FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Melgal
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

donor egg question

What is the difference between choosing a donor and being matched with a donor?

When picking a donor is there anything that I need to consider like blood type? Could having a different blood type or RH factor effect the chance of the donor ivf working or not?

Thanks for any imput about this,i t seems almost silly to ask.

2. Advertisement

YayaMimi
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can choose a donor by either finding someone you know who is willing or by using an egg donor agency--you can find many of them online. The agency will charge a fee (typically $5000) and the donor will charge a fee (typically $5000). Or you can wait for your clinic to match you with one of their in house donors (you will have to pay the donor fee, typically $5000). For most clinics, this takes forever.

Blood type doesn't matter. Rh factor doesn't matter either.

However, if you are RH negative and either your male partner or the donor is positive, then you must get an Rh shot following any pregnancy (including miscarriage) to avoid problems in future pregnanzies. I am Rh negative and I have no idea what my donor is--I just know that if I am lucky enough to get pg, I will make sure to get the shot.

Melgal
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for clearing that up. We had a consult yesterday and now we need to get some test done HSG (not sure why I really even need that since I am using DE"s) blood test seeing mock cycle....etc....I can't wait untill we are able to get to the point of ET.

YayaMimi
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mel: The HSG is very very important to make sure you don't have a hydro, which is a fluid filled fallopian tube. The fluid can leak into the uterus and drastically reduce the ability of an embie to implant.

Melgal
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that infomation. I didn't understand the reason behind it since we are going to use the DE

Blakey
    Feeling so grateful for our daughter

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    Quote Originally Posted by Melgal
    Thanks for clearing that up. We had a consult yesterday and now we need to get some test done HSG (not sure why I really even need that since I am using DE"s) blood test seeing mock cycle....etc....I can't wait untill we are able to get to the point of ET.

Having a saline HSG is standard protocol for a lot of clinics with women who are undergoing donor cycles. They want to make sure that your uterus looks good, and that you don't have any polyps, fibroids, or scar tissue. A lot of times when women do IVF with their own eggs, they do an HSG to check your fallopian tubes. Where you are doing a D-cycle, it will be more to look at your uterus. I just had one myself. Good luck in your future cycle!!

P.S. Be aware that if you pick a donor from an agency, the prices can be significantly higher, than if your clinic has their own donor pool. We were told in the beginning of our process that compensation for donors would be 5k, but that is not the case. Realistically, agency fees can range anywhere between $5-6k- and a donor can ask for up to 10k for compensation. Just to let you know. I have found that this does vary depending on where you live, and what agency you use.

YayaMimi
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Having a different blood type or Rh factor makes no difference relative to a successful pg. However, if you are Rh negative, and either the donor or the sperm source is Rh positive, then you will need a Rhogam shot at certain points in your pg. I am Rh negative and blood type is not even a factor I considered. I know from some people it is important because either they don't want to deal with the Rhogam or they want their child to have a blood type that is consistent with what an egg from their own ovaries would have produced.
    Last edited by YayaMimi; 05-07-2009 at 03:45 PM.