I talked to the lab that has my frozen embryos. I actually talked to an assistant and not the actual embryologist. I have 3 frozen embies and she said that one of them is a grade B and the other 2 are grade C. To me this doesnt sound all that great. She also told me that they transfered 2 grade B on my fresh transfer that was a BFN. Can someone tell me what this means? The embryologist is to call me back tomorrow with more info. I am wondering since the embryos on transfer day were only a B if that is the reason for my BFN. Our eggs were donor eggs and our donor was 23 yrs old.
Results 1 to 6 of 6
07-16-2007, 06:39 PM #1rbutterflyRegistered Userhas no status.
07-16-2007, 07:45 PM #2QueenChelseaRegistered Userhas no status.
Rhonda -- at what stage were your embryos frozen? Are they blasts? My clinic no longer grades blasts, but instead looks at the thaw rate, so I really wouldn't worry about it. Plus, I've heard stories of plenty of women who get pregnant with lower quality embryos. In my case, I transferred two blasts that defrosted with a 95% rate of cell maintenance, and got a BFN. The next time, I transferred an 80% and an 85%, and one of them took, so quality is all relative. A "B" quality can be perfectly good enough! Best of luck to you.
07-16-2007, 09:18 PM #3rbutterflyRegistered Userhas no status.
QueenChelsea:Yes my embryos were blast they were frozen at least by day 6. I am hoping to get more info tomorrow when I actually talk to the embryologist. I will let you know what he says. Thanks for your response and I will ask him about his thought on grading blasts.
07-18-2007, 07:51 PM #4rbutterflyRegistered Userhas no status.
I talked to the embryologist yesterday and they use the ABCD grading system. He said there isnt much difference between an A and a B and not much difference between a B and a C but a big difference between a C and a D. He said he only grades embryos an A 10% of the time and the other 90% are B's and C's. He recommends we transfer all 3. I am so nervous about it even though it isnt until October I cant help but be worried and stressed over it. I wish the fresh DE cycle would have worked and I wouldnt be going through this right now and wonder like a lot of you WHY ME? BTW we have 1 B and 2 C's. I wish it was the other way around.
07-18-2007, 08:27 PM #5QueenChelseaRegistered Userhas no status.
Ok, I know it's a lot easier to say now coming from my side of the fence, but I want you to know how promising this sounds. It sounds like your embryos are GREAT quality! First of all, your embyos are blasts, which is great to begin with. Then, on top of that, you have at least one B embryo, which sounds really good. You only need 1! I wish you the best of luck. Do you have to wait until October? Also, it is interesting that you are transferring three. My clinic won't transfer more than two blasts.
07-19-2007, 09:07 AM #6rbutterflyRegistered Userhas no status.
QueenChelsea: Thanks for the words of encouragement. It really made me feel good. We do have to wait till October because we have to save the money to do it. I am looking into a 2nd job to get the money. I am guessing that the reason the embryologist is saying to transfer all 3 is because he knows more of what they look like than I do. Would your clinic tranfer more than 2 if the blasts were "great" looking? I am not for sure this is how many we will transfer we will have to talk to the RE more about it as time gets closer.
Thanks again for your encouraging words.
DISCLAIMER: Fertile Thoughts allows advertisers to publish information about their services. Fertile Thoughts does not provide medical advice or endorse any particular service or approach to treating infertility. We encourage people to learn as much as possible about the range of options available before committing to any one. We also encourage users to share their thoughts on all fertility options on our forums.