FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

kriszta
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

How many eggs to transfer with DE? One or two...?

Hi everyone,
    I am doing egg donation and am due for the transfer this month. I am 45 years old, healthy and single. I am looking for advice/ feedback/ experiences on how many eggs I should have transferred: one or two.....I know there are no rules about the outcome and I am also told by my clinic that the chances for multiples are around 30-40% if two eggs are transferred.... any advice? I am scared of having multiples, but at the same time, this has been such a long process that I would like to have success with this first fresh transfer....I had a frozen transfer a few months ago which was not successful.

Thanks!

2. Advertisement

tridreamin
    BFP with first DE

Post Thanks / Like
    Kriszta - this is a difficult decision for sure and it is one only you and your partner could make. I'm 45 and just did my first fresh DE cycle. Luckily, we got a BFP (only 14 days along). We transferred 2. I was really scared we wouldn't have any because only 2 fertilized out of our batch of 7. Long story ..... I was willing to do two because of our particular situation with the embryos. It gave us a better shot of a bfp. What did your docs says? I know it is scary to have multiples. I guess the question comes down to how much each of us is willing to deal with the possibility of a bfn if we transfer one and it does not work. Then how much time is there for us to try again. However, the brighter side is that we are dealing with younger and much higher probability of good strong eggs and the one you decide to transfer would take. I am sorry I couldn't be any help, but it wanted to share my story and offer you my support!

vacationqueen
    is finished ttc.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    In Love
    kriszta-That is always a tough choice to make and so many variables can affect the final decision. I was also nervous about multiples so I leaned toward transferring one and decided to wait until I received the embryos grade and the embryologist's opinion to make my final decision. I originally went into this believing that you should only transfer the number you are comfortable carrying, but past failed cycles made my decision a little harder. I ended up having a 5dt, which made my decision a bit easier since it was obvious which one was the best quality. I had 1 grade b blast and 2 morulas. The embryologist gave me the choice to transfer 1 morula in addition to the blast to increase my chances but I decided to just transfer the blast since the hsg showed the potential for problems for carrying twins plus the thought of the extra cost of raising twins and daycare for 2 children worried me. I second-guessed myself throughout the entire 2ww and became a ball of nerves but my transfer was early in the morning and I was told that chances were good that my blast would have been graded an A if I had a later transfer. (They recommend only transferring one blast if it is given a grade of A.) I happily got a very strong bfp only 7 days after the transfer and things have been going well ever since. I found out that the morula they wanted to transfer caught up later that day and made it to freeze so there is a good chance I would have had twins if I had it transferred it.

I probably would have transferred 2 if the grading was lower or if I just had morulas and no blasts. A 3dt is an even tougher call to make since it seems transferring 2 is typically (but not always) the norm. Sorry, I know I haven't helped you much but I thought I would share some of the issues that went into my final decision. I wish you the best of luck and I hope you let us know how everything goes!

mstarcolorado
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Hi Kriszta, A very tough question! If you have a young donor and the embryos are of good quality, I believe the success rate of twins is much higher! And I'm living proof of that! Our hypothesis (DH is a scientist/researcher) is that the 30-40% statistic is actually higher in DE because that number is blended with all IVF transfers and donors. In reality, most people use very young donors (ours is 23) and we believe that if they isolated the data to include young donors and high-quality embryos, that multiples stat would be much higher. However, clinics do not report that level of detail; although, I'm positive my clinic, which does a lot of DE IVF, has this data - they just aren't able to publish it.

Anyway, we did NOT want twins - at first. And we were planning on transferring only one all the way through. However, my friend had just done DE IVF (albeit in Czech Republic vs. CCRM) 2 weeks before us and days before our transfer they got a BFN with 2 high-quality embryos. At the last moment we opted for 2. And, well, we got twins coming in Feb!

We're OK with it now. We've done a lot of research and are doing everything possible to ensure the healthiest twin pregnancy possible. Good luck to you! Let us know what you decide and what your outcome is!
    Me: 39 yo breast cancer survivor (6 yrs); DH: 45
    Donor Egg IVF 6/4/11
    ET 2 Fresh Embryos 6/9/11 (6 healthy totsicles on ice)
    BETA #1 6/18/11, 9dp5dt - BFP! 559!!!
    BETA #2 6/20/11, 11dp5dt - 1600!
    1st U/S: 7/6/11 TWINS!!!!
    My Blog "Climber's Blog Gone Mommy"

kriszta
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi Tridreamin,
    thanks for your feedback. Wow, you are lucky! I did a FET back end-April, there were six eggs, but only 3 fertelized and they transferred two, but no sucess. My August cycle was cxl-ed due to a problem with the donor, and I had to chose my # 2 donor and wait now till mid/end September......

kriszta
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi vacationqueen,
    congrats, that's great news, good for you! I hope all will go well with your pregnancy and baby.
    my clinic messed up the cylce/ something went wrong with the donor and now I chose another donor and have to wait till mid/end September. I was so angry earlier this week, I couldn't believe what happened. Now I have to keep waiting for another six or so weeks. I have been waiting since May now...

kriszta
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    hello mstarcolorado,
    thanks for your reply. The donor is 31 and hade cylce before with good results, and she seems healthy and fit etc. Anway, this will be my second donor, since this August cycle was messed up by the first donor and the clinic. So now I need to wait till end September, for another cycle. Since I am single and soon 46, I probably should opt for just 1 embryo if it seems very good.....we shall see....anyway congrats to you, I hope you will have a good pregnancy!