FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

fran07
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Financing Treatments/Supplemental Insurance

I have read through a few of the recent posts on how to finance treatments. My insurance only covers initial tests and then we are on our own. Has anyone ever added a supplemental insurance policy for infertility through an outside company? If so, how does that work? I read through other posts and I see where gals have gone through multiple treatments...how can that be affordable without causing financial strain? What are some other ways to finance?

2. Advertisement

Nkiruka
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Supplemental Insurance

This is an excellent question, and one I've been trying to figure out myself. If you have insurance through a company, then you can ask your company's insurance administrator if your plan provides an infertility rider. There is some information on this board from people who have done this. The thing is, this is state to state. i.e., there are some states where there are no insurance riders which cover IVF. Also, for me, I work for a company with less than 50, so even if I did want to go to HR and divulge that I am a) trying to have a baby and b) want them to buy more insurance to cover it, in my state there is absolutely no small group insurance that provides for infertility riders covering IVF. I know, because I called them all. (!!) (I am in NY, and I also checked into NJ and CA)

If you have individual insurance, then from what I understand, not only are there no riders for IVF for individual purchase in any states (even in a mandate state like NJ, but maybe there is in MA. I didn't check there because we have no connection there and our policy is not written in MA), but indicating that you are undergoing infertility treatment could possibly cause your insurance premium to go up, and if you are unfortunate enough to lose that insurance, you may be denied for any further individual insurance coverage due to a "pre-existing condition".

My husband and I have a small business on the side, so we also looked into buying business health insurance. We can get great insurance, but all policies in all of the states that I checked (NY, NJ and CA) categorically do not provide insurance riders for IVF for businesses with less than 50 employees.

There are companies that offer financing for IVF, but I have not found an insurer who offers IVF insurance. The closest is ARC (is it Integramed, too?) which offer those packages and/or money back deals. Not so much insurance, but it's better than paying for each IVF as you go. The issue with those (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) is that you have to be going to a doctor who is in their network. My doctor is not, and he's excellent.

So, sorry for the LOOONG post, but this is something we are looking into right now, with not much success. If you work for a company of more than 50 employees, and if you feel comfortable going to HR and requesting that they add a rider, do a search on this board for a sample of a letter that another poster used.

Good luck!!!

LemonadeGlugger
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    hi nkirula,

I am in ny. my employer had a rider but their plan is now renewing, and I have no covererage. Since the plan is not based in ny/nj/a mandated state, there is zero coverage.

i found that you can get an oxford plan through an association for 982 a m onth!!! its high, but it still is cheaper then self payiing ivf. pm me for info.

Nkiruka
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

More information, please!

Hello, Diet Pepsi Girl!

Thank you so much for the information. I just saw your post; been traveling--would LOVE to hear more about this Oxford plan through an association. We are starting a cycle in September; would LOVE to pay 982 rather than 15,000! What association is it, and do you know the requirements to belong?

Thanks so much!!!

LemonadeGlugger
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    Where are you located? I think this is for NY only but not sure. I will pm you the insurance agents name. She basically sells insurance from oxford, its between 700-1000 a month give or take a couple of dollars. Its a plan for people that ARE employed. You need to be employed, its through an associaton. You pay a $50 or so membership fee to be part of the 'union' and you can get insurance. It was meant for employed people that are unable to get insurance through the're work, etc etc.

tstodghill
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone used Dr. Brandeis?

http://www.newyorkfertility.com/

I see that he is MUCH cheaper that local doc's for us, and he is willing to work with your normal physicians.

Anyone have any personal experience with him?

Nevermind...I looked him up on vitals.com

http://www.vitals.com/doctor/profile/1215053962

Kinda scary.
    Last edited by tstodghill; 08-04-2008 at 04:51 PM.
    Tiffany-26 DH-Joshua-28
    Married March 17, 2001
    Together 11 years...TTC 7 years

HoneyCup9915
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Insurance

i Live in Ny..and have had almost every Insurance..and IVF was not covered , just the medicine and the pre-testing was covered. I did 6 cycles all together..2 of the cycles worked. I now have 2 beautiful girls one is 5 and the little one is 2. It was all worth it in the end. Hard but worth it. All the cycles were paid out of pocket we struggled so hard to do it. I now would love to have another one but we cant possibly afford it again. I would love to know about the Oxford plan..i did hear that they cover up to 10,000 dollars.