FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    aashu
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Does IVF really works for Endo patients???

hi all,
    I would like to ask all of u who r battelling with endometriosis to tell how many of u have succeeded with endometriosis??? n after how many cycles of IVF?? Does stage of endo matters alot?? for eg. I have stage 3 endometriosis does this mean i have less chance to get pregnant??? plz join here n tell us abt ur cycles.. i have done one cycle of FET which failed in jan 09 now i will go for #2 n april hopefully .. according to my RE my lining was perfect it was 11.3 two embies planted were .. 4 AA & 3 AA and im 26 yrs old ..so she was not sure what went wrong... so im really frustrated .. plzz tell us all abt ur IVF cycles n fight with endo..

2. Advertisement

BC-Shelli
    lives in lala land
    BC: Endo, PG Loss & Gyn Procedures
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Fine
    IVF provides the best odds for endo patients provided you have treated the endo first. It's very important that you have done all you can to remove any visible traces of endo and hidden endo. Did you know that endo can affect implantation and egg quality? That's why it's so vital to treat it!

Those here who have had the most success have started with a laparscopy to remove visible endo and followed up with at least a 3 month course of Lupron to shrink any remaining endo. Immediately following this treatment is the best time to do IVF. You have about a 3-6 month window before the endo starts to grow back.

Many doctors want to jump right into IVF without treating the endometriosis. Don't do this...the odds of conception are much smaller than if you treat it. Best wishes to you!
    Last edited by BC-Shelli; 03-04-2009 at 09:01 AM.
    Shelli~ TTC #2 for 10 years until my body gave out...
    Dx: Chronic Endo/Adenomyosis.....Hysterectomy/LSO 3/9/02......Lap/RSO 12/9/04
    Mom to my *One-derful* Lindsay 11/9/90 and Michaela...Heaven Born at 8 weeks pregnancy 4/25/94

"I knew you before I formed you in your mother's womb" Jeremiah 1:5

bandit
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BC-Shelli
    Those here who have had the most success have started with a laparscopy to remove visible endo and followed up with at least a 3 month course of Lupron to shrink any remaining endo. Immediately following this treatment is the best time to do IVF. You have about a 3-6 month window before the endo starts to grow back.

This is what I did, only I was very fortunate and able to get pg with IUI after the laparoscopy and 4 months of Lupron (I was supposed to do 6 but couldn't handle the side effects any longer. They are nasty!!)

I went on to get pg with a natural miracle three years after my IUI miracle was born.
    bandit
    dd July 2002
    ds March 2006

aashu
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had Laposroscopy in Jul 2007 but after dat i couldn't try for IUI or IVF cuz of some real reasons

So now im able to do IVF n its not working.. so my RE suggested may be we should do Hysteroscopy cuz she thinks i don't have any more endo on my body.. i hope dat works fro me n then ill go for another cycle of FET.. in April hopefully

hopeful88
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    BC-Shelli, you seem very knowledgeable. i am puzzled about my situation. i never knew i had endo until i had my ectopic pregnancy and had a laparascopy. i have stage 2 endo and got the surgery on 10/31/2008. i did IVF #2 in Jan 09 and got BFN. what a big disappointment. i don't have egg quality issue and my dh is fine. i am a poor responder and have diminished ovarian reserve. i also tried IUI one month after my laparascopy and got BFN as well. do you think there is a chance i can get pregnant naturally? i am 32 yrs old and have been ttc for 3 yrs. i never got preg naturally but i did get preg in Oct 02 via IVF but ended in m/c. right now i am taking a couple of months off and saving money for ivf #3. i am also doing accupunture and taking herbs. other ppl recommended that i take lupron depot so my endo will not grow back. do i need it? my RE never suggested it. can i get preg with stage 2 endo?

BC-Shelli
    lives in lala land
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Fine
    Hi Hopeful,
    First there is always a chance that you could get pregnant naturally. It does happen on occasion, I always think it pays between cycling to TTC on your own.

I do think it would be worth it to ask your RE about doing a couple Lupron cycles before your next IVF attempt. Lupron can raise the odds in your favor of having a successful cycle, it will shrink any remaining endo and make your uterus a more hospitable environment no matter what stage your endo is.

