FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

Janere
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Waking temps or same time every day?

Hi ladies,

I have a question. Should I be taking my temperature at the same time everyday or when I first wake up? Because I've been taking my temp at the very same time everyday, but sometimes I'll wake up 30 minutes to an hour before that and either stay awake, or doze on and off until my alarm goes off.

I'm not sure which temp I should be taking. Any thoughts?

2. Advertisement

Maura
    has no status.
    Board Coordinator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Janere: Better to take it when you first wake up, even if the time isn't exactly the same each morning... the basal temp is supposed to be your temp upon waking, which is very different from your temp when you've been awake... even 30 minutes lying in bed awake or dozing can affect the temp... just make a note if the time is different from usual.

Good luck and keep us posted++++++++++++
    Maura

Ferret Mommy
    sure needs some positive thoughts! :)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    In Love
    I take mine at the same time ( well within about 30mins) and then if I really do not get up until later I take it again. I just make notes of the times and use the same time temp on my charts. The reason I do that is because I may get up to go potty an hour before I need to chart. Sorry if that is more confusing!! Kat

Janere
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've had different people tell me different things so I'm not sure what to do. I'm 9 DPO and I've been taking my temp at 6:00 am every morning, but I often wake up before that.

So my question now is, if I start taking it when I wake up won't that make my chart inaccurate? I took it at 4:45 this morning when I first woke up and that temp puts me below my cover line. I immediately went back to sleep and when I took it again at 6:00 it was in the same range as it has been.

I wrote down my waking temp and I'll chart that along side my usual 6:00 am temp and see what happens, but it dropping below my cover line at 4:45 this morning was very depressing.

Any thoughts?

Maura
    has no status.
    Board Coordinator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Janere: Taking your temp at different times will possibly give you different temps, but so may taking your temp at the same time each day even if you have been lying in bed awake for a while!

Here's how I would do it (and did it when I was temping): If you wake up in the very early morning, but immediately go right back to sleep, I wouldn't take your temp. I would just take it upon waking for the day.

Your temps might be a little erratic if you are a frequent waker or if you take your temp at different times each day, but it's still possible to see an ovulatory pattern. For example, I get up to use the bathroom at least once, and usually twice, each night. Even if I did that within 3 hours of waking, I just recorded my temp at whatever time I woke for the day and I never had problems seeing when I ovulated (although sometimes getting the EXACT day was a little tricky).

How far did your temp fall this morning? And have your temps otherwise been good? I wouldn't worry about one temp. It's the big picture that counts! Let's hope it goes back up tomorrow...

Best wishes to you and keep us posted++++++++++
    Maura

Janere
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maura,

Here are my temps:

CD 1- 97.4
    CD 2- 97.5
    CD 3- 97.3
    CD 4- 97.4
    CD 5- 97.5
    CD 6- 97.8
    CD 7- 98.2
    CD 8- 97.4
    CD 9- 97.4
    CD10- 97.3
    CD11- 96.8
    CD12- 97.0
    CD13- 97.1 +OPK
    CD14- 97.4 +OPK IUI
    CD15- 97.3 +OPK IUI
    CD16- 97.6
    CD17- 97.9 Started progesterone
    CD18- 97.9
    CD19- 97.9
    CD20- 98.0
    CD21- 97.9
    CD22- 97.9
    CD23- 98.0 But my earlier temp at 4:45 was 97.3 (I went right back to sleep)

I think that if I wake up early I'm going to go ahead and chart it on my sheet in a different color so I can see both temps at the same time. I know that sounds crazy, but it's the only thing I can think of to do. *sigh*

trustinginHim
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm pretty sure that Taking Charge of Your Fertility teaches you how to adjust your temps if you get up at different times.. It's something like a tenth of a degree every half hour off your typical waking time. I can't find my book right now, but if you have it you could look it up.

Maura
    has no status.
    Board Coordinator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Janere: First, I see you as 8 dpo, not 9 dpo at least from your temps (Oing on cd 15)... You know, there is a secondary surge of estrogen that takes place about a week after O and which sometimes causes temps to drop for a day... maybe that's what this was.... I bet your temp will go back up tomorrow!

As for adjusting your temps, yes, Trusting is right... TCOYF says that temps can rise .2 degree for every hour later you take your temp... some people use this theory to adjust .2 degree downwards for every hour earlier they take their temp.... It's all whatever makes you most comfortable... personally, I think recording both temps is fine (I often did that)... at least then you have all of the facts!

Don't worry about that one temp... let's see what happens tomorrow.

Good luck and keep us posted++++++++++++
    Maura