FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Elly'sMom
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

What were the early signs of Add/ADHD in your infants

Can anyone tell me some of the earliest signs when your child was an infant and now you know that was a tell-tale sign of add/adhd?

Would always moving arms and legs, fighting sleep, no real naps during the day, hating car seat unless car is moving...are these any signs that you recognize? Our little one - is ALWAYS awake, and moving and must be held and all the things above...we are just wondering...

Maybe this question isn't valid - but I know that add/adhd runs in DH family and his siblings can recognize the signs now that every child has this as early as 3-6 mos (they know what to look for). Our child is adopted so we just don't know if it is something that is genetic in the birth family.

Thanks for any info -
    a concerned new mommy!!
    Momma to A & M & J

2. Lori
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Your kiddo could be having sensory integration issues as well. These are not necessarily signs of ADD or ADHD.

How does he respond to sounds...bright lights...crowds...change in temperatures...clothing...other types of movement (aside from the car), etc, etc.

How is his eye contact? Is he babbing? How is his eating habits? Does he sleep at night? Does he turn to your voice when you call from across the room?

Lori
    Lori

"C&N" 9 year old twins

Elly'sMom
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    No SI issues - pretty familiar with that stuff (1st son is adopted from Russia and dx with SI & FAS) No Autism issues - VERY familiar with that.

He is just a busy guy.
    Thanks
    Momma to A & M & J

JoanneNY
    Long time FTer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi...

My DS was diagnosed with ADHD late last spring (at age 5, almost 6), but I saw red flags long before that.

I can't say that I saw any specific ones in infancy, though he was never what I would term "easy". He had colic the first 3 months, and then seemed to hit on every "difficult" stage there is. Some talk about terrible 2s, trying 3s, etc...Dylan seemed to fit all of them . Don't get me wrong - he's a great kid but has always been a bit high maintenance. He has always been "busy" but not necessarily to a concerning degree. His main issues as he grew older were with impulse control and not focusing.

We also have strong genetic factor for ADHD on my side of the family among males.

I'd be curious what the signs are that your family now can recognize - would love to think about them with Dylan in mind.
    Joanne
    Dylan ~ 9 years old and his ^i^ twin
    ^i^ 3/03

"All great ideas were crazy before they were brilliant."

Lori
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sorry - I wasn't trying to suggest your son was autistic!

SI can be present without autism and it was just the first thing I thought of.

My son had all those symptoms you mention and THEN SOME and he is autistic. But, he had a TON MORE things going on. Actually, more than likely my kid is autistic and ADHD we just are not yet treating the ADHD with meds (just behavioral techniques).

ori
    Lori

"C&N" 9 year old twins

Elly'sMom
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    No problem...we are used to all of the ....could be...this or that. We have been thru it all with our oldest. He is a FAS kid thru and thru...but our newest little one...just curious as he is busy with the arms and legs - and he doesn't nap much...just little cat naps of 15-20 minutes...he does sleep thru the night YEA from 8-9 hrs...so we are happy about that...very advanced - rolled over at 4 weeks...has been pushing up on his legs for about 2 months OMG - and he is "ooching" everywhere and he is only 4 months old....we have 2 VERY different boys...one who struggles and one who is the over-achiever...I think they will compliment each other..
    Thanks!!
    Momma to A & M & J

Denise123
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Infant signs if ADHD

Hi elly's mom,
    I think you posted this in 2002, but I was wondering what ever happened to your second son. My son now is constantly moving his arms especially when trying to sleep. It's a must that u swaddle him. He likes to be held more than not. He's not a great sleeper during day but sleeps well at night. He has napped at least one 3 hour nap several times or at least a couple times a week. He has G.I. Issues that were finally discovered in february. He has hot to be on very special formula. Before we found this out he cried and was miserable practically the entire day. Now, he might be fussy or cry a total of an hour to 90 min a day but still does not have a regular nap schedule. He will chill by himself a little bit but prefers to he looked and talked to. My first son was nothing like this and it us really difficult and draining and stressful on me. Was you son ever diagnosed of anything or did he eventually grow out of it?
    Thanks.

Terry
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Lurking
    Quote Originally Posted by Elly'sMom View Post
    Would always moving arms and legs, fighting sleep, no real naps during the day, hating car seat unless car is moving...are these any signs that you recognize? Our little one - is ALWAYS awake, and moving and must be held and all the things above...we are just wondering...
    Interesting... my sons are both autistic and ADHD but were exactly the opposite of what you describe. The lay for long periods without movement, slept well, napped well, loved riding in the car and sitting in their car seats. They were actually very easy babies.
    Terry - Cancer Survivor- 9 yrs!
    Robert/Max 13 (Identical)
    Asperger's syndrome/ADHD

“My children aren’t broken; they don’t need to be fixed. They have something special, they can think ‘outside the box’. So what if that’s because they don’t know the box exists. All I need to do is teach them how to deal with all those people who can’t think outside the box.”

Adrienne
    has status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Angelic
    some kids are more of the sensory seeking type and all the moving around is what they like. I wouldn't think of that as an add/adhd sign necessarily but can be one of a cluster of issues. Our guy is a blowing and going 9 y/o now and I felt him moving at 14 weeks gestation--never stopped. Napping was tough but when he did/does sleep he is down and resting well. People comment on how active he is and his Pedi mentioned adhd once but he doesn't have any attention issues in school or at home. disorganized sometimes.

Adrienne

beautiful boy

BC-MAV
    has Queen status
    Board Coordinator for Surrogacy BB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I noticed no signs of ADHD when DS was an infant. He was very easy... slept through the night at 3 months, played for hours on end by himself, had a precocious vocabulary as a toddler, read early, had no tantrums till age 4, etc.... No clues really!
    MAV Mom to

B (13)
    A (8)

(4/99) (4/05)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast