that is even possible lol. Sorry for your BFN I hope one day you can look at all of this in the review mirror