FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    StaceyTX
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Poop!!!

I'm trying to see if Jacob's poop is normal or if I really need to be worried about food allergies. So...can you help me out?

Can you describe your babies poop? Please let me know if your baby is exclusively breastfed or if he/she ever has formula or any type cereal/baby food.

Jacob is exclusively breastfed, so that is what I'm most interested in. If it wouldn't be so disgusting, I'd ask for you to share a picture of a normal dirty diaper!!! LOL! And yes, I have been taking pics of his dirty diapers to show the ped/allergist!!!

Thanks!!!

PS. Jacob has really green, muscousy, slimy, yet sometimes seedy poop.
    Born in Heaven 12/5/01
    9 years old
    7years old
    4 years old

"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - unknown

2. Advertisement

Basherte
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy
    DS is exclusively BF, has never had formula, and started solids at 6 months (no meat, eggs, citrus or fish yet and minimal dairy). His poops are solid and tend to be greenish brown. They are soft enough that a wipe definitely is needed to help with clean up. They are not mucousy, slimy, or seedy in any way. When he gets a little constipated I give him prunes for breakfast and that takes care of it...he has had only 1 day in his entire life when he did not poop at all (that happened to be yesterday!).

I hope this helps!!!!!
    Me 42 DH 42
    DS (from first marriage) 04/23/97
    Dx: Male Factor; ttc 1 year; 2 IUI's BFN; IVF/ICSI #1 July 2006 BFP!!!
    4/8/07 Our miracle boy!!!

"Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right" -The Grateful Dead
    "Greater is the one who facilitates than the one who does"- Talmud

loveliest1
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy
    Hi Stacey! Cheyenne has never had formula (YAY!!), no cereal, nothing but breast milk! Her poops are always yellowish-brown, sometimes seedy, sometimes not (don't know why?). They are pretty watery and a lot of times soak right into the diaper like the pee does. Every once in a while, it looks a little mucousy or stringy looking, but hasn't really gotten green.

Hope that helps!
    Kasey
    C, 10/2007
    L, 1/2006

Come see my Etsy shop!

http://froggiesboutique.etsy.com/

aster333
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    We have gone through periods of green slimy stringy poos. I was freaking out so I actually brought a dirty diaper to the nurse! She was not worried because she said it was not mucus (apparently real mucus would be slimier).
    Hew suggestion was to first eliminate dairy for me for 4 weeks and see if anything changes, and second they reason may have been foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. She used to eat just a little bit every hour and would not get to the fatty hind milk. To correct this, they told me to feed from one boob for up to 2 or 3 hours and then switch. Third, they thought she might me smallawing too much air because I have a forceful letdown, so they recommended that I recline when I start feeding. Also, I suspected (and still suspect) that her vitamins were causing it. I stopped giving them to her (TriViSol) for about a month. So I tied all of the above and it went away. I now started giving her TriViSol again a few times a week, and I think it still gives her green poo. Another thing you could try (I was told by the nurse to do it, but could not keep up too much work) - pump and feed from a bottle. This will take care of foremilk/hindmilk imbalance.
    Having said that, its Ok for BF babies to have the green poop sometimes.

Hope this helps to take the mastery out of it - it caused me a lot of time spent on line researching and several visits to he doctor. I still don't know what helped since I tried all of it at the same time. Good luck.
    3 IUIs = BFN
    IVF#1 (5dt on 9/10/06) = Ectopic
    FET#1 (1/30/07) - DD born 10/25/07
    FET#2 Feb 09 = BFN
    FET#3 Apr 09 = BFN
    FET#4 6/23/09 - TWIN DDs born 2/25/10

LouHoo
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for being redundant. I've posted this before, but it's always helpful to me when I'm worried about poop issues. This is an excerpt from a booklet that my pediatrician gives to all new parents.

In the first few days of life your baby will have his first bowel movement, which is often referred to as passing meconium. This thick, dark-green or black substance filled his intestines before birth, and it must be eliminated before normal digestion can take place. Once the meconium is passed, the stools will turn yellow-green.

If your baby is breastfed, his stools should soon resemble light mustard with seedlike particles. Until he starts to eat solid foods, the consistency of the stools should be soft, even slightly runny. If he's formula-fed, his stools usually will be tan or yellow in color. They will be firmer than in a baby who is breastfed but no firmer than peanut butter.

Whether breastfed or bottle-fed, if your baby has hard or very dry stools, it may be a sign that he is not getting enough fluid, or that he is losing too much fluid due to illness, fever or heat. Once he has started solids, hard stools might indicate that he's eating too many constipating foods, such as cereal or cow's milk, before his system can handle them. (Whole cow's milk is not recommended for babies under 12 months.)

Keep in mind that occasional variations in color and consistency of the stools are normal. For example, if the digestive process slows down because the baby has had a particularly large amount of cereal that day or foods requiring more effort to digest, the stools may become green; if the baby is given supplemental iron, the stools may turn dark brown. If there is a minor irritation of the anus, streaks of blood may appear on the outside of the stools. However, if there are large amounts of blood, mucus or water in the stool, call your pediatrician immediately. These symptoms may indicate severe diarrhea or an intestinal abnormality.

Paz
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    yellow, liquidy with seeds is normal. smells like freshly baked bread, sort of.

green or dark brown is not. foul smell is not.

aster333
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.drjaygordon.com/developme...ricks/poop.asp

this is a good article about poop.
    3 IUIs = BFN
    IVF#1 (5dt on 9/10/06) = Ectopic
    FET#1 (1/30/07) - DD born 10/25/07
    FET#2 Feb 09 = BFN
    FET#3 Apr 09 = BFN
    FET#4 6/23/09 - TWIN DDs born 2/25/10

LouHoo
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aster - Great article!

MyFabFour
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If it's always green, slimy and mucousy, I'd say an imbalance of fore/hind milk or allergy. Charlotte's were usually a range of yellowish and somewhat mustardlike. She's on solids now so I won't share a picture I'll have to go back and read Aster's article.

3boys2luv
    is melting!!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    We had this here for literally months. In fact, I posted about it, too. LOL. I took a diaper in because it kept on even after I cut out milk products, he nursed only on one side at a feeding (they watched and weren't thinking imbalance of fore/hindmilk) and he's only brestfed. They ran stool sample test and everything came back fine. Oh, I don't give the vitamins and the smell was always normal breastfed baby poop smell. I can't believe I just typed that, but you all know what I mean!

Apparently it's just his normal. It isn't bright green, more of a greenish yellow, sometimes there are seedy looking things but most of the time there aren't any. My doctor talked to some others and they ended up telling me as long as there is no fever or any other sign of a problem and he's still gaining weight well (and he was) then it's just his normal. Now, having said that, they did say that one thing I could do was to leave the diaper somewhere for a while and recheck it. If it absorbs most of it, then it's fine. If it doesn't get absorbed then it's really mucous and if that continued they'd want to retest him. He was drooling a TON at that time, so I'm thinking it may have been related to swallowing too much saliva.

It's still greenish yellow and hardly any seeds but not slimy anymore. So, I don't know. It drove me nuts and I was really worried until the lab reported everything was fine and it is now changing. Don't know if I've helped, but I hope so. You can always request a stool test if you are concerned.
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by chickens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast