FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    loveliest1
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Hopeful

How often should a 9 month old be nursing?

DD still nurses every 3 hours or so, and usually once at night after about 8 hours of sleeping in a row. Is this about where we should be, or should I be pushing a little more solids and a little less nursing gradually? Right now, she gets two meals of solids per day and sometimes one snack (like 2 oz. juice with a zwieback toast or something). I know at around a year she needs to be at 3 meals and two snacks, but I'm just afraid to back off the nursing and add in more meals and snacks right now. Is it ok to do that? I guess I'm just afraid she won't get enough milk and will dehydrate or something! I'm probably just being paranoid. She has grown GREAT up to this point, and I just don't want to mess things up now!

Oh, and if it helps any, I do plan to start the weaning process at a year...I feel like that's what's best for our family, and although I will miss this greatly, I just feel like I am close to being ready.

TIA!
    Kasey
    C, 10/2007
    L, 1/2006
    JRT, born sleeping 4/19/2013

2. Advertisement

StaceyTX
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Right now Jacob is only nursing about 5 times in a 24 hour period. He eats 3 meals a day. He takes 3 bottles at the sitters while I work that total 18-21 oz. I'm estimating he takes in 32-35 oz of breast milk a day.
    Born in Heaven 12/5/01
    9 years old
    7years old
    4 years old

"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - unknown

StaceyTX
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    By the way, I think y'all are doing just fine. If you plan to wean at a year, enjoy all the nursing you can until then. And then you can start weaning by adding more solids and sippy cups of milk.
    Born in Heaven 12/5/01
    9 years old
    7years old
    4 years old

"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - unknown

agnes2712
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Carlee is 10 1/2 months old (8 months adjusted age) and nurses 4-5 times during the day and once during the night. She eats 3 meals a day. With her being a preemie she only weighs 16.5 lbs so I try to get in extra calories any time that I can.

I think you are doing fine. When I nursed my 2 year old I added in a lunchtime meal at 9 months. She only nursed 4 times a day and had 3 meals. I started introducing a sippy cup at that point too.
    Tammy
    (DS) Trevor 20 years old-College...Hooray!
    (DD) Avery Grace 4/12/06
    (DD) Carlee Bren 9/09/07 born at 29 weeks
    (DS) Conner Darris 9/09/07-9/29/07........20 days old
    my sweet boy....you are always in my heart

cro
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds about right. J was nursing every 2-3 hrs for a couple years. Some of those times would be "snacks" or "quick sips" but still, every couple hours. When your baby's under a year old, breastmilk is the most important food they can have, so there's no reason to cut back if you and dd aren't ready yet.
    babywearing, breastfeeding, homeschooling mama to:
    M ~ born in Russia August 31, 2002 ~ home August 5, 2004
    J ~ natural miracle ~ born March 20, 2005
    E ~ another natural miracle ~ born December 8, 2008

Blondie8
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds about right but when I read every 3 hours I about popped my clogs!

We're probably on 4 times in the day, possibly 1 during the night. We'd dropped the night feed but with teething he's up usually 1:00ish for a feed.
    “Children don’t belong to us. They are litle strangers who arrive in our lives and give us the pleasure and duty of caring for them–but we don’t own them. We help them become who they are.” Gloria Steinem

flowergirl1
    is CLEANING!
    Board Coordinator- Life's Journey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Amazed
    This is just so interesting to me because I have a 5 month old who sometimes ONLY wants to nurse about 5 times a day! AND I worry because he IS small...although dr. wasn't worrited AT ALL. His growth curve was perfect. He was just born a lil early and small. I TRY to feed him every 3 hours, but sometimes he just flat out refuses and what do you do?
    B C 4/29/06 at 34w3d (over 7 yrs of ttc, 3 IUI's, & 1 IVF)
    H 2/25/08 (our miracle) hospital BR for 9wks & home BR for 2wks due to IUGR & PROM at 26 wks...we made it to 37wks! 5lb.2oz. 17in.

Womens Live Auction!!! http://www.fertilethoughts.com/forum...ml#post7281464

Reedy
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you all are doing just fine! As far as BM goes: My DD (almost 9 months) nurses 7:30 a.m., then takes 3 bottles from nanny during the day (approx. 6 oz each). Then nurses when I get home, at bedtime & is up once or twice on a good night (the first time, after a 6 hr stretch she is really hungry, the second (and sometimes 3rd time is her just nipping for comfort - something we need to work one). We are also doing two "meals": Once cereal/fruit combo & one veggie & sometimes one snack (a biter biscuit & water). So, it doesn't sound that far off from your LO - you all seem to be doing great!

A_A_AMom
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    DD is one and we just recently started cutting down to about 4 times/day (ocassionally 5). At 9 months she was usually nursing 6xs/24hrs, with a rare 5xs and occasional 7xs. Sounds like you are doing great!
    Kendra (31), DH (36)

Addison (1 yr old!)
    Adam (6)
    Aaron (13)
    Ashley (16)

Ontario14
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    We are nursing 5 times a day, and I'm trying to squeeze in 3 meals, with the occasional sippy cup free for all. At the 9 month check up, I asked the pedi, and said he'd be fine if Nicholas went down to 3 nursings a day (or 3 dairy offerings, be it nursing, yogurt, etc), so I think you're doing fine. For the baby food, he said 1 jar of veggies, 1 jar of meat (wow!), and 1/2-1 jar of fruit per 24 hours. My little guy (at 20 lbs) is still getting up to that point, so these are just guidelines. I think my morning feed, and my late night feed, are the longest - the daytime feeds are sometimes real short, but I'm still nursing right before offering solids, so the getting the solids in the tummy is still a battle. I'm leery of switching it around for fear he'll only take the solids, but I guess that's progress towards weaning, which I have to do for 11 months.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast