FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

Elizabeth99
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

How can you improve egg quality?

Hi everyone. I've just had my first failed IVF cycle. I'd like to improve my egg quality. I ended up with 4 fertilzed embryos, but they were all low grade. I want to improve my egg quality and change my diet. Does anyone have any advice on this? Books? Articles? Etc...

2. Advertisement

karigirl1234
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Egg Quality

Hi I read your post, I am in a similar situation. I have had 4 IUI's and 2 IVF's. The first IVF they retrieved 7 eggs, 5 fertilized but only 3 survived by day three they were only 4 celled embryos. They transferred all three but BFN. Second IVF, they did an estrogen priming cycle and I was told this was to help the poor quality of my eggs. They retrieved 9 eggs, only 3 fertilized but had none to transfer as they were not growing past day 2. I just got the news today. So sad.

But I have been doing some research to see if there is anything to do to increase egg quality and so far I see that taking some supplements before injections for a few months (maybe 3) could help. DHEA 50mg a day, plus Royal Jelly, Maca, Chastenberry, Vitamin D (2000mg daily), Folic Acid 800 mg daily, calcium and magnesium, greens first (or wheat grass pills), alpha lipoic acid, symplex F, plus add accupuncture and possibly whatever chinese herbs they suggest.

Good luck. We will probably try another cycle in June. But I have decided to change RE's and to insist on a laparoscopy plus some immune testing.

Best of luck to you and baby dust to us both!

Elizabeth99
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Kari. Thanks for responding to my inquiry. So, according to my doctor, you pretty much have the eggs that you have. Apparently, even though we may have been getting low grade embryos, there's always a chance that you have some good eggs left... You just never know. When I pressed him about what else I could do, he mentioned some research showing that DHEA may make a difference. He suggested 75mg a day. I've heard some people have a negative reaction, so maybe 50mg might be better to start with.

Elizabeth99
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kari, I wasn't able to scroll down to see the ending of your message. However, I too have read about the potential value of the things you mentioned like wheatgrass and maca. Juicing can be very beneficial also. I'm trying a regular and consistent exercise routine as well as acupuncture. If I don't have success with my second IVF cycle, I too will ask for a laporoscopy. Good luck yo you. Keep me posted on your progress if you remember. I would be very interested to compare notes. Many blessings to you!

karigirl1234
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Egg Quality

Hi there,
    Yes, I will try to keep you updated. I have also heard that the month following IVF medications is very fertile because the drugs are still in you. Maybe your accupuncturist said that to you as well. The list of supplements I told you about I got from research and my Naturapathic doctor who is amazing. I think that standard medical doctors don't necessarily know the benefits of these herbs and supplements, they don't want to send you that direction so they don't tell you. But I do believe that in some cases they can help.

I also recently downloaded a meditation cycle from Circle+Bloom that has a meditation daily for IVF/IUI and natural cycles. I have been doing the meditations every day and find them extremely helpful.

Pregnancy with IVF, Increase IVF Success, Improve chances of IVF & Improve chances of IUI

Good luck and wishing you many blessings.

jacklyn3
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    hi Kari: My doctor said mediterranean diet could help.

Also, most chinese acupuncturist would advise against drinking/eating something cold, including ice cream.

The reason is to keep your uterus warm, thus increasing the quality of egg.

hope this help!

Elizabeth99
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello everyone. One of the things that reduces egg quality is the medication for INVITRO. So, another way to improve egg quality is to do IVF with a "natural cycle". That means that the Dr. will remove the eggs without using all those meds! A variation of this is to retrieve eggs naturally without medicine for a couple of months and freeze them. Then, when you have an appropriate amount of eggs, you can do the INVITRO fertilization. Just another alternative in the quest to improve egg quality.

TTCyears
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Breezy
    To improve EMBRYO quality (it takes two), my DH was "prescribed" Multivitamin, C-1000, L-Carnitine (500 mg) & Co Q-10 (200 mg). At this same top clinic women are "prescribed" (quoted from a separate BB):

"**Ideal Supplementation is 3 months prior to retrieval**

- Myo Inostol 2 gm twice a day
    - Melatonin 3 mg at bedtime
    - Co Q10 Enzyme 200 mg three times per day
    - Omega-3 Fatty Acid 1000 mg every day
    - Vitamin C 500 mg in the morning
    - Vitamin E 200 IU every day
    - L- arginine 1000 mg twice a day
    - Pycnogenol 100 mg every day

Another DW writes, "Acu. and supp's DHEA, Royal Jelly, Inisotol, Melatonin, CoQ10, Fish Oil, Vit C, Vit E, L-Arginine, Pycnogenol, Baby aspirin"

L&L
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Improving Egg Quality

Hi,

On the one hand, I'm not 100% sure egg quality can be improved, since I'm not sure there is a sure way to turn the clock backwards! However, after doing my own extensive research, there seems to be some evidence of egg quantity/quality improvements through two specific supplements: DHEA and Inositol. I see on this thread some of you are already taking these. They're harder to find, and certainly not cheap!

I just finished my first IVF, and just weeks before my 40th birthday I produced 16 eggs, 6 of which made it to day 5 as hatching blasts. My R.E. and embryologist both seemed very pleased, and said these numbers are consistent with a much younger age group. I had been taking both DHEA and Inositol for 2 months prior to the cycle (in addition to Pregvit with 5 mg folic acid, CoEQ10, garlic, Lycopene - the last 3 of which my husband was also taking). So in my case, it's possible the supplements helped. Although I got a BFN, I am back on all the supplements and debating whether my next step is another fresh cycle, or FET with the 4 remaining embryos from my 1st cycle.

I wanted to say that I think it's important to distinguish egg quality from embryo quality. For the latter, the sperm quality has just as much impact as the egg. Low fertilization rates can be due to sperm issues. A lot of recent research is proving that men have a "biological clock" just as much as we do. In other words, if you're jumping into the supplement craze, consider it for your male partners as well!

Good luck to all, and remember: YOU ARE MORE THAN YOUR FERTILITY! Whether or not you're able to have a child, is not a reflection of you as a woman. Though I doubt I've ever met any of you, I'm sure you're all fabulous, talented, wonderful, loving ladies! So be good to yourselves

Mangosteen
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used saizen together with femara and low dose of (150) for this cycle. I have an fsh of 17.8. For the first time I had eggs retrieved from all the 8 follicles. 7 were matured and all 7 fertilized with icsi. 2 blastocysts were transferred and 2 made it to freeze. I never had any to freeze The last two times. I produced 8 follicles but Only a few matured eggs each time. I'm on my 2ww now so I'm unsure how this will pan out in the end. I'm currently feeling a bit negative on 5dp5dt but there you go, I think saizen and very low stims ( I was on 450 gonal f before) helped..