FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    superflaca
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

sex ban after FET?

Hey everyone - I'm wondering what your RE told you about "pelvic rest" after FET. The nurse in my clinic told me no intercourse, nothing in the vagina, and no orgasms "by any means" until the 6.5 week ultrasound when hopefully we see a heartbeat (I got a BFP, and so far so good).

From what I read, the purpose of the sex ban is to reduce the theoretical risk of uterine contractions interfering with implantation. However, an entire 4 1/2 weeks after the transfer seems a bit much, especially given that implantation already happened quite a while ago. Other clinics' protocols seem to generally be about two weeks of "pelvic rest," from what I've seen online.

I would never do anything that I thought would harm the little guys, of course, but I'm skeptical that there's actually a scientific basis for these instructions. And as jacked up on hormones and as worried about possible problems as I currently am...having sex would be a good thing.

What did your clinic tell you? Has anyone else been told "no sex until we see a heartbeat"?

2. Advertisement

Kachow
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    AT our clinic (in AUS) we are told to go home and have sex after transfer as the presents of sperm, helps implantation. Personally I dont do it, because of crinone gels and pesseries I have to use during and after transfer.

All clinics do different things, we will never know what combination of things actually do work !
    Stacey 38 Wayne 40
    #1 IVF/ICSI Cycle July 07
    M/C 4/01/08 Lillie Faith @ 18 weeks
    #2 IVF/ISCI November 08 BFN
    Transfer #20 6th November 09 BFP !!!

Lachlan Cooper 06/23/10
    Likes Twinkler1970 liked this post

IWantToBeAMommy
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Wow. That is the first time I heard someone say that a doctor told you to have sex after the transfer. I really like to know if anyone did it and got a BFP!
    J (30)

Twin boys born at 37 weeks, 2 days!

Kachow
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IWantToBeAMommy
    Wow. That is the first time I heard someone say that a doctor told you to have sex after the transfer. I really like to know if anyone did it and got a BFP!
    I did do it..... and got a BFP once.... I dont know if it was a contributing factor...
    Stacey 38 Wayne 40
    #1 IVF/ICSI Cycle July 07
    M/C 4/01/08 Lillie Faith @ 18 weeks
    #2 IVF/ISCI November 08 BFN
    Transfer #20 6th November 09 BFP !!!

Lachlan Cooper 06/23/10

Lunasol
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine does not have any ban on "pelvic activity" at all. They do say that it might be a bit uncomfortable in the next 48 hours after transfer, but no ban....

suplerflaca - I can't believe that you'll have to wait that long. I can understand the ban until implantation, but this 4 1/2 weeks seems like a long time.

superflaca
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

close enough

THANK YOU, Lunasol! I was hoping this seemed odd to someone else.

I would never do a thing to hurt the embryos but this seems kinda crazy. I've never heard of anyone else getting those instructions, and I don't have any special circumstance that would require extra caution.

I mean, people have sex after embryos implant, right? People have sex during pregnancy. If they couldn't our species would've died out long ago.

I'm at 6 weeks now. I think I'm gonna call that "close enough"

imhopen
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My RE said no sex till pregnancy confirmed with ultra sound, and NO SEX FOR 3 MONTHS IF ITS POSITIVE! What I know. now last time I was knocked up i was a freaking horn dog! no really getting my onselves rocks off at least 3 times a day. I dont know what I am going to do!

shannij
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    lol my re says sex is ok. If you think about it normal people get pg and keep having sex thinking they are still trying and stay pg. I think it is a crazy notion. Anyway after i got pg with #1 I was worried about having sex and my re said and these were his exact words.." unless your dh has a 9" penis and those men are all in the movies you cannot hurt the baby". I about died of embarrassment as did my dh

heathermk38
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't have Sex!!! Look it up on here, there's lots of info on it...but just as a comparison, my dr. told us no sex for many many weeks...I think till 10. The way I look at is if something happens and I were to lose the baby, would I say to myself it was because of this. It's so not worth it Hun! I just miscarried and it was the hardest thing in the world, but honestly, there isn't one thing I can think to myself, I caused this in some way. Ya know? But like I said, look it up on here, there's a couple really good threads about it.

candice1
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My doc puts the pelvic rests in full effect until after the first U/S.
    They do not want the pelvis contracting. I do not see how having relations helps anything stick, because the sperm does not get up into the uterus where they place the embyro.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast