by, 12-12-2007 at 10:20 PM (276 Views)
Monday morning dh and I spoke to our nanny about some of the issues we've been having. We told her how upset we were about the bathroom, especially since she didn't tell us about it. I also mentioned the safety issues with the Pine Sol left in the bathroom and leaving the oven on. I didn't even mention anything about the computer or some of the other things that have bothered me. I was not happy with her response about how the bathroom incident occurred, and I pretty much let her know that in a nice way. At that point she kind of went off the deep end. She told us that she had too much responsibility, the hours are too long, the kids are difficult, etc., etc. She made complaints about things that she laughed about in the past (i.e., she complained I had scheduled a Friday playdate when several weeks ago she laughed about a nanny that told her she doesn't do them). She then told us that she can't continue with us and is going to leave. I let her know the feeling is mutual about the fact that this is not working out and we agreed her last day would be on Friday.
Originally, I tried to work things out to continue working. I called the Agency where I got her and asked them to find nannies to interview. We called a new daycare in the area to see if they could take the kids. The cost of the daycare was prohibitive, and the couple of nannies that called thought the hours were too long. At that point dh and I decided that it just isn't worth it. I don't love my job anyway, and I HATE being away from my kids that amount of hours. We were not going to find a new nany before Monday and that put me, and my firm, in a very bad place. They finally gave me work and I couldn't see a way to avoid missing a few weeks while I searched for a new nanny. So, we decided I should quit.
Tuesday I went into the office and gave notice. The partner I work for was very upset to hear the news. She told me that she expected me to go far in the firm if I were to stay. I explained all of my reasons for leaving and that I didn't see a way to avoid it. She told me that if she thought she could convince me to stay she would talk to me all night, but that if I was firm in my decision she would stop. After she told the managing partner (who is out this week), she came back and said she would offer more money or better hours if she thought it would help, but that she didn't think it would. She was right.
I do want to work, but I just don't think that this was the right situation for me. Dh works longer hours than I do, and the kids didn't have either parent home for more than a short time each day. After the new year I will start looking again for something part-time or I will go back to per diem work. I need to do something satisfying, but that leaves me time with the kids.
My last day is Friday and I can't wait! :
I told the kids this morning that I will be staying home again starting next week and they all cheered. Jillian told me I should tell my office that I miss my kids. She also said that if I want to work I should do it while she is in school. It's amazing the way those little minds work!