FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tia38
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Pelvic pressure -- is it contractions or the baby moving?

I feel very silly.... seems to be frequent and common these days. ;-)

So I've been having some lower uterine/pelvic pressure (tightening) which is definitely noticeable but only occasionally uncomfortable. Not what I would call contractions (and certainly not the kind that double you over).

But then I was in L&D (long story for another thread --- all is well) and the nurse seeing the readout from the monitor said "that pressure is in fact a contraction" so I asked if it was BH contraction and she said "probably not at this point [37w+] -- just a regular, early contraction starting to soften things up."

I was kinda shocked. I had filed them away as baby motions/kicks or maybe BH contractions, although they are much lower down than where I usually feel the baby, and I haven't had BH contractions in ages.

I guess I was hoping the baby was dropping some (s/he is still riding way high).

So, question for the peanut gallery... how do you distinguish contractions from baby movements/kicks, especially early on? And, is it safe to assume that once the contractions intensify there will be no doubt (pretty sure on that one. ;-)

Cheers,
    -Tia

2. Advertisement

tanjalalie
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    No idea, I never could.
    But you can contract with REAL contractions that only occur occasionally for weeks I was taught, so wouldn't panic yet. You have weekly appointments? Any more ultrasounds where they can tell if you are dialating or funneling?

Soon soon Tia! Sleep now while you can is all I am going to say!

Tanja
    Me: 42, DH, Avi: 29. Three
    IVF #2 12/04: Twins. Twin B at 11 weeks, 2 days
    Twin A: Quinlan Nathaniel, 6lbs, 10 oz. , born 08-29-2005 Proud to be AHM!
    Natural miracle Kian Yehuda to be delivered by C-Section on 2-16-2007

SamInVero
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I get them too. Not sure what they are. Not actually painful, more uncomfortable. I knew it was some sort of contraction.
    Probably just getting everything ready for the big day!
    Sam
    Me 40 DH-Dan 39
    Enzo Mario born 2/2/07 IVF#1 Surprise! New Baby due 1/25/11

Also Mom to 2 dogs Lola & Lucca and 2 cats Jake & Elwood

Tess914
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm glad you posted this because I have felt the same exact thing recently. I never know if it's a contraction (bh) or the baby just being there etc. It usually happens when I stand up so I thought it was gravity Guess our bodies are getting us ready!
    TESS
    Me/DH 38
    3 IUI's BFN
    IVF#1 BFP Beta#1 6/23 135, Beta Hell: #2 6/27 203, Beta#3 6/29 270-RE said prob nonviable, Beta #4 7/3 819! US 7/12 =
    IVF#2 6/08, IVF#3 9/08, IUI#4 11/08 - BFN
    IVF#4 1/09 BFP! 1st Beta 282, 2nd 597! It's B/G TWINS! [/B][/I]!

little_roo
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I found the way the doctors and nurses describe what contractions are suppose to be like and what you end up with is different. I was told that real contractions wrap around, your belly gets hard and they are painful. Needless to say that wasn't what it was like for me the first. I had back labour and wasn't sure I was in labour or that my water broke.

If it's not consistent then there's nothing to worry about right now. Just time them or make notes and bring it up to your OB when you see them next. I've been having the same thing for a couple of weeks now but nothing consistent. I will be mentioning this to my OB and see what he has to say because my labour with my dd went really fast.
    Kim (dx PCOS) - 31/DH - 34
    06/05 02/07 04/04

kmsnj
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the same kind of pelvic pressure/pain. My OB said it is "false" contractions. She defined "false" contractions as pains that are down low or menstrual-like cramps. She described that a real contraction would start at the top of my belly/uterus and move downward and possibly even around to my back. My uterus would get hard as well. In our childbirth class, the nurse said in a real contraction your stomach will feel the same hardness as if you press on your chin but a false contraction feels like what pressing on the tip of your nose feels like. Either way, it sounds to me that what you are experiencing is like what I have been experiencing. My OB just seems to think it is our bodies getting ready for baby's birth day!

Ferret Mommy
    sure needs some positive thoughts! :)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    In Love
    Okies... I have had a heart to heart with my Obs the last few weeks about this. Braxton hicks.. are real contractions... we are told and read that they are these false things.. well... anything that has pressure.. is a contraction.

We are all in or getting ready to be in Pre-labor and while we may not have these contractions get us to push out a baby this moment, they are real and they can hurt. I was told this is all normal and my OB stated that what I was telling him sounded like my body was giving some good contractions and he was really happy to hear that! I sure wasnt...lol...

My pain is in my back and wraps around to the belly. Sometimes it can last about 5 minutes. I thought that the pain I was having was round ligament pain, come to find out that is NOT something that happens now for us... the name changes to contractions!!

Nice huh?!?!??!!

Regarding it being the baby vs a contraction.. does your baby move? I sometimes think its the baby.. but when I stop to take note.. the baby isnt moving. He is really good about responding to my voice when I talk to him when he is awake.. so if I talk to him and he doesnt move.. then I know it was a contraction... if he does move.. it feels the same then it was him.. if it doesnt then it wasnt. lol.. nice guessing game.

We got out yesterday to get walking and wow.. that pressure was something that I had not felt before and it had to be him being where he needs to be and working his way down!

I hope I didnt confuse anyone.. lol... I was so lost when my OB told me the pain I was having.. for awhile now was contractions.. hahahaha!!
    Kat DH
    1/07 -
    6/09
    10/09
    3/12 -

KCT
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aww, man, I'm due Feb. 5, and I haven't felt any such thing. I'm afraid that I'm going to be pregnant forever! Don't get me wrong; I have LOVED being pregnant, but over the last couple of weeks, time has really started to slow down! I'm ready to meet my baby. Come on contractions, false or real!!

Kristen

kmsnj
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KCT
    Aww, man, I'm due Feb. 5, and I haven't felt any such thing. I'm afraid that I'm going to be pregnant forever! Don't get me wrong; I have LOVED being pregnant, but over the last couple of weeks, time has really started to slow down! I'm ready to meet my baby. Come on contractions, false or real!!

Kristen
    Kristen,
    I am due the 7th and I wonder everyday, "Is today the day she comes?" It is going to be a LONGGGGGGGGGGGG next few weeks! At least we can all hang in there together though!

Adriana
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tia,
    Since you were hooked up to the monitors and that's what your nurse said, it must be a contraction. But before I read that I thought, ok, her body is getting ready... No matter what it feels like to you, I think what your body is doing is softening/effacing/dialeting the cervix when this happens. It doesn't mean that you will immediately or soon go into labor (for some women this process is very gradual). For me it was a bit more quicker pace. With both of my kids I had killer menstrual like cramps for 1-2 nights in the row right before I delivered.
    And now to answer your actual question...LOL... for me contractions always felt light tightening/hardening of the uterus (it does not have to be the whole uterus, it could be just partial) and baby moving would just feel like wiggling. A lot of times, especially towards the end when the babies don't have much room in there, the contraction can be brought on by the baby moving around. So you may feel a movement and a tightening immediately after, that's why it would be hard to distinguish them.
    Either way, my dear, your body is getting ready for the big event ....
    mommy to J 9/24/02 S 9/25/04 S 2/11/07
    edd 2/14/10

for my sweet Zeusie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast