FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

Sam1
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

What should we expect from methotrexate treatment

Hi everyone

My wife was diagnosed with a tubal ectopic pregnancy last week. Luckily we caught it very early (hcg was 2013, sac =1cm, week 5) so she was considered a good candidate for methotrexate. They gave her a shot last wednesday and by now it looks like the HCG level has dropped as it is supposed too, after the expected initial rise. (saturday hcg=5123, tuesday hcg=4000)

I looked online but had a hard time finding any information about what to expect from the treatment, and our doctor is vague about it. She had a miscarriage two years ago, which was very painful (obviously), both physically and mentally. What I would like to know is if the methrotrexate treatment (if successful) will result in something similar to a miscarriage in terms of pain and expelling the sac, or if it will be more like a very heavy period. I am worried about her being alone during the day (I have to be at work) and I don't want her to go through this by herself. If the pain is going to be very bad, how will we distinguish it from a rupture? Finally, now that it looks like the treatment is working, does anybody know what the chance of a rupture are at this point. Again the doctor is only willing to say that it is still possible, but not very likely.

If anybody could share their experience so that we would know what to expect I would be very very grateful.

Thank you very much

Sam

2. Advertisement

Sam1
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

thank you!

Hi Goldie

Thank you very much for your kind words and I am very sorry you went through an ectopic pregnancy as well. Reading about your experiences was extremely helpful; now we know a lot more about what to expect. We won't be able to stop worrying until the hormone level is way down, but reading about your experience really helps alleviate some of the anxiety.

Thanks very much for your very quick response and for sharing your experience. It helps a lot.

Sam

momofoneson
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, Sam. I just went through this last month and it looks like I'm heading that way again this month. I got VERY achy from the shot. My whole body hurt starting about a day or so after the shot for about a week or so. It took about 2 1/2 wks for my hcg to go down, but mine only started at 1400 (though it went up to 2400 5 days after the metho). Other than that, I didn't really have any other side effects. Good luck.

Jan
    me 42, dh 49
    '87 ectopic, lost tube; '94 natural pg m/c 13 wks,
    endo, lap, Lupron, '02 1st ds
    ttc#2 - 5+ long years yrs, unexpl, endo, high fsh - clomid X5, follistim/iui X2, ivf X2 - all bfn
    '06 surprise natural pg - m/c 10 wks
    '08 surprise natural pg - ectopic
    '08 surprise natural pg - m/c 8 wks

hels
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry

Hi Sam,
    I am also so sorry about your loss. And I second Goldie in saying what an amazing husband you are to stand by your wife and check this out for her!!
    I had an ectopic almost a year ago which was treated by the meth shot. My levels were lower than your wifes...1500 by the time it was spotted. It was initially higher and started dropping which caused the docs to look and see what was going on, this is when they discovered the ectopic. Luckily I was not in pain and it did not rupture.
    I don't know of any stories where the tube ruptured after meth shot, but I would listen to the doc. It is important that they keep checking her HCG levels until they are down to less than 5 to make sure the pregnancy has fully resolved. THis can take a long time. FOr me it was more than 2 months, which is a very long and hard (emotionally) time. I just wanted to get back to being able to try again.
    After the shot, I remember some bleeding like a period but not exceptionally heavy, some vague pains and nausea which I think is just all from the meds. I wouldn't be worried unless you wife has severe symptoms. I also think that since the medication "dissolves" the pregnancy there is not much to discharge.
    If there are any concerns I would never hesitate to call the doctor, they work for you, after all and a good one will be very sympathetic and kind.
    Take care of yourselves and treat your wife with extra loves, it is the most devastating thing to go through and it hurts (in your heart) for a long time. THe loss of the baby, the dreams and the uncertainty of the future are just so cruel and painful.
    THank you again for being such a thoughtful hubby, your wife is a lucky woman.
    Good Luck for the future.
    Hugs to you both,
    Hels

hels
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Jan

Hi Jan,
    I am so sorry that you seem to be going there again. I really hope that you are not.
    I will keep you in my prayers.
    Will you please keep us posted?
    Stay well,
    Hugs,
    Hels