Best wishes to you!
    Mom to my *One-derful* Lindsay 11/9/90 and Michaela...Heaven Born at 8 weeks pregnancy 4/25/94

hopeful88
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    BC-Shelli - thanks for responding!

i have taken lupron before for my prior ivf cycles and i did not respond well. this is the same kind of lupron you are talking about right? i was overly suppressed and did not get an eggs when it was time for stimulation.

do you think i should ask my Re to take an immunlogy test? i am just stomped that after 3 yrs...i just can't get preg. i know the endo plays a part but other than that i do have any distinctive factor. my endo is stage 2 so it's not too severe.

BC-Shelli
    lives in lala land
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Fine
    This is the same kind of Lupron, but used in a different way. For treatment of endo, you get one injection every month. It shuts down your ovaries thus cutting off the endo's estrogen supply. Most women will do 3-6 months of Lupron treatment prior to TTC. After treatment you have a window of about 3-6 months where conditions are ideal for conception, after this time period the endo will start to return.

There is a connection between endo and immune issues. I don't know much about it, but there is a pinned thread at the top of the board full of information that you might find helpful. Testing may be good idea. Stage two endo isn't that bad yet, so I suggest doing all that you can now before you get to the later stages....

bonbon1981
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    sorry this is a little late.
    Lets see... I have severe endometriosis I'm 27 y/o, I had my first laparoscopy done at 24 y/o. I've had 2 laparoscopies & 1 laparotomy done, prior to starting IVF.
    Half of my left tube & half of the left ovary was removed with the laparotomy. None of the endo implants were removed due to I guess it would be difficult to remove them.
    Also since I had 3 surgeries & half of the left ovary removed my fsh level is slightly elevated.

I was told by my dr. that Since I am young IVF would work.
    I had no idea at all, due to I really wanted to become pregnant.

With my first cycle, My medication dosage was appropriate I was on lupron, gonal f, & menopur (I forget the dosages). I ended up getting I think about 7 eggs & endo cysts. We used my husbands sperm to fertilize the eggs. I ended up getting pregnant, but sadly miscarried. the eggs were poorly developed due to my husbands poor sperm.

2nd cycle- we increased my medication dosage, I only got one egg & multiple endo cysts; the 1 egg ended up dividing & died.

3rd cycle- we went back to pretty much the same medication dosage as the first cycle- same medication, I got I think 6 eggs. We used donor sperm to fertilize the eggs. We transferred 5 eggs, it ended up that I didn't become pregnant. I have no idea why it didn't work.

After the 3rd cycle My dr. finally tells me that I need to get rid of the implants go on depo-lupron & then we can try again.
    This upset me quite a bit. Honestly I wish the dr. would have said that in the first place, not after 3 IVF cycle.
    Every dr. I went to, they said "Oh you are young, IVF should work to get you pregnant". For some reason, I'm not sure why. they didn't mention, I would have a difficult time getting pregnant, (first time did work, but i m/c'd, other 2 cycles didn't work) & I need to fix a couple things before starting my first IVF cycle. I know that I am young, but due to having 3 surgeries & severe endo It's a lot tougher to get pregnant.

Honestly I'm not sure why my 3rd cycle didn't work, with the first cycle we transferred 4 poorly developed eggs & I did get pregnant (but miscarried). my 3rd cycle we transferred 5 better developed eggs & nothing stuck.

With getting pregnant on your own, I would say that if the tubes are ok, then it may take a little bit of time, due to having endo; you could become pregnant.
    in my case, I have a blocked/dilated tube. I did have a 2nd HSG test done after my 3rd IVF cycle & the right tube is open
    I've had 3 surgeries done half of the left ovary is removed i get cysts on the ovary (I'm not sure if that's disrupting my ovulation).

hopeful88
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    bonbon1981 - hi there. wow you have been through a lot too!! it's so frustrating when you have had all these surgeries done and you are still not preg! and RE keep telling you that you are young so IVF will work but it's not that easy. i have been there. i am not as young as you but i started young. i am now 32 yrs old.

i have had 3 cancelled IVF because RE because I was a poor responder. Then switched RE and got preg with IVF, but miscarried. Had a laparascopy to remove ectopic pregnancy and RE discovered stage 2 endometerosis and cleaned me up. I ended up losing my left tube. People tell me now I have a greater chance of getting preg since I did a lap. Yeah right...I did another IVF shortly after (this past January) and it was a great cycle for me, 7 eggs retrieved and 4 fertilized and they were all great quality and none implanted. so i am frustrated like you!

Now i am just waiting to get a hysteroscopy hopefully next week and then go to another IVF.

It's just not fair that we have to go through all this to have a baby! It's been an emotional ride!

I wish you the best of luck!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast