FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

littlefish
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

My surgeon said any Fibroid 4cm or larger must be removed if you want to get pregnant

Okay.....this is my story.

4 IUI's and 2 IVF's later I decided that it was time to have my 7cm fibroid removed. For the last two years my RE said that it wasn't affecting the shape of my uterus (but come to find out it was)! It was on the outside of my uterus.

I obtained a 2nd opinion from a surgeon at University of Michigan Hospital - Dr. Advincula. He specializes in the Da Vinci Robotic Myomectomy (less invasive than a regular myomectomy). I had it done 5 days ago and feel great!

I just want to say that fibroids are a very touchy issue with many RE's and doctors. Some say that they don't interfere with fertility and others say they do. [B]My surgeon is one of the top Da Vinci surgeons in the USA and he said that any fibroid 4cm or larger MUST BE REMOVED TO MAINTAIN FERTILITY!!! [/B] I wish I would have known this two years ago.

I hope this helps someone out there that is on the fence with the fibroid issue. Please realize that I understand that many woman get pregnant while they have fibroids but I wasn't lucky enough.

I now have to wait 3 months before doing our 3rd IVF.

best of luck to all!

2. Advertisement

IVFmama
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! I'm glad you found a new procedure that is less invasive. I had an abdominal myomectomy on February. My clinic will not do IVF with fibroids over 5 cm. I had three over that size- the largest was 7 cm. My IVF is scheduled for April 2008 due to a waiting list. Hope this helps.

littlefish
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    tsproing - best of luck in April 2008 with IVF!

IVFmama
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you very much!!!