FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jenniferjy
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Sad

Devastated after TWO miscarriages with donor eggs

Hi there,
    I am new here and have never been part of a forum. Thank you for understanding if I am doing this incorrectly.
    Our story began when I was 36 (will be 39 this October). After 6 mos of TTC a blood test revealed an FSH of 14 - wow have I had to learn a lot! After the battery of tests, I was told by two separate clinics that I would not respond well to stimulation. I tried another doc who was willing to try stimulating me and it did not work - it was canceled. We were initially shocked at the idea of donor eggs but after realizing it was the only way for us to have a child I could carry (and that could be genetically related to at least one of us) we decided we had no choice.
    We transferred 2 embryos in Sept 2010.....I miscarried at 8 weeks. We used a new donor this past May, got 20 eggs, 19 fertilized and 7 made it to day 5. We transferred 2 on May 11 (after a difficult transfer with the RE "losing" on embryo using the wrong catheter). We froze 4. I went to the clinic this past Wednesday for my 6.5 week u/s.....I started bleeding on the table....there was only an empty gestational sac. Obviously, we are devastated. We've lost 4 (actually 5 thanks to the RE) embryos from 2 separate donors. I can't help but think something may be going on with me. I'm certain I don't have clotting issues. Maybe my body rejects them? I will go back to the clinic next week for another u/s and blood draw - I want to ask them (all three docs in the clinic) to look at my chart(s) and make sure we are not missing something before we try again with the frozen embies. I don't know...I am not an expert.....is there something anyone else knows. Thanks so much - I am so grateful to have found this site/forum. I feel so overwhelmed with this incredible loss and pain.

2. Advertisement

kriszta
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi there - my girlfriend in Toronto swears on the IVIG treatment, it is an antibody treatment for people who have miscarried before. But as far as I know, here in the US, they do not do it and is categorized to be still in a clinical trial phase. But over there in Canada, they do it and insurance pays for it too. She is for the first time pregnant now, also with donor eggs. They do the IVIG once a month I believe. She strongly believes it has helped her.....sorry for you losses. I am due to have a fresh DE cylce in August....first time with FET it did not work out. Best of luck!

daydreams
    is hopeful

Post Thanks / Like
    Loss Mentioned

Hi Jennifer - I'm so very sorry for your losses. It is hard enough to get past the hump and accept moving on to donor eggs only to have two miscarriages. I just had my second m/c from donor eggs at the end of May so I feel your pain. My first RE did a RPL panel on me after our first m/c in December and didn't find any issues so we just accepted that there was probably something wrong with the embryo. The last time they checked some of my blood levels at my 6 wk u/s and found that my thyroid was elevated but not in a way that would cause a m/c. They put me on synthroid and then when I went for my 8 wk u/s at 8w6d, there was no heartbeat. We were completely shocked and devastated as we had already started believing this was the one and that we were really going to have a baby. I had a d & c on 5/24 b/c the RE wanted to send the tissue off for pathology to see if there was something wrong with the baby. We are still waiting on those results. The embryo was from a fresh cycle so like you we still have some embryos frozen.

My RE has mentioned that it may have just been really bad luck but we won't know for sure until we meet with him later this month. Have you had any RPL testing done outside of clotting issues? You may want to talk to your RE about it b/c there are things they can do for some of the issues. Do you know when you plant to meet with your doctors? I know that I have a lot of answers I need before I can put myself through this again. I'm at the point now where I can have that conversation and think about moving forward but there is no way I could have done it in the first couple of weeks. Again, I am so sorry for your loss. I wish this were easier. Take care.

jenniferjy
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Sad
    Thanks so much. It is nice to hear that I am not alone. I have had no testing done as of yet. I will go back to the clinic next week for a blood draw and u/s to check the "progress" of the m/c. I will then ask for an appointment to talk with at least one of the RE's. I will ask that they prepare BEFORE our meeting and go over my chart as I want to cover everything. We did not do any testing after the first m/c - just thought it was bad luck. Maybe my RE's are not as proactive as yours. I want to know NOW what could be wrong....I feel crazy........I know I need to allow my mind and body to heal - after all this only happened 3 days ago. Guess where I get to go today??? A baby shower for a friend of mine having twins!!! (from the same clinic). GREAT! The cramping (that comes and goes) may force me to leave early. Of course I'm happy for my friend but I am losing hope for our future.

Thanks so much for responding to me.

daydreams
    is hopeful

Post Thanks / Like
    Stay strong today, I can imagine that will hard especially when you are still going through the m/c. Definitely look into the RPL testing, if you need any information on it let me know. My RE has a list of things they test for and I can give you the link if you need it. I think our RE did it after the first one b/c we had already been through cycles with our own eggs that didn't work out and he wanted to eliminate anything he could.

I definitely get the crazy feeling, especially since we have had the testing and there isn't anything wrong. I just keep thinking there has to be something besides bad luck. We just assumed moving on to DE would mean instant success for us. I mean what if we went through our next cycle and it doesn't work at all. I know I need to try and keep those thoughts out of my head but my mind does go there. Keep me posted on your meetings. I have to go and have another blood draw next week also and hopefully my beta is back to 0 (who would have ever thought i would wish for that). We were supposed to meet with our RE next week but I think we are going to try to go to the beach for a long weekend and get away. They may not have the results back from pathology anyway as that can take 4 weeks so it looks like I won't be meeting with him until the last week of June. I'm hoping I'll be ready to get started soon after that.

Hugs to you today.

Anave
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine
    Hi, I'm sorry for your losses{hugs}.

I think the very good thing is that the implantation took place both times! I don't think your body rejects the embryos.
    Miscarriage in the first few weeks of pregnancy usually means that there was something wrong with the developing embryo . Either because of the egg or sperm quality.Maybe you can ask your dr to run more specific tests on your huband's sperm? I know you probably had the basic tests already but there is more tests that may be done. You can also check your husband's kariotype - to check for any chromosomal abnormalities.
    Have you ever have histeroscopy done?
    Uterine biopsy?
    Diagnostic laparoscopy? (more invasive but will detect for example endometriosis)
    NK cells test?

Somebody mentioned IVIG treatment - well,...this can be very expensive ($$$$). The alternative is intralipid infusion which costs no more than 100$ .

I got pregnant with our first DE transfer. I've done intralipid infusion 2 weeks before the transfer. I don't have clotting disorder either but after talking to my dr we both agreed to try Lovenox (blood thinner) after the transfer (for 12 weeks if I get pregn than switch to aspirin). My dr even said I may have a problem that they are still unable to detect...
    I'm pregnant with twins.

Good luck honey. I know how hard it is to keep faith but it will happen. btw - may I ask what clinic did you use?
    Ana
    Severe endo IV st., removed fallopian tubes, low ovarian reserve.
    1ivf - bfn
    2nd ivf - bfp/ chemical
    3rd ivf - bfp/chemical
    4th ivf - cancelled
    5th ivf - bfn
    6th ivf - bfn
    moved to DE.
    ET 2 blasts -04/28. BETA #1 -8dp5dt - 309.5 BETA#2 -11dp5dt -1536.9! BETA#3 -15dp5dt - 8471.2 , Light bleeding but BETA# 4 -17dp5dt -over 19,000
    Twin boys

TTCyears
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Breezy
    Asides bloodwork (that you have had and will have, including DH --- he had his DNA frag done, right?), have you had a 3D u/s to rule out a mild uterine septum? I had one of the rare ones (fundal) and it took my 4th RE to diagnose and remove it. My septum didn't look anything like the classic ones you see (heart-shaped uterus). Basically from the inside my uterus looked normal (multiple u/s, SHG, HSGs), but the 3D u/s indicated it was thicker than usual at top and sure enough I had some "unfriendly" tissue. As far as luck, many folks find (during FET#1 or FET#2) that their "worst" (graded) embryos were the genetically normal ones with a chance to stick.

I am sorry for your losses and hardship.

I hope you complete your testing and make plans and have success soon.
    ~S

jenniferjy
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Sad
    Thanks so much to all for the great info. I have not had any of these tests....only the baseline tests to see what the underlying causes of infertility may be....HSG, FSH etc. I have not had a sonogram. I will insist on these tests before we try again with the 4 frozen embies. I am a bit frustrated with my RE's as they should have required at least some of these tests. Anave, we really only have two main clinics in Salt Lake that specialize in infertility - the University of Utah (a research facility) and Reproductive Care Center (RCC). I have seen both (and another one in American Fork, Ut) and have been using RCC.
    I know we have to be our own advocate when it comes to our health care - this reinforces my feelings. I feel as though they should have been more thorough......I guess I should have as well (given me last comment). I am impatient - I want to have the testing done and move on and start again.....Thanks again.

Danasingle
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Preg and LOSSES ment'd

Hi Jennifer,
    My condolences again on your losses. I just m/c'd my second DE/DS baby at 13 weeks. (still pregnant, as I had multiples) (first De/DS m/c was at about 9.5 weeks). They were both chromosome issues. The common denominator was my donor sperm, but who knows, really?

Yes, it is possible to have really bad luck. I would skip the sonogram and go straight to a hysterocopy, as is if there is a slight problem, they can fix it immediately.

I've been taking Lovenox and b.a. for all three of my donor transfers. My currrent OB and local RE disagree and asked me to stop immediately. Who knows?

Hugs again.

Dana

jenniferjy
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Sad
    Dana,
    I have had the Hysterosalpingogram which was normal that is why they did not do a sonogram. I am scheduled for a "recurrent loss panel" of testing around July 11. I was told the pregnancy hormone must be out of the system for many of the tests. I will check into a hysterocopy - I've never heard of it. I took baby aspirin both times. I have a 36 year old friend who is pregnant with twins (thru IVF -her own eggs) that took the baby aspirin as well.

Out of curiosity, how much estradiol/estrogen were you prescribed and how much progesterone? I took estradiol 3mg twice daily (morning and night). Crinone twice a day starting the day of transfer (once a day a week before transfer).

Thanks,
    Jennifer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast