FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-996-7283

PaleSpring
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

do you take wheatgrass

Hi ladies!

I had some questions for anyone who takes/previously took wheatgrass. Which type did you take -shots, powder, tablets? Where did you get it from and what dosage did you take?

Thanks so much!
    Me: 29 DH: 31 TTC 4 yrs. Unexplained
    6 IUIs: 2010-11
    IVM: Feb '12. 9 eggs, 6 mature, 2 fert. ET of 2
    IVF: Apr '12. 14 eggs, 7 mature, 5 fert. d5t of 1 blast, 2 frozen
    FET: Sept '12. 1 d5 blast. BFP!!!!!! Thank You God!!
    Viability scan: Oct 2. Heartbeat!
    DD: May 25, 2013

2. Advertisement

2011baby
    is pregnant

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Scared
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleSpring View Post
    Hi ladies!

I had some questions for anyone who takes/previously took wheatgrass. Which type did you take -shots, powder, tablets? Where did you get it from and what dosage did you take?

Thanks so much!
    hi there - i tired wheat grass, not for fertility, just as a cleanse; i go to acupuncture to assist w fertility and if "excess heat" is not your problem, shots of wheatgrass will not be good for you; so, i stopped; trying to get my body in synch

AshleySue
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi! My body does not have excessive heat, and my acupuncturist is still a huge fan of me taking it. In fact, she said she believes that everyone should take it - that the health benefits are amazing!

I played around, too, and I asked her what she thought about how I take it. Someone on some board had said if you don't take the frozen cubes, you aren't doing yourself any good. Those are $1 a cube, though, and that is PRICEY. If I were loaded, maybe I'd take it. But still, the box of the frozen cubes at my local health food store didn't have ANY information listed as far as what nutrients I was getting from them. That was sketchy to me. Especially to be charging a small fortune for them. (Plus, my doctor said that was just bunk!)

I take Amazing Grass brand. I buy it from Amazon.com because it is actually way cheaper from there than it is in all of our local health stores. It's powder. My acupuncturist (trained in TCM and has her full licensing, as well as heading the North Carolina TCM association as president) said she's all for the way I take it. I take a shot a day (the container comes with a scooper) in a jar of OJ. I put it in a jar because the wheat grass is really a bit yucky with anything other than OJ (in my opinion), and on top of that, it gets clumpy in drink, so I put the jar lid on, shake it for a minute, then chug it down. Then I rinse the jar with water, and drink that down, too.

If you order it online, search "Amazing Grass Organic Wheat Grass Powder". It comes in a canister of 30 servings, or one of 60 servings. I get the big one because it's the best bang for my buck (two months worth of powder for less than $33), and do pay attention, because Amazing Grass makes other types of powdered super-food supplementals, so you do not want to order the wrong thing. Make sure it is wheat grass! I also ordered the tablets from Amazon for when I travel. I keep the powder in the fridge, and traveling with it and mixing it can be quite a hassle, so the tablets make traveling and still getting wheat grass easier.

Best of luck!
    Last edited by AshleySue; 09-12-2011 at 08:23 AM. Reason: forgot a fact to mention!
    Newlywed! But then...
    FSH: 61.9 (mid-cycle, 12/2010)
    Had a year of irregular and/or anovulatory cycles, which are becoming healthy again!
    Prayer, Faith, and Eastern Med to heal my body, as Western has already failed me.

Dx: Optimistic!
    Check the Fertility Pickle and my journey! http://fertilitypickle.com
    My high FSH, POF/POI, high Faith road to parenthood! We'll get there!

PaleSpring
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys

AshleySue, I was also thinking to use the Amazing Grass. I had bought the powder bottle from my local health food store, it was $33 for the 30 serving bottle and on Amazon for that much you can get the 60 serving! I think I will just return it and just order online. There are also supershots from DrWheatGrass, those are about $1 a shot. I wasnt sure of the serving of the powder, because the box says they rcommend 1-3 servings a day, in which case I thought perhaps it will just be more cost effective to buy the shots because you only need one shot a day

2011baby, I dont know about excess heat, but on another board I am on, there is a licensed Naturopathic Doctor who specializes in fertility care and reproductive health and she really recommends wheatgrass. She said its one of the traditional fertility superfoods, rich in chlorophyll, antioxidants, minerals, enzymes and is also good for overall health of the body. And that animals grazing on wheatgrass have increased egg quality. So I think I will give it a try. I still have a month before I see my acupuncturist but I want to at least start taking wheatgrass from now, so that I will have at least 3 months of taking it before my egg transfer

2011baby
    is pregnant

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Scared
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleSpring View Post
    Thanks guys

AshleySue, I was also thinking to use the Amazing Grass. I had bought the powder bottle from my local health food store, it was $33 for the 30 serving bottle and on Amazon for that much you can get the 60 serving! I think I will just return it and just order online. There are also supershots from DrWheatGrass, those are about $1 a shot. I wasnt sure of the serving of the powder, because the box says they rcommend 1-3 servings a day, in which case I thought perhaps it will just be more cost effective to buy the shots because you only need one shot a day

2011baby, I dont know about excess heat, but on another board I am on, there is a licensed Naturopathic Doctor who specializes in fertility care and reproductive health and she really recommends wheatgrass. She said its one of the traditional fertility superfoods, rich in chlorophyll, antioxidants, minerals, enzymes and is also good for overall health of the body. And that animals grazing on wheatgrass have increased egg quality. So I think I will give it a try. I still have a month before I see my acupuncturist but I want to at least start taking wheatgrass from now, so that I will have at least 3 months of taking it before my egg transfer
    sounds good! i personally was not able to stomach the shot and was sick to my stomach the whole day of drinking it; guess my body is in bad shape!! if i am not pg now i will be restarting, as we will be taking a month off of ivf meds; i will be curious to hear how your ivm consult goes; what is the main difference bwn that and ivf?

PaleSpring
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ya I have heard some people have a hard time digesting it and getting their body used to it. Maybe because it is like a detox so its good to start in small doses so its not a huge shock to the system?

IVM is like the new younger sister of IVF. Its in-vitro maturation, as opposed to in-vitro fertilization. The main difference between the two is that in IVM, the eggs are still immature when they are retrieved, but in IVF they are retrieved when they are mature. In IVM, the immature eggs are first matured in the lab, and then they are fertilized with ICSI and then transferred back. From fertilization onwards, IVM and IVF is the exact same, the differences are just in what happens before that. For IVM, usually you take little or no meds. So since the stimulation isnt as aggressive as IVF, its a good option for women at risk of hyperstimulation from all the IVF drugs. I have a high antral follicle count, so my doctor was worried that I might overstimulate with the IVF medications. Plus since she thinks I am still young, she doesnt want me to unnecessarily go through the more strenuous treatment of IVF unless I have to and thinks IVM is the safer route for me, especially on my first try. So I will just take a light protocol of meds, somewhat similar to what I was taking to stimulate for IUI and then they will retrieve the immature eggs from me and allow them to mature for 24-48 hours in the lab. The fertilization and implantation rates are supposed to be pretty much the same as IVF rates. ICSI and assisted hatching are also done on all IVM transfes. So lets see what happens! For those who have to pay for their meds and treatment, IVM is also cheaper since there are either little meds involved or none at all. It is still a new treatment, not all clinics even offer it and many of those who do are not sufficiently skilled in it. I am grateful that my clinic has many doctors and embryologists who are experts in the field of IVM and apparently the clinic has one of the highest success rates of IVM, otherwise I dont think I would have been giving it a try, as I did have a hard time decided between IVM and IVF. But I hope I made the right decision and this works for us!!! I will post an update after my consult next week

If you are interested, here is more on IVM from my clinic's website (McGill Reproductive Center)
    http://www.mcgillivf.com/e/McGillIVF...ge=184.186.212
    Last edited by PaleSpring; 09-12-2011 at 11:13 AM.

2011baby
    is pregnant

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Scared
    thanks for all the info - i am 37 so doubt that this would be applicable for me; although i have good FSH and AMH #s, I do not product a large # of follicles, even on high doses of stim drugs; i would love to not have to put as many meds in my system; it just cant be good long term and i really worry about the cancer risk

junea9
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey friends thanks for the discussion. I have came across very
    good information after reading it. You have done really good work
    thanks once again for sharing the information.

MBS822
    Think Positive!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have Celiac Disease and the verdict is still out on Wheatgrass for us. Supposedly, as long as the wheat grass hasn't sprouted, Celiac's should be okay. I tried a pill, and things did not go so well. I think if I grew it myself and could monitor it, I would feel better about it. How do I know the stuff I am ordering online is all Gluten Free? I wish I could take it, because the benefits are supposed to be so good for those of us with certain issues. Same thing goes for Bee Pollen/Royal Jelly. It's a bummer, but it is what it is. I can do CoQ10 at least!
    Celiac Disease
    Pernicious Anemia
    High FSH
    September 2011
    - IUI #1
    - BFN
    December 2011
    - IVF #1
    - freeze all, 11 frosties
    Jan/Feb 2012
    - FET #1
    - 5 day transfer of 2, 4aa blasts