FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

nancyandjason83
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

How long does donor sperm live?

Once you have the IUI, on average how long does the donor sperm live to reach the egg? I read somewhere that having sex with your partner- if he does not have a male factor, the sperm could live for up to 5 days or so. I believe i read on here that donor sperm do not live that long because it is thawed, but i forget what the average length of time is. I know people also say all you need is one good timing IUI cycle when using the donor sperm, but doesnt it make more sense, since the sperm do not live as long and you cant go home to "top things off" with your husband because of no sperm, the clinic would do back to back IUI just in case you release the follicles later than expected, even with the HCG trigger, that open window is 12-48 hours typically.

For everyone who has done IUI with donor sperm, have any of you come across this question to your RE? I am going to a new doctor next friday and would love any advice!
    4 IUI's - BFN...what do do now??

2. Advertisement

Almost30
    is so in love with her baby girl :)

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amazed
    I have been told that it only lives and average of 12hrs. but my Doctor says it can live for up to 24hrs. Frozen sperm doesn't live as long as fresh sperm though so timing your insemination is a lot more important when using frozen sperm.

tess1026
    Thankful
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy

child/preg mentioned....

I was blessed to become pregnant on DSIUI #2. My RE also said approx. 24 hrs, but the lab said average of 12 hrs "after insem". Timing is the key. I only had a single insem, my RE said the b/b did not statistically improve chances. Tons of opinions on that!

Good luck!

Vickie

nancyandjason83
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    tess- where did you purchase your donor sperm? Did the place you ordered from guarantee a certain percentage of motile sperm in each vial?

Congrats on the BFP

tess1026
    Thankful
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy
    I ordered from xytex. I've heard some negative things about them (customer service wise), but the were absolutely great to me. They did not have a guaranteed #, but they have a min. standard. Sue (from the lab) explained it all to me re: washing procedures, spinning, ect. Sorry I can't recount it all for you, but they provided tons of info for me.

Have you ordered yours or are you in the process?

Vickie

nancyandjason83
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had come across another thread that said they ordered from fairfax and the doctor performing the iui said that the quantity that was given in the vial was no where near enough to even perform the iui and that she should ask for her money back. she called fairfax and got her money back, since there was less motile sperm than what fairfax promises in the warranty. I honestly never gave this a thought. It could happen to anyone ya know? I had ordered 2 vials at fairfax. The donor i picked has proven pregnancies though. But to see 35 % after thaw motility makes we wonder if that is normal for donor sperm after it is thawed out

tess1026
    Thankful
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy
    To me it was all a bit confusing. The #s are so different, depending on how the lab thaws, spins and washes. Did you have pre-washed samples or did your RE/lab do it? IMHO, the timing is more important than the counts. If I am remembering correctly - 35% is pretty good for DS. Is this your first iui?

Vickie

nancyandjason83
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am actually waiting till I get my AF so i can start IUI # 2 because my first doctor was a jerk . The timing for my first IUI was completely wrong and they had thawed my sperm out. My loss! The first doctor wanted me to order ICI and they had their own lab. So i have 2 vials left. The new doctor i have coming up next week told me that they can wash the ICI sperm at their lab.. so we will see

Kylie
    cool
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    The key is to get the IUI right after the egg releases . Are you getting ultrasound monitoring and HCG injection? That is how I had success with my cycles (I have done 10and have four children now). The egg lasts up to 24 hrs max, so it's easier to get the sperm there after you ovulate so the sperm can go right for it . I hope your clinic does IUIs 7 days a week, that is important! I used ICI specimens that were washed by my RE's lab for my IUIs.

april&tom
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    From all of my Googling research, the Egg lives upto 24 hours (but first 12 is best) and Thawed Sperm lives upto 24 hours (but first 12 is best). So, ideally, the Sperm should be inserted around 6 hours before ovulation, to give them travel time and they are in position, waiting as the Egg is released.

So, that means, for most ladies, IUI should be done 30 hours after LH surge (makes OPK+ testing at every pee-break very important!). And, best timing is done w/ U/S and HCG trigger...

~April
    http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1e80da