FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nicole2608
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Period after an ectopic pregnancy and tube removal

Hello all!
    My husband and I have been trying to have a baby for 4 months and finally the best news ever in November came out that we are pregnant! A week later I was rushed to the hospital because we later found out I had an ectopic pregnancy and my left tube ruptured. So our exciting news turned so quickly..
    Myself and my husband are staying positive and hopeful since I have my right tube working.

My questions is for those who experienced the same, how does your period work after all this. My doctor said for us to wait at least 1 period cycle before we try again.
    I did have my first period which I assumed was my working tube, which was a month after the surgery. I was not sure what would happen for the side with no tube and how it is when that side is suppose to get your period. But I did have a period after the 1st one . It came a few days early and lasted 3 days. So I just wanted to see what others experienced because now that we are trying again iam assuming everything is going to be so different!

Thank you
    Nicole

2. Advertisement

TTCyears
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Losing a tube affects your chance of conception, but not menstruation cycles. It just means that when an egg is released from the ovary on the non-tube side, the chance of a viable pg is very low. Assuming you have an ovary on your tube side, those are the cycles you would likely get pg, if that tube is in good health.

When my ectopic ruptured (at 9 weeks) I lost over half my blood supply and had four units transferred. My next ovulation and period were right on time as if I hadn't even been pregnant. Maybe the blood transfusion reset my cycle? During losses without blood loss, my period has been delayed up to two weeks. Sure enough, I got pg again, but it took twice as long to do so.

After each of my losses, my menstruation flow changed, e.g. shorter. Used to be 6 days and is now 2 to 3.

Wishing you a viable pg soon!!
    ~S
    Sharon 42, DH 45

TTC#1
    2003 NTNP BFNs
    2004-2009 (5w5d to 11w4d; cp to ep)
    2010-2011 Foster
    2010 IVF-ICSI-PGS (May), FET#1-eSET (Dec), DD (b Aug 2011)

TTC#2
    2012 NTNP BFNs
    2013 FET#2-eSET (Mar), DS (b Nov 2013)

TTC-FET#3?

Nicole2608
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for your response! It does help to talk to others who went through the same situation. We are staying hopeful and positive!
    Thanks so much

Nursey_MaryJane
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    nicole,

first off, so sorry to hear about the ectopic pregnancy. they can be so traumatic and difficult. i myself had an ectopic in march 2010, and lost my right tube due to it rupturing. my doctor told me that i needed to wait 3 months before we started trying again. i have pcos as well, so i used provera to induce my period the first time in june. the way the body works is that usually you alternate sides that you ovulate on, so every other month you should have a chance of getting pregnant. i ended up getting pregnant in july 2010, just two cycles of clomid after starting to try again. i wish you a lot of luck, and keep us posted.
    Me - 29 PCOS DH 36 - Fine
    TTC since 2005
    February 2010 - Clomid 50 mg
    March 18 2010 - BFP!!
    March 31 2010 - Ruptured Ectopic @ 5w3d
    June 2010 - Clomid 50 mg w/ Metformin BFN
    July 2010 - Clomid 50 mg w/ Metformin BFP!!
    11/17/10 - IT'S A BOY!!!
    04/13/2011 - Henri Ashford IV arrives 9 lb 2.4 oz 21 inches long!

Nicole2608
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you very much for your post back! Its so helpful to hear your stories. Iam trying to stay on the positive sides. I still have breakdowns here and there, but hearing other stories helps.
    Good luck in your pregnancy and congrats to you!

my2stars
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Inspired
    Hi Nicole im new here and ive learned so much. i had my ectopic and left tube removal on 4/22/11 and i have not had a period yet. Im might even be preg but i go2 my follow up 2morrow. I also have my break down moments but immediately ask God to give me strength. Stay positive and remember we r all here to uplift each other

Nicole2608
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello
    Iam glad you responded to my post. The best way I have learned to deal with what happened was talk to people who went through the same situation.It took me 2 months to get back on my reg period schedule.

I found out in march that I am Pregnant and due Nov 21st!! Once we got the clearance it only took 2 months of trying, so there is a light at the end of the tunnel!!

When my ectopic happened I cried and prayed everyday. I knew it would happen, but with one tube I thought it would take a lot longer. Its all normal to feel those ways.

Good luck to you

AnaJ
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    In Love

hello

Well I wanted to write something but I feel that my post wont get any response. Sad so sad over here and its been 2 months since my eptopic pg and I miss it. I....... just need someone to talk to and some new friends
    discouraged, semi-depressed, and unsure
    :shrugs:

TTCyears
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Ana, although it does lessen, that doesn't go away. Yesterday I was asked by my PCP -how many previous pgs... ugh. True, uncertainty is difficult. Hang in there!

Nicole2608
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AnaJ View Post
    Well I wanted to write something but I feel that my post wont get any response. Sad so sad over here and its been 2 months since my eptopic pg and I miss it. I....... just need someone to talk to and some new friends
    discouraged, semi-depressed, and unsure
    :shrugs:
    Hi Ana
    I wanted to write back and let you know that you are not alone, you need to talk and vent and express your emotions. When I went through mine I felt nobody understood the emotions we go through. It helps to talk to people who went through the same feelings. It will take time.. and there is no time limit on how long it will talk. The best thing to do is it talk. Keep positive. I always thought to myself, well at least I know I could get preg. After my ectopic in Nov, we got preg in Feb and found out in march.. so there is always a hope. Keep your spirits up and know that things will work out and things for some reason happen for a reason. Please write back if you want to let out your feelings.. We are all here!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast