FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

Athena
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Breezy

Questions re: Red Wine Vinegar, Sherry cooking wine

In order to make Cathy's cabbage salad, I had to buy red wine vinegar. The recipe was very good! Now what else can I use this red wine vinegar for?? I really hate buying stuff for one use. I'll probably make the cabbage salad again but I imagine ot would take me 4-5 years to use this bottle of red wine vinegar! Unless someone else has a great recipe idea.

My next question is about Sherry. I have a WW recipe that calls for Sherry vinegar. I found Sherry cooking wine right next to the vinegars but no Sherry vinegar. Any ideas? Is sherry wine and sherry vinegar the same thing?

One last question....

Where can I buy unsweetened shredded coconut? I've tried 2 local grocery stores and they only have the sweetened kind.

I really dislike the search and find mission when I try new recipes that call for ingredients I don't already have!

2. Advertisement

eli
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Do you make much salad at home? If so, you can make a tasty vinaigrette with that red wine vinegar. This would be the most obvious and easy use I think.

As for sherry wine and sherry vinegar- not the same thing.

Last- the shredded coconut- I am not sure as I have never looked for the unsweetened type.

Sorry- I am not very helpful!
    Lynn

DD-9
    DS-7
    DS-born 4/25/10 (William Lukas)

Athena
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Oh great! I bought the Sherry cooking wine. What can I use it for???

I'm so lame.

JJsmom
    has no status.
    Just East of West and slighty North of South
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I've seen the unsweetened coconut in the freezer section or in a can (not a bag)... for some reason I'm thinking it doesn't preserve as well and so isn't in the bags ?????

I bet a gourmet type store or healthy food store might have it...

As for the cooking wine, I've heard yucky things about cooking wines and I've tasted things made with them -- ew. I'd toss it.
    The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it. -- Flannery O'Connor

JJsmom
    has no status.
    Just East of West and slighty North of South
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Here's info I found on www.recipelink.com

Unsweetened coconut is available in Caribbean groceries, health food stores and specialty markets. If you're ambitious, you can buy a fresh coconut and grate your own.
    The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it. -- Flannery O'Connor

CathyNY
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I use the red wine vinegar in salad dressings quite often.

Sherry vinegar is hard to find; I usually find it's a gourmet store item. But you can use the cooking sherry in stir-fries and lentil soups, and splash it into sauteeing mushrooms.

Unsweetened coconut is another item I tend to buy at Whole Foods or really good-quality grocers; I find it's difficult to find in a run-of-the-mill supermarket.
    Cathy
    and Nicky, seven years old

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.
    --Beverly Sills

GalaxyGirl
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use red wine vinegar in a couple marinade recipes. I'll also use it interchangeably for recipes that call for Sherry Cooking Wine. There is a slight difference in flavor & aroma, but they can be used in similar recipes like black bean dishes or roasted meat dishes. I have a great WW black bean & rice recipe that calls for sherry cooking wine, but I often grab red wine or balsamic vinegar instead. I would use sherry vinegar in any recipe that calls for vinegar and for that matter, use any vinegar in a recipe that calls for sherry vinegar. The thing I like about different vinegars (I think I have 7 bottles right now) is that they each provide that tang, but with a slightly different tone.

I've only seen unsweetened coconut at places like Trader Joes.

I'm intrigued by what recipe you have that calls for these ingredients! Please share if they are yummy.

Happy cooking!