FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

dnjblohm
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Sleepy

Trigger shot give false OPK results??

Hi there. Does anyone know if an hcg trigger shot can cause a prolonged (i.e. lasting longer than 2 days) positive OPK? I had trigger shot yesterday AM, and yesterday late afternoon I had a positive OPK, and another positive OPK this afternoon. I'm just wondering if it will turn negative or stay positive (if the hcg from the shot causes a false positive). Anyone know? Thanks!

2. Advertisement

alybel
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    the trigger shot does give a false positive on the OPK, as the hcg and lh have a smiliar structure.. so, the opk won't give you an indication of when you ovulate after having a trigger injection. Good luck!!

JulieB2
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by alybel
    the trigger shot does give a false positive on the OPK, as the hcg and lh have a smiliar structure.. so, the opk won't give you an indication of when you ovulate after having a trigger injection. Good luck!!

Ditto! HCG is chemically the same (plus an arm) and will blow opks positive until the HCG is out of your system (10-14dpo), just as you would wait to test with an hpt until then, opks will be positive as well. Good luck and +++ thoughts!
    Julie
    Busy Mom to my one and only beautiful dd

"Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage." ~ Lao Tzu ~

DKNY
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    yes.....i have heard that once you trigger the OPK's become unlreliable.

good luck!
    Dina

I frizzle chickens!!

Kim C
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    No advice...just wanted to wish you luck!
    Kim C. ~~S (13), L (16), & L (18)
    TTC for 8 yrs. after Tubal Reversal
    IVF cycle #1 - 4/2010 - m/c
    Hoping for a miracle!

TTCgrl
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since the HCG trigger shot takes 10-14 days to get out of the system and it takes about that long to start testing positive for pg test, would an OPK test remain positive throughout the whole 2ww if one were pregnant?

DKNY
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    TTCgrl...not sure if you realized that this post you bumped up is 3 years old. not that it matters i assume you were searching for some answers and came upon this post.

in answer to your question...generally the quantity of the trigger you use determines how long it will stay in your system. the rule of thumb is that the body will discard a 1000 units per day. so if you use a 10,000 unit trigger it should be out of your system after 10 days and hopefully have no influence on a HPT 4-5 days later.

as for ther OPK...i don't have a definitive answer to that because i don't know that anyone here has actually continued to OPK for 2 weeks post trigger. i do know that there have been many women here who will buy a surplus of HPTs (either online or at the dollar store) and use them everyday after triggering so they can see exactly when the trigger no longer has an influence on the HPT. this will hopefully yield them accurate results should they decide to HPT a few days later.

HTH
    Dina

I frizzle chickens!!

TTCgrl
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the breakdown of the info DC-DKNY!! I'm 5 dpiuiTS and have been testing every day so I don't miss the one (or more) day that it is not showing positive then I can test and hopefully get a REAL positive and started wondering if it would stay positive maybe throughout the 2ww!! I had a 10,000 unit shot.

As for the thread I had done a google search and it lead me to this page lol so yeah I had noticed it was from 2007

DKNY
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Buzzed
    Quote Originally Posted by TTCgrl View Post
    I'm 5 dpiuiTS and have been testing every day so I don't miss the one (or more) day that it is not showing positive then I can test and hopefully get a REAL positive and started wondering if it would stay positive maybe throughout the 2ww!! I had a 10,000 unit shot.
    that's exactly what i was talking about!!! good luck!! let us know the outcome.
    Dina

I frizzle chickens!!