FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

KimAtFertilityAuthority
    has no status.
    Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Mellow

Fertility drugs, fertility treatment, and Cancer Awareness

We all know October is Breast Cancer Awareness month, but I was thinking this morning about all of the various rumors about fertility drugs/treatment and cancer.

For one, some believe that fertility drugs cause cancer. The fact of the matter is, you should be having your annual pap smears and mammograms to check for cancer. While fertility drugs do not cause cancer, they can definitely aggravate an existing tumor by feeding estrogen. I could see where this misconception comes from. If several people you know are currently in fertility treatment and find out they have cancer (or if you've heard anything about Giuliana Rancic's story), and you don't know much about cancer or fertility drugs, it is easy to buy into the rumor.

Here are some more articles on cancer and fertility drugs/treatment:
    New Research Says Fertility Drugs Are Not Linked to Ovarian Cancer

Life after Cancer and Preserving Fertility for the Future

Do Fertility Treatments or Fertility Drugs Cause Breast Cancer?

Then of course, there was that IVF kids and cancer article in Parents Magazine and subsequent debate on Facebook that says IVF kids are more likely to develop cancer...will you still take the risk? (way to frame that, Parents Magazine...as if we didn't feel bad enough that we have to turn to science to get knocked up.)

Read this article which shows that probably isn't true (similar to the fertility drugs and cancer article, you might have just been predisposed to cancer or the mothers of these kids had a condition that not only caused their infertility but also caused increased risk of cancer): Kids Born after Infertility at Risk of Cancer?

So, I think Cancer Awareness is heavily linked to infertility and while there is so much we don't know yet, we should definitely be talking about these topics to raise awareness. If you take away anything from this post, it is to PLEASE go for your annual screenings. The more you know, the more proactive you can be, the more educated decisions you can make regarding your health and fertility.
    What do you think?

2. Advertisement

laurafrancese
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My mother and sister both had breast cancer. I have been taking infertility drugs for almost a year. I am already scared to death that I will be diagnosed with BC and of course these drugs I'm taking just add to my fear. I'm torn and I need to make a decision soon whether to continue ttc.