FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

adamshannon7
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

fluid in cul-de-sac

Has anyone been told that trapped fluid (blood) in the cul-de-sac can cause infertility? The doctor is hinting that this might be our main cause of failed cycles but I am not sure I understand why. I am only stage II endo - currently responding nicely to femara - big eggs - good sperm - nice lining... still no pregnancy.

Shannon

2. Advertisement

Sarah66
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe he is talking about a toxic environment for egg development, or immune issues (Lauren???) I am all about a good surgical cleanout before any ttc. Have you done assisted hatching?

Good luck!
    Sarah66
    mommy to 2 wonderful kids! I can't believe how fast this goes Who hit the warp drive button?
    Ds age 12, Dd age 9

Mom to a special needs child--my amazing, funny, tenacious dd!

BC-Shelli
    lives in lala land
    BC: Endo, PG Loss & Gyn Procedures
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Fine
    All of my u/s have showed fluid in the cul de sac.....no explanation was ever given and I never did concieve again, so I've always wondered if there was a connection. I had picture perfect cycles also.... I'm curious as to why your doctor feels this could be an issue?
    Shelli~ TTC #2 for 10 years until my body gave out...
    Dx: Chronic Endo/Adenomyosis.....Hysterectomy/LSO 3/9/02......Lap/RSO 12/9/04
    Mom to my *One-derful* Lindsay 11/9/90 and Michaela...Heaven Born at 8 weeks pregnancy 4/25/94

"I knew you before I formed you in your mother's womb" Jeremiah 1:5

adamshannon7
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Assisted hatching? What is this? So no - they have never talked about that... I had a lap done in Aug and they removed everything - including the fluid but it came right by my first post-lap u/s and has been there ever since. I asked about immune issues and she (the doc) said definately no - my blood work does not suggest that at all...

Shannon

adamshannon7
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

found fluid info

Well, I know it has been a couple weeks since this post but I found in an ENDO book some info about this fluid... The chart was called - Biological Mechanisms that might link endo and infertility - under this chart is lists... Althered Peritoneal Fluid - "women with endo often have an increased volume of fluid in the pelvis. Within the peritoneal fluid are substances produced by the immune system, including macrophages (immune cells that destroy bacteria) and prostaglandins (stimulate contraction and relaxation of the uterus and other smooth muscles all lower blood pressure and affect the action of certain hormones), which may create an enviormnment that impairs egg, sperm, embryo, and fallopian tube functions" (Endometriosis, The Complete Reference for Taking Charge of Your Health - 2004)

Although I found this info - I have found very little on whether this can be treated - if IVF will work, etc. I have also been told that Endo is an immune deficiency issue but my doctor said my blood tests did not reveal any abnormities?

I am getting so frustrated - you get so many opinions of what to do and I don't know where to go from here.... do we focus on immune testing? do we do an IUI? do we skip to IVF? do we do another lap to get rid of the fluid? I am not the doctor - I am tired of asking so many questions and asking about other possibilities... I sometimes feel like my doctor doesn't really know my chart - like she just looks at what is in front of her and doesn't review all my history.. she just sees the endo and goes from there... but I had a Leep a few years ago and I think that has affected my cervix... plus this *&(*^^ fluid! I just feel like nothing new is being done and we are just wasting time.... with the same treatment that isn't working.... I know many many many of you are going through the same frustrations....

ughhh - so sorry - just needed a rant...

i think I had a question in here somewhere...
    oh ya, has anyone out there been explained about this fluid because it seems like many endo cases have it but we seem to be left in the dark as to how this mucks things up....

shannon

BC-Shelli
    lives in lala land
    BC: Endo, PG Loss & Gyn Procedures
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Fine
    i think I had a question in here somewhere...
    oh ya, has anyone out there been explained about this fluid because it seems like many endo cases have it but we seem to be left in the dark as to how this mucks things up....
    I've seen several REs and OBGYNs and none have been able to explain the fluid issue or if/how it's related to infertility or why the fluid keeps coming back even after surgery. There are some many things that we don't know about endo yet...so many unanswered questions. It definetly is a strange and complicated disease.

Shelli~ TTC #2 for 10 years until my body gave out...
    Dx: Chronic Endo/Adenomyosis.....Hysterectomy/LSO 3/9/02......Lap/RSO 12/9/04
    Mom to my *One-derful* Lindsay 11/9/90 and Michaela...Heaven Born at 8 weeks pregnancy 4/25/94

"I knew you before I formed you in your mother's womb" Jeremiah 1:5

gator97
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know this is a little late but I just found these boards. I have fluid in my cul-de-sac and around my ovaries. I had a lap in August and the fluid had returned when I had my ultrasound in January.
    The way my RE explained it to me, the presence of peritoneal fluid does cause fertility issues. He said it is toxic to sperm and egg and basically shortens their "Shelf life" so there isn't time for fertilization. If fertilization does occur, I've read that the embryos aren't very strong and will not last.

He recommended IVF b/c it bypasses this issue. If we tried IUI, the fluid would still be an issue. He didn't recommend another lap at this time. We are trying IVF at the end of March. Fingers crossed.

CeCe1
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Everyone,
    I'm new here and just wanted to introduce myself.