FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

pepper
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cost of Chinese Medicine/Acupunture/Herbs?

Is it usually pretty expensive?

I am having issues with my cycles - spotting/bleeding for up to 10 days out of a 24 day cycle, super short LPs, etc. GYNs blow me off. The RE I met with this morning wanted to jump right into medicated cycles. I just want someone to figure out what the problem is and treat it. I just wish there was something within our insurance...

I looked up a couple of local accupuncturists and one charges $30 for the consult and then $65 for each acc session. If it were $20 I would love to try it. And then herbs, I don't know if I can stomach taking a bazillion pills a day.

The RE I met with this morning gave me a list of blood tests she wanted done, and that I could take that to the lab or to my GYN. I think I will do that and see what they say, what is normal and what is not, and if it can be fixed... I'll call the GYN and see if they have a lab/phlebotomist and I can just show up on day 2 or 3 of my next cycle. At this point, I just want my hormones in balance and if a pg happens naturally, then great!!

Oh, I also saw a holistic medicine practice near me too. I will call and check what insurance they take.

2. Advertisement

puffinswife
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I pay $70 for a 30 min session and $25 for a 2 weeks bottle worth of herbs. It is expensive but supposed to help with circulation. I do notice I sleep better when I don't forget to take my herbs as prescribed 2x/day! $30 is good for a consult, I paid $65 for 20 min!
    36, DH-39
    TTC- 3+ yrs
    '07-3 clomid, BFN
    '08-3 IUI, BFN
    May '09-1 IUI w/ inj., BFN
    July-hysterscopy and D&C to remove uterine polyps
    9/22-ready to start AF so I could start IVF meds.
    9/24/09-No AF, No IVF, SURPRISE BFP!!
    Beta #1: 1,062
    9/29/09-Beta #2: 9,819
    10/7/09-Beta #3: 63,000
    10/13/09..h/b 150 bpm!!
    EDD-June 1, 2010

marnieblue
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am lucky that acupuncture is covered for me (The ONLY IF related thing they cover). My first consult/treatment was $100. Each hour session after that is $65. My acupuncturist makes me powered herbs, not pills or tea that I put into warm water and drink twice a day. The first batch is $40 and after that they are all $20 per week UNLESS I am having another issue (Clotting, bloating, headache, cold....) where she has to change my "formula." I like the taste of mine and they never bother my stomach. Have you checked out The Fertile Soul website? You can do a consult through them and fill out their questionnaire and order herbs through them. http://www.thefertilesoul.com/ I have known two women have success doing this.

Mrs Bunny
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My accupuncturist charges $75 for a 45 minute session, and works from a small no-frills ofice.

Given that my RE would normally charge about $250 for the same amount of time (45 minutes) I think the acupuncture is a steal!
    Me (39) fsh 15+, DH (40)
    IVF#1 2009 - cancelled
    IVF#2 2009 - BFN
    IVF#3 2009 - BFP!!

raquielle
    raquielle
    has no status.
    Edit
    It's all relative. My acupuncturist charges $60 per session. The herbs ran me around $50 per month. I did IVF with acupuncture and herbs.

PiedmontRachel
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Acupuncture cost

My acupuncturist charges $78 per visit, with discounts for prepaid packages of care. I estimate I spent at least $3,000 on acupuncture, massage, and herbal medicine during the course of one year of treatment, but it has been the best health investment of my life. Not only did I get pregnant, but with my acupuncturist's help I made significant (often dramatic) improvements in my health.

My menstrual cramps and PMS went away (and has stayed away), my acne is a lot better, and I feel like I understand my health a lot better. I've become a huge fan of Chinese medicine.

wintergirl
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    OMG OMG I was charged $200 for the consult (granted it was 2 hours) and it has cost me about $200 EACH WEEK for the acupunture and herbs!!! She charges $100 for the acupunture session and the herbs have been running another $100/week!!! I cannot afford this!!!

Are you guys only paying $60/week seeing a FERTILITY acupuncturist or a general one??

MrsIke
    is jumping on the fertility bandwagon again
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    I pay $50 for acupuncture with acupressure The whole appt lasts an hour. I don't take herbs. I notice a huge difference in my body temp and my skin is much clearer. Dr Han in diamond bar, CA. Experience In acupuncturists/ herbalists run 7 generations deep in his family. I believe he has another office in orange county as well
    Me-35 DH-44

AmyJH
    is hopeful!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Breezy
    I know this is a rather old thread but I wanted to share that I recently began consulting with Patricia Karnowski (Natural fertility treatments irregular period treated, fertility). I'm only on my second cycle of taking the custom formula she put together for me, but I can say that I had ZERO clots with my period after one month and my cramps weren't nearly as bad. Usually, it feels like my DH kicked me in my lower back all night on the first day of my cycle.

It's $150 (one time fee) for a consult and to work with you until you concieve (or 6-9 months). The custom formula is $190 a month. It seems like a lot and I took a chance and went out on a limb but I have seen a difference.