FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    catan
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have endometrioma on ovary? What was recommended?

I have an endometrioma on my left ovary and been there since Sept and not going away. I am having an IVF cycle in Feb and worried about my egg production. I don't make a lot of eggs to begin with and now that I have this endometrioma I am worried I really won't be able to make enough eggs or have bad quality. Does anyone have any experience with this? What did your RE do? My RE think they can worked around it and not risk doing surgery to take it out. It seems that it will most likely effect the quantity of eggs retrieved but he seems to think it won't have much effect on quality. What have others experienced! Thanks for the help!!

2. Advertisement

BC-Shelli
    lives in lala land
    BC: Endo, PG Loss & Gyn Procedures
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Fine
    Honestly I think that it will affect egg quality. If it can possibly be removed that would be best. If it's too dangerous or too be to be removed I would recommend having it drained and then doing follow up treatment with a few cycles of Lupron to see if it will shrink further.
    Shelli~ TTC #2 for 10 years until my body gave out...
    Dx: Chronic Endo/Adenomyosis.....Hysterectomy/LSO 3/9/02......Lap/RSO 12/9/04
    Mom to my *One-derful* Lindsay 11/9/90 and Michaela...Heaven Born at 8 weeks pregnancy 4/25/94

"I knew you before I formed you in your mother's womb" Jeremiah 1:5

NikNJim
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had endometriomas on both ovaries, and my RE refused to do IVf until it was removed. He was concerned about puncturing it while do the egg retrieval........plus it does affect your egg quality.

I was not a candidate for a lap, due to previous surgery. My RE drained the cyst using a technique similiar to an egg retrieval, and then had me do lupron for 5 months to suppress my egg production.

I am a firm believer in dealing with the endometrioma and doing course of lupron. I am currently 23 weeks pregnant.......something I never thought would happen due to my diagnosis.

Good luck!

beth239
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also had endometriomas on my left ovary. My RE would not do an IVF cycle until it was removed. I had a lap done to remove it. From what I have heard and researched it will affect the egg quality. With everything you have to put into IVF I think you should try everything you can to make your ovaries healthy before starting a cycle. If he does not want to remove it, I would get a second opinion.
    me 34, DH 35
    Endo and MF
    Multiple IUI's BFN
    IVF #1-3 BFN
    IVF#4 BFP 1/21/09
    FET #1 5/10 cancelled
    FET #2 BFP 6/28 #1 at 11dp5dt beta 390 2/8/11
    FET #3 August 2013

catan
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've asked 3 REs and none think it should be removed. Maybe it's my age (37) or the fact that I had a lap already in March and they don't want to create more scarring. The endometrioma is about 2cm so I think that is small but I have no idea. Anyway, thanks for the responses!

singlecandle2
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Catan,
    Were the REs you consulted in the same practice and or same town? If they were, you may want to seek an additional opinion. One technique currently used is to aspirate the cyst if is not readily operable. Have you used Lupron to calm things down? If not, you may want to consider a course prior to a round of IVF. The best to you.

catan
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks,
    All three REs are from different clinics in different states and they all feel it is not worth doing surgery or aspirating. I will be on BCP and lupron for a microflare protocol.

lsl
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Interesting. Maybe its the size ? I had 3cm endometriomas on both ovaries and my doctor would not proceed with IVF until it is removed.
    Anyway good luck to your IVF.

bonbon1981
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Catan,
    I'm 27 yrs old, I was diagnosed with endometriosis when I was 24. I have severe endometriosis & it causes endo cysts- I seem to get a cyst pretty quickly after it was removed/aspirated.

I have had 2 laparoscopies: July '06/March '07 & 1 laparotomy: August '06 (when I was 24 yrs old)
    This has caused diminished ovarian resereve- having 3 surgeries.
    My FSH level is slightly higher (11.5) for somebody my age.
    I have also heard that a cyst causes your ovary to have problems as well, When you get a cyst it presses on your ovary.
    With having surgery it does cause scar tissue, adhesions.

Lets see.... Before I started my IVF cycles (I've done 3 cycles, I haven't gotten pregnant
    I had an ultrasound done, which showed a cyst. Before starting stimulation meds, I had a cyst aspiration done to take care of the cyst. With my cyst aspirations I had the cyst drained & the area around was cleaned out.
    If a person has a cyst & they are on medication, the medication can cause the cyst to grow- which is not good.

With my egg production- & having endometriosis my response to medication was different. I responded better with a lower dosage of stimulation meds. I forget the dosage #'s.
    With my medication protocol- we did lupron, menopur & gonal f.
    First cycle- we got about 7 eggs & endo cysts.
    2nd cycle- medication dosage was incresed & I got multiple endometriomas & only 1 egg. with my 2nd cycle we thought that if the dosage was increased that would produce more eggs.
    3rd cycle- we went back to pretty much the same dosage I got 6 eggs.

I would definately suggest before starting an IVF cycle, you should get the cyst drained. With draining it's much better than laparoscopy/laparotomy there is no cutting involved with the ovary, & no scarring So you don't loose any ovarian tissue.
    Lets see...
    I was put on BCP's with being on BCP's they didn't work for me, the cyst I had kept getting bigger. I eventually needed a laparoscopy. My dr. got inside & couldn't remove the whole cyst (due to it was pretty big) so I needed a laparotomy. the cyst I had it started messing up the ovary, which I needed half of the (left) ovary removed. With my laparoscopy my dr. thought I was going to need the whole ovary removed, but there was enough healthy tissue left.

I haven't been on lupron therapy before, so I"m not sure how that works. I'm sure there are other ladies who have been on lupron therapy so they would know more.

I hope this helps.
    Good luck

JillBee
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Catan,

I am 28 and in 2008 I was diagnosed with stage IV endometriosis. In July of last year I had 2 endometriomas removed (one from each ovary) laparoscopically. They were 3-4cm in size. My RE prescribed Lupron Depot injections for 3 months after my surgery, saying that following the surgery up with medication would give me the best chance at getting pregnant. I'm starting my first IVF cycle this month. I was SHOCKED to find out during pre-IVF lab work that I have a really high FSH level. I did not have that checked prior to surgery (it is not routine) so I have no idea what affect the surgery had on that number. I would ask your RE to check it prior to surgery. Despite being upset that my FSH is high, I would still recommend the surgery. Your ovaries will not be able to make as many eggs or as high a quality egg if there are endometriomas present. Hope this helps!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast