FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

slkatz
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

OPK Shows LH surge for 4 days - what does that mean?

I started testing on Day 12 and the OPK surge line has been strong for 4 days now. That doesn't seem right, doesn't it? Does that mean a false positive?

2. Advertisement

Kristina921
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have PCOS? That can cause a false positive...Are they really positive or just really close? I've gotten a few around the time of the actual surge where they were *almost* positive but the test line has to be as dark or darker than the control line...

Good Luck!
    Me - 28 , DH - 30
    ttc # 1 ,
    4 Angels in Heaven

confirmed PCOS 07/04
    http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/13980e

AEO&A
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    This cycle I got a + on Sun pm, Mon am & pm, and Tue am. I guess that really was only 36 hours for me though. I'm not really sure. Hopefully one of the gurus can answer for ya. Good Luck!

slkatz
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    i don't have PCOS and I am not on any of the fertility meds that were on the list that could affect results...I am baffled and our IVF nurse is not on call this weekend...

Maura
    has no status.
    Board Coordinator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi there: It's very common to have more than one day of ++OPK ... many women stop testing after the first day so they are unaware of this ... I know I've seen 2-3 days of ++OPK without there being an issue ...by 4 days I'd expect to start seeing the surge disappear ...

What do the OPKs look like? When you say "strong" lines, are the result lines the same or darker than the reference lines?

I'll check back++++++++++++++
    Maura

bhoban
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I pulled this out of an article I was reading off another link I found in reference to a different question I had....

A hormone called lutenizing hormone (LH) peaks in the blood and urine one to two days before ovulation, at the onset of the most fertile period in the cycle. The length of the LH surge varies from woman to woman, lasting between 10 and 31 hours in about half of women, less than 10 hours in 38 percent, and over 31 hours in 12 percent. Research has proven that LH surge is among the best indicators of ovulation, and the kits that Consumer Reports tested are based on LH measurement.

Hope this helps!

Brandie

slkatz
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. The surge line has been consistenly much darker than the reference line since Day 12 of my cycle. Today is Day 16.