FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Looking for a Fertility Doctor? 855-491-2833

DawnL
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Corn in Rice Chex?

Oh, please say it isn't so!

I was on the KWFA boards, and one of the moms said she had contacted Chex about it. She was told that Rice Chex does have corn in it. Has anyone here with corn allergy had problems with it? It is one of the very few things we've settled on that Jeran could eat.

I feel like I will never get all the corn out of his diet. It's like it doesn't matter if I even try, because if I never get every bit of it out, we'll never know how it affects him.
    DawnL Jim 21 wonderful years!
    Daphne-artist Jeran-future Spiderman Jalen-future Nascar champ

2. Advertisement

Paula_in_DE
    is winter over yet?
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cynical
    I looked on their site and I didn't see it under the ingredients. Seems okay to me. Cereals are very hard for us as my ds is allergic to rice and corn.

http://www.chex.com/products/products.aspx

Click on the product and then you can read the list of ingredients.
    Air Force wife of over a decade. Moving is a forced hobby of mine. Mom to 2 IVF miracles ds (9) and dd (4)
    "Be yourself everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde "True friends stab you in the front." Oscar Wilde

spring
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm guessing the Vitamin E is a corn derivative, but I'm not sure - it's often either corn or soy... fwiw, the BHT is a preservative that is often suggested to not give to kids with food sensitivities. Or for all I know the BHT is made from corn since everything else on earth is

Does your Fred Meyer have Rice Bitz? It's corn-free and is a lot like Rice Chex. The other cereal our dd eats is Erewhon Brown Rice Krispies.

spring
    spring
    DTC Dec 2001

StaceyTX
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I remember not being able to use Rice Chex for Kaden at first. And that is when we were avoiding corn. We use it now, but we don't avoid corn as much as we did early on. But like Spring, we used the store brand and the Erewhon Brown Rice Krispies.
    Born in Heaven 12/5/01
    9 years old
    7years old
    4 years old

"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - unknown

DawnL
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spring
    I'm guessing the Vitamin E is a corn derivative, but I'm not sure - it's often either corn or soy... fwiw, the BHT is a preservative that is often suggested to not give to kids with food sensitivities. Or for all I know the BHT is made from corn since everything else on earth is

Does your Fred Meyer have Rice Bitz? It's corn-free and is a lot like Rice Chex. The other cereal our dd eats is Erewhon Brown Rice Krispies.

spring
    Hey, Spring, does your dd do Rice Bitz? The box I have lists Barley Malt in it. Plus the packaging lists BHT.

I just don't know what to do. I will think I'm getting a handle on things, and then see that I'm just not. And I have no idea of his behavior is reaction to something he ate or not!

spring
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dawn,

Our dd eats Rice Bitz every now and then... we started buying it back when she was first diagnosed with her corn allergy and had already been wheat-free and gluten-free for a long time. Gluten has never been as huge of an issue for her as straight wheat, but she breaks out in general with glutenous grains. SOOOO.... when we first went to Rice Bitz I was sitting there in the store telling myself NO CORN NO CORN etc... and basically blocked knowing that wheat-allergic kids should also avoid barley. Soooo... we fed it to her for a long time. She has tiny random outbreaks every now and then that have lessened significantly since she cut back on how much of the Rice Bitz she eats on her own - she went from eating it for breakfast to wanting to eat hot rice cereal. So we're kind of stuck in that place where I think she reacts to it in a small way, so I'm trying to keep it out of her diet, but every now and then I'll let her have some.

FWIW our box doesn't have BHT on the label - it the BHT in the cereal or the packaging material?

Honestly, it's so always something isn't it? We had a really rough fall and now have more issues to deal with at school. I seriously need a vacation from allergies!

Hope all is well in WA

spring
    spring
    DTC Dec 2001

DawnL
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spring
    FWIW our box doesn't have BHT on the label - it the BHT in the cereal or the packaging material?

Spring, I just realized I never came back and answered your question....It says it's in the packaging material. HTH!

spring
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dawn!

spring
    spring
    DTC Dec 2